Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jul 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #856 of 1,332
Well the new toy syndrome has past, and you know what? I still put them in the top 5 speakers I ever listened to and that includes speakers ranging all the way up to 40,000 Utopias. Of course those were better, but I would say they easily compete with 10,000-15,000 speakers. But also keep in mind that mine are a very rare version with an additional 1000.00 worth of upgrades. So take that with a grain of salt.

I think the tube thing is a myth. Before I got mine I read a pro review of someone greatly preferring ss amps for them. He said the transient response was much better along with deeper much tighter bass. After trying both, I would agree. My vintage tube amp has a very pleasing tonality which I love with the cornwalls. But the bass has a bit too much bloom and lacking a bit of extension. And they don't sound as fast as they do with either of my ss amps.

But I do understand why some people swear by tubes with them though. One reason is the lushness and holographic mids they provide, the other reason is the fact they really don't need but about 5 watts to really sing. But a good warm ss amp kind of give you the best of both worlds.
But there's no denying my 9090db is over kill since it don't give me a lot of headroom on the volume pot. But the combo just sounds sublime.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #857 of 1,332
A very pleasing read, moodyrn. I happen to think Saturdays were made for College Football, College Basketball and pursuit of vintage electronics. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #858 of 1,332
I'm certainly looking forward to the return of college football :D

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #861 of 1,332
I just came across this thread.  95% of my music listening is on headphones now just based on lifestyle changes from when I was a teen/twenty-something.  I have superb classic tower speakers purchased about 25 years ago that are still going strong as my L&R speakers in my home theater setup.

If anyone is familiar with Advent, they once made excellent loudspeakers, primarily two-way.  I own the Advent Maestro which is, I believe, the only three-way tower speaker they ever produced.  They sound fantastic and really bring movie soundtracks to life.  I occasionally take a trip back in time with them and blast some Tom Petty, Boston or The Who.

About 10 years ago, my nephew cranked up the bass and volume to ridiculous levels while listening to hip hop.  He blew out the original woofers.  After I stopped sobbing, I found replacement parts through Jensen in Canada who purchased Advent years ago (that was the end of quality Advent speakers), but they are good as new.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #862 of 1,332
Quote:
I just came across this thread.  95% of my music listening is on headphones now just based on lifestyle changes from when I was a teen/twenty-something.  I have superb classic tower speakers purchased about 25 years ago that are still going strong as my L&R speakers in my home theater setup.

If anyone is familiar with Advent, they once made excellent loudspeakers, primarily two-way.  I own the Advent Maestro which is, I believe, the only three-way tower speaker they ever produced.  They sound fantastic and really bring movie soundtracks to life.  I occasionally take a trip back in time with them and blast some Tom Petty, Boston or The Who.

About 10 years ago, my nephew cranked up the bass and volume to ridiculous levels while listening to hip hop.  He blew out the original woofers.  After I stopped sobbing, I found replacement parts through Jensen in Canada who purchased Advent years ago (that was the end of quality Advent speakers), but they are good as new.

Yup - got a pair of the New Large Advents in my basement system.  These are the two ways with the fried egg tweeter.  Awesome sound!

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #863 of 1,332
Oh Boy! Papa got a new pair of shoes. Driving home with 1971 Cornwalls in pretty awesome shape! Cabinets have some scratches and a small chip. Small tear in one of the grill covers but that's it. They are beautiful.

Not even going to set them up. Gonna give them the restore a finish treatment.

Lots of pics will be posted later.

Oh by the way I paid $550

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #865 of 1,332
That's a steal, they easily go for twice that. I've seen some mint go for as high as 2500 to 3000.00. Don't forget that klipsch still make these and a new pair will set you back 4000.00. And those are said to be better than the cornwall II but not as good as the original cornwalls. If you by chance got the originals, then that's really a steal. Congrats on a great find.

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #866 of 1,332
Cornwall I. Serial starts with J. I think that means 1971.

There worth putting in crite cross overs and ti tweeters.

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #867 of 1,332
Wow, that's a stupid good deal then. I've seen fortes go for much more than that. In fact, someone offered me 700.00 for a pair I use to own. And yes the crites treatment will be more than worth it. Congrats. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #868 of 1,332
First of many posts to come here but first things first -

GO DUCKS ! :D

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #869 of 1,332
Secondly - I read his whole thread and not once read Cerwin Vegas being discussed! My roommate in the early 80's had what I think was D-5's and they rocked!

Anyway, since I got the Pioneer rack system (Spec1 pre/Spec2 amp @250 WPC) that came with no speakers, two buddies came to my aid. One gave me a 1992 Klipsch KG 3.2 pair and the other gave me a pair of Sansui S-1500 towers from early 1980! GAVE me them. Love those guys!

Both handle the Spec 2 well and thump the house nicely. No, the decibel levels stayed sane and wasn't using 500 watts of power but still. :cool:

May look for some Cerwin Vegas from a nostalgia perspective. I'm a headphone lover and my newly modded D7000's sound amazing but sometimes a speaker is the answer........like last night when my Eagles One of these Nights album arrived. Man they sounded good.

Could not pick one over the other at first test. The Sansui are a bit brighter and the Klipsch may thump better but both are good. Pics to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back