Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #10,501 of 19,143
The Audio CD is officially dead:

Can I listen to audio CDs using the PS4 system?
No, the PS4 system [latest hardware by Sony - the creator of audio CDs] does not support audio CDs [unlike its predecessor the PS3].

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #10,502 of 19,143
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10,503 of 19,143
That news is quite old now (as well as posted in the PS4 thread), the PS4 doesn't support MP3, audio cd's none of those except DLNA media, when they announced the PS4 was strictly going to be a gaming console they weren't joking around, the development team behind the PS4 may consider adding those functions in future firmware updates.

Saying the audio cd format is dead because it isn't supported by the PS4 is outright silly, a lot of people didn't use the old PS3 for nothing more than simple gaming, blu-ray movies, don't forget that audiophiles that still spin discs do it on proper transports. 

As with harrnji's Marantz faceplate problem, you can use a similar length screw with the correct thread spacing, use hollow plastic tubes that you can cut down to proper length and use as in-between spacers like the original screw did.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10,504 of 19,143
I found some screws that are OK but right now only the knobs are keeping the faceplate on.

Now someone mentioned to glue it, is that a good idea?

I'd ask Doug to fix it properly.  He is very inexpensive on stuff like this and he may have the exact parts you need laying around. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #10,505 of 19,143
I'd ask Doug to fix it properly.  He is very inexpensive on stuff like this and he may have the exact parts you need laying around. 

That's kinda what I decided on. I got some wooden dowels and cut them down the the correct size and will see if that works.

Right now I am soaking the faceplate and the plastic inner face to get this damned gobs of wood glue off!!!! It's also helping getting the grime embedded into the face off too!

But yes I am gonna have Mr. Doug put in LEDs because there's no way I'm up to doing that at my current skill! I wish Doug gave lessons... Lol he's so awesome. That pioneer rack he had in there was kinda cool. I don't know if it was someone else's but it was still cool. It had that pioneer spec amp like you have.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #10,506 of 19,143
That news is quite old now (as well as posted in the PS4 thread), the PS4 doesn't support MP3, audio cd's none of those except DLNA media, when they announced the PS4 was strictly going to be a gaming console they weren't joking around, the development team behind the PS4 may consider adding those functions in future firmware updates.

Saying the audio cd format is dead because it isn't supported by the PS4 is outright silly, a lot of people didn't use the old PS3 for nothing more than simple gaming, blu-ray movies, don't forget that audiophiles that still spin discs do it on proper transports. 

As with harrnji's Marantz faceplate problem, you can use a similar length screw with the correct thread spacing, use hollow plastic tubes that you can cut down to proper length and use as in-between spacers like the original screw did.

O_o I almost don't believe this.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #10,507 of 19,143
So two int. amps have made their way to my local CL and seem tempting as is. The first is a Pioneer SA-6500 bundled with a Tuner and an optional set of Infinity 1001A speakers. The link for this bundle is here → http://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/4062436397.html 

The other ad that I like and actually find more appealing is one that offers a Kenwood KA-3500. This one appeals to me more in terms of both aesthetics and power. I do need something with more power than what I have now, so it feels like it could be a nice upgrade. Plus distance wise, it is closer to me. So here is the link to that → http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/4149213951.html

What do you guys recommend more?

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #10,508 of 19,143
Mine is a Pioneer SA 8800 integrated amplifier, for digital discs I use Sony BDP-s580 (I will upgrade to OPPO player soon) and for LPs (vinyls for the youngers here) a Marantz TT-15s1 turntable with a MM Clearaudio Cartridge. For my Beyerdynamic 880 250Ohm is absolutely fantastic!, and for my AKG Q701 if you use more knob at the bass control you do not have any regrets with lacking of "real bass" at least you love dubsteb, house or electronic (21th century Disco) music (I use in these situations my Denon DN-P1000 DJ headphones). For few days I have had a Lehmann Audio Black Cube and the only great difference I found was with the Q701s, the soundstage and the treble are more close to floorstanding speakers, I mean... More Real. I can't understand yet how can be so good with the 880s yet. I tuned up this SA 8800 2 year ago to be efficient 100% and I think every good vintage one must have this process first.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #10,509 of 19,143

I think vintage gear lit up at night is even sexier than tubes.

I totally agree. Nighttime listening with all the lights going to just a mesmerizing experience. And I haven't gotten even remotely tired of it
biggrin.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 I say on an arbitrary Friday, we all contribute Night shots of our vintage lovelies... 

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #10,511 of 19,143
  Which part? Well I guess I need to edit my post as well as the PS4 doesn't support DLNA either.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2304254/sony-ps4-will-not-support-mp3-dnla-or-audio-cd

Sounds like they wouldn't let you play blu-ray movies either if they could...sheesh

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #10,512 of 19,143

Did you only deoxit phone jack? You have to clean the volume, balance, tremble, bass control pots. Especially volume pot, Nak used low quality part here and it needs consistent clean. My SR-2a requires me to do this consistently. Hope this help.

I'm bypassing the preamp for my Icon HDP's preamp section, so it bypasses all the controls on the Nak. Does the corrosion in these units still affect sound if I'm not using the Nak's controls? Either way, thanks man, I'll do this ASAP. Any recommendations on the best way to go about this? I only have the small tubes of deoxit and deoxit gold. Is this sufficient or do I need propulsion to get to hard to reach areas?

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10,513 of 19,143

I'm bypassing the preamp for my Icon HDP's preamp section, so it bypasses all the controls on the Nak. Does the corrosion in these units still affect sound if I'm not using the Nak's controls? Either way, thanks man, I'll do this ASAP. Any recommendations on the best way to go about this? I only have the small tubes of deoxit and deoxit gold. Is this sufficient or do I need propulsion to get to hard to reach areas?

If you use only power amp part, don't bother those pre-amp controllers. Focus on the RCA jumper pots (main in RCA) on back and phone jack. If it doesn't work, then try find cold soldering. Hope you find solution!

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10,514 of 19,143
Swapped around the office system. The Pioneer SA-7100 is taking a break...
Brought my "vintage" (1990) tube gear out of storage to let them run for a bit.

David Manley VTL Stereo 50 tube amp - Perfect match for the rather hungry Spendor 3/5 speakers

and Maximal pre-amp. 

Winter is coming. Time to get warm...

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #10,515 of 19,143
^ How do you like those speakers? I'm thinking of building a replica of those. Do they fill the room nicely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back