Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Sep 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,171 of 1,332
  I have my original pair of Allison IVs from 1977, haven't listened to them in a while as the woofers ripped when I last moved, I need to find at least
one replacement and preferably two. I liked the idea of the matched speaker components but probably have to give that idea up.

What do you mean "woofer ripped"? If it's the surround of woofer deteriorated, you can buy re-foam kit from ePay and re-form yourself.

And, the tweeters alone are worth lot of money.

I am asking since I have Allison 1, 2 and 3, and hate to see such wonderful speakers not used. (Although I must confess I didn't rotate mine also since I have to reform them).
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,172 of 1,332
One woofer needs refoaming the other has a tear in the woofer cone itself, so that one needs to be replaced.
I love the Allison sound and one of my biggest regrets is missing a pair of Allison Ones that sold tor $100 off craigslist here and were in pristine condition. The ones were the first true high end speaker I ever spent time listening to, being a poor college student at the time I settled for the fours which weren't too much of a step down as I prefer mid and high frequency more than bass.
Currently I have a pair of Sonus Faber Concertos which are 15 years old so not quite vintage.
Marty

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #1,177 of 1,332
I picked up a pair of Pioneer S-1010 from Skylab earlier today. Here's a shot of my temporary bedroom setup:

They sound great! The HPM-100s seemed bassy/boomy in comparison, but it might be the less than ideal placement everything has.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,178 of 1,332
Looking good, Tim! And it was nice meeting you. The S-1010 is for sure a much better speaker than the HPM-100. But you could use the HPM-100 as subwoofers driven of your SX-1250 buy picking up some low pass filters from parts express.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,179 of 1,332
Looking good, Tim! And it was nice meeting you. The S-1010 is for sure a much better speaker than the HPM-100. But you could use the HPM-100 as subwoofers driven of your SX-1250 buy picking up some low pass filters from parts express.

Thanks, Rob! I'm glad we were able to meet.

I'll have to give that a shot. After seeing the way you had then S-910 configured in person (people, an SX-1980 is a beautiful thing) I think I might copycat. Rather than a tv, I'll have the receiver on top.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,181 of 1,332
Nice poster by the way. :beerchug:

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,183 of 1,332
Hello, I recently got a pair of B&O S60's at Audio Specialties in Portland, OR and the right speaker is making a vibrating sound on any music I think it might be the tweeter. is it blown out? The guy has a 90 day parts and warranty. I've tried them with all my amps, Kenwood KA-7100, Marantz 4400/4240 and HK 670 and it does it on all and on all inputs. the speaker will also do it at any volume while music is playing. I don't seem to recall this when he demonstrated them in his store and I certainly didn't blow it out. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,184 of 1,332
It's hard to say without hearing it. That could be a a few things. Check for a blown speaker by playing some music at a decent volume and listening to each driver individually. Don't hurt yourself though, just put your ear to each driver. If it sounds funny, listen to it's partner on the good sounding speaker to compare.

If the sound is coming from a driver, it could be a loose part internally to the driver or something more complex happening inside the crossover circuit. If you can localize the sound to a specific driver, try pulling that driver and looking at it carefully. Look for anything stuck to it (like a screw to the magnet, etc) or something behind the cone (damping material, dust bunnies, whatever). If there is no obvious problem, try gently pushing in on the cone to check for a voice coil rub. The cone should glide or even bounce, but definitely not scratch.

If all the drivers work, it could be a loose piece inside the case. Diagnose by pulling the woofer and taking a look inside. You might have to pull everything off to get the best look. It's not uncommon for the internal bracing to come unglued and slap. Also check that everything is firmly attached to your crossovers by gently touching each piece on it and checking if it is loose. Make sure it's unplugged for that. This is a good time to check and replace fuses. If they are foggy or burst, replace them with proper replacements - fast acting fuses of the right rating. Also, if you have an ohmmeter, you can also check again that all drivers are working. Finally, make sure there isn't any loose junk in the bottom of the inside of the case that could be vibrating harmonically. If there's nothing loose inside, put all the damping material back in the case the way it came out, give it one last college try, and return it to the store if the noise is still there.

Hope to hear that everything works out for you.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #1,185 of 1,332
  It's hard to say without hearing it. That could be a a few things. Check for a blown speaker by playing some music at a decent volume and listening to each driver individually. Don't hurt yourself though, just put your ear to each driver. If it sounds funny, listen to it's partner on the good sounding speaker to compare.

If the sound is coming from a driver, it could be a loose part internally to the driver or something more complex happening inside the crossover circuit. If you can localize the sound to a specific driver, try pulling that driver and looking at it carefully. Look for anything stuck to it (like a screw to the magnet, etc) or something behind the cone (damping material, dust bunnies, whatever). If there is no obvious problem, try gently pushing in on the cone to check for a voice coil rub. The cone should glide or even bounce, but definitely not scratch.

If all the drivers work, it could be a loose piece inside the case. Diagnose by pulling the woofer and taking a look inside. You might have to pull everything off to get the best look. It's not uncommon for the internal bracing to come unglued and slap. Also check that everything is firmly attached to your crossovers by gently touching each piece on it and checking if it is loose. Make sure it's unplugged for that. This is a good time to check and replace fuses. If they are foggy or burst, replace them with proper replacements - fast acting fuses of the right rating. Also, if you have an ohmmeter, you can also check again that all drivers are working. Finally, make sure there isn't any loose junk in the bottom of the inside of the case that could be vibrating harmonically. If there's nothing loose inside, put all the damping material back in the case the way it came out, give it one last college try, and return it to the store if the noise is still there.

Hope to hear that everything works out for you.

I unscrewed the tweeter and took it out and it appeared to be the wires that were vibrating against the side? anyways i put the wires kinda to the side and it's no longer making the rattling noise! the speakers sound amazing it's a shame B&O modern stuff is crap when their 70's stuff is awesome. I have S45's as well and when I get a pre-processor I want to use them S45/S60's for a Quad system with my Marantz 4400. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back