Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #10,156 of 19,143
I meant to ask how you were enjoying your Spendors, when I saw the pics you posted of your little Infinities. 
How do they compare (or should we move this to another thread?).

They are totally different animals, other than both being excellent small speakers. The infinitesimals are more capable of some of the audiophile tricks like detail retrieval and imaging, and have slightly deeper bass. They will also play louder than the LS3/5A. But the Spendors do have that magic that they are so famous for.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #10,157 of 19,143
Hmmm...I have not heard of these small speakers you folks are talking about. Might have to do some research. I have some B & W matrix 805 in my office and I quite like them. I had them hooked up to my kenwood ka907 or ka8100. I was thinking about selling my Marantz 2285b so I hooked it up to see how it was functioning and to my surprise, the Marantz has great synergy with the B & W. A true rock and roll setup!!!
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #10,158 of 19,143
  Hmmm...I have not heard of these small speakers you folks are talking about. Might have to do some research. I have some B & W matrix 805 in my office and I quite like them. I had them hooked up to my kenwood ka907 or ka8100. I was thinking about selling my Marantz 2285b so I hooked it up to see how it was functioning and to my surprise, the Marantz has great synergy with the B & W. A true rock and roll setup!!!
tongue.gif

Poison is in small bottles (enclosures) ...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10,159 of 19,143
I found an SX-1980 on the local craigslist last week and picked it up Friday. It's pretty amazing!

I've got it running a pair of S-1010s and HPM-100s right now. Sounds great.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #10,162 of 19,143
Awesome find ! (that 1980 on craigslist)

The Rega stuff is exceptional.  Back in the day, before they were imported to the US, I went on a trip to London, and brought a Rega arm back on the plane with me.   I used it with an AR turntable for many years (until I finally got tired of vinyl a few years ago, in favor of asynchronous USB DACs).

That replaced a Pioneer PL-12D, which IMHO is the best of the Japanese brand turntables.  For me, no belt = no turntable.
cool.gif

IIRC, the HiFiMan owner/designer is a fan of Spendor speakers....

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10,163 of 19,143
Hey guys. I found this thread and have been thinking of picking up a vintage amp to go with my headphones.
I own the Fischer Audio FA-011. If you are not familiar with it, here is a link.

It is a fun headphone with a V signature, however the bass doesn't overpower anything, and the soundstage is wide and detailed. It also has a somewhat large impedance. In the thread, the common consensus is the best results tend to come from tube amps. I don't want to deal with that. I'd like a warm sounding solid state amp that makes the FA-011 a little less discerning and emphasizes its musical qualities.

I've read a few dozen pages of this thread and have narrowed my vintage amp selection down to a SanSui AU 317 or higher. The problem is that there is nothing available close to me. Ebay has a few listings, but none of them overly cheap.

This one is a 317 199+49 shipping and looks to be in great shape, but it hasn't been restored at all.

This one is a 717 for 249+34 shipping. It's in questionable condition, the owner has no idea how to test it except to turn it on.

This one is a 317 for 265 and free shipping that has been fully reconditioned.

Besides the hazards of buying off ebay in general, I haven't entirely given up on dedicated headphone amps. My headphones are capable of sounding incredibly good with the right amplifier, and so this purchase isn't something that I want to do over again at a later date. I want something that makes my mids sound better, smooths out harshness in my treble and accurately reproduces the sub bass they are capable of without reducing the great soundstage. I guess I am not entirely convinced that a vintage amp can be the end-all for my headphones, especially since I haven't seen anything I want go for cheap.

With that being said I could buy a pre-assembled AMB M^3 for $375 or an Asgard II from Schiit for $250. I'm sure there are other options that I haven't discovered that are comparable.
Do you guys have any input on my situation? I would really appreciate it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #10,165 of 19,143
I found an SX-1980 on the local craigslist last week and picked it up Friday. It's pretty amazing!

I've got it running a pair of S-1010s and HPM-100s right now. Sounds great.

Congrats Tim! That's awesome that you found one locally. Welcome to the club :D

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #10,166 of 19,143
  Awesome find ! (that 1980 on craigslist)

The Rega stuff is exceptional.  Back in the day, before they were imported to the US, I went on a trip to London, and brought a Rega arm back on the plane with me.   I used it with an AR turntable for many years (until I finally got tired of vinyl a few years ago, in favor of asynchronous USB DACs).

That replaced a Pioneer PL-12D, which IMHO is the best of the Japanese brand turntables.  For me, no belt = no turntable.
cool.gif

IIRC, the HiFiMan owner/designer is a fan of Spendor speakers....

Thank you! I was pretty stoked. I have been wanting to post about it, but I wanted to make sure it was hooked up first.

Congrats Tim! That's awesome that you found one locally. Welcome to the club
biggrin.gif

Thanks Rob! After I saw your 1980, I had to have one. Lucky for me it popped up! I might pick up the 9090DB he has as well. I really don't need it...

Hey guys. I found this thread and have been thinking of picking up a vintage amp to go with my headphones.
I own the Fischer Audio FA-011. If you are not familiar with it, here is a link.

It is a fun headphone with a V signature, however the bass doesn't overpower anything, and the soundstage is wide and detailed. It also has a somewhat large impedance. In the thread, the common consensus is the best results tend to come from tube amps. I don't want to deal with that. I'd like a warm sounding solid state amp that makes the FA-011 a little less discerning and emphasizes its musical qualities.

I've read a few dozen pages of this thread and have narrowed my vintage amp selection down to a SanSui AU 317 or higher. The problem is that there is nothing available close to me. Ebay has a few listings, but none of them overly cheap.

This one is a 317 199+49 shipping and looks to be in great shape, but it hasn't been restored at all.

This one is a 717 for 249+34 shipping. It's in questionable condition, the owner has no idea how to test it except to turn it on.

This one is a 317 for 265 and free shipping that has been fully reconditioned.

Besides the hazards of buying off ebay in general, I haven't entirely given up on dedicated headphone amps. My headphones are capable of sounding incredibly good with the right amplifier, and so this purchase isn't something that I want to do over again at a later date. I want something that makes my mids sound better, smooths out harshness in my treble and accurately reproduces the sub bass they are capable of without reducing the great soundstage. I guess I am not entirely convinced that a vintage amp can be the end-all for my headphones, especially since I haven't seen anything I want go for cheap.

With that being said I could buy a pre-assembled AMB M^3 for $375 or an Asgard II from Schiit for $250. I'm sure there are other options that I haven't discovered that are comparable.
Do you guys have any input on my situation? I would really appreciate it.

I've almost completly moved away from dedicated headamps. I am only keeping the Mjolnir (for the HE-6 at the computer) and the custom OTL (for the T1). I really like how all of my cans sound with big vintage iron (that reminds me I need to hook the HE-6 to the 1980). I don't think I would buy off eBay unless it was a recommended seller by of of the folks here. All of mine I found on CL, but I check it ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

That being said, I really liked each amp I owned. I am about to list my Valhalla and Crack, but really don't want to get rid of either, depsite not using them. I may be a bit of a Schiit-head, but I haven't heard one of their amps I didn't like. For $250, you can't go wrong with the Asgard. I have the AMB b22 as well, but it hasn't been powered on since the last head-fi meet I went to. I'm not sure how it compares to the M^3 though.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #10,169 of 19,143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back