Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10,081 of 19,143
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #10,082 of 19,143
Unfortunately, none of the appropriate illustrations can be posted in this Forum.
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #10,085 of 19,143
  I just thought I would upload my system photo again since I have made some significant changes :)

Nice! I remember your original set up don't need to look ; Twas Marantz, and I can say for sure that you've done better for yourself. Those Sansui's are timeless. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #10,086 of 19,143
  Speaking of knobs here - I am definitely guilty of judging receivers based on how their knobs are made, at least on some level. I reeeeealy prefer the quality milled knobs. Even though I know it is in no way directly related to sound quality.

Lol, I agree with that. And when it comes to knobs the first thing that comes to mind is  my ka-907. There's a thread somewhere on ak dedicated to the 907's volume knob. Once you take it off, your hand almost hits the floor. The thing feels like it weighs a few pounds. And it's not one of those skimpy 2 finger knobs. This thing is so massive it requires all five fingers to turn it. But the pot is equally impressive. It's so smooth that turning that massive hunk of solid aluminum feels like butta. The knob just speaks of the quality of the 907 as a whole, it's really a technological marvel. Just wish it had the sex appear of the supreme series. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #10,087 of 19,143
  I just thought I would upload my system photo again since I have made some significant changes :)

BEFORE :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/7365#post_9492459

AFTER :

Sansui was fully rebuilt and sure is pretty :)

Very nice upgrade!!
  I do like how the classic Marantz look (great knobs), but the appeal very soon goes out the window as you find better made and sounding amps. The Pioneers through-out the 70's are generally better to look at in 'real life'. The outsides are also - better made (even better knobs!). More attention to detail and the feel of the controls are very high quality even on the lower end models. 

Its the design of the Marantz that is eye catching and deserved of the aesthetic award. But compared to the big girls... They can be a little 'all fur coat and no knickers'. If you know what I mean :D 

I love my Marantz but wouldn't keep them over any of my Pioneer or Sansui's. 

This is something that's very true. Having owned a few totl marantz and pioneers, I can honestly say the marantz look better on pictures. But having both side by side, the pioneer have much better build quality and also look better too. And it becomes shocking how much better the materials are. As far as the brands I've owned goes, overall built quality goes to the pioneers followed closely by sansui and kenwood(although the supreme series/907 is a different story). The marantz are on a lower tier. You really have to step up the marantz super monster class(2500/2600) to compete with pioneers regular monster class(sx1010,1250,1280). All of sansui's and kenwoods I've owned had excellent build quality as well. 

Marantz was one of the brands I was speaking of in a previous post about not having solid aluminum knobs. Heck even the face plate on my 2325 have silk screening instead of engraved lettering. Every other brand higher end models I've owned have engraved lettering. Don't mean to sound like a marantz basher, but their build quality although good and better than most modern gear, just don't compete with other vintage brands I've owned.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #10,088 of 19,143
Very nice upgrade!!
This is something that's very true. Having owned a few totl marantz and pioneers, I can honestly say the marantz look better on pictures. But having both side by side, the pioneer have much better build quality and also look better too. And it becomes shocking how much better the materials are. As far as the brands I've owned goes, overall built quality goes to the pioneers followed closely by sansui and kenwood(although the supreme series/907 is a different story). The marantz are on a lower tier. You really have to step up the marantz super monster class(2500/2600) to compete with pioneers regular monster class(sx1010,1250,1280). All of sansui's and kenwoods I've owned had excellent build quality as well. 

Marantz was one of the brands I was speaking of in a previous post about not having solid aluminum knobs. Heck even the face plate on my 2325 have silk screening instead of engraved lettering. Every other brand higher end models I've owned have engraved lettering. Don't mean to sound like a marantz basher, but their build quality although good and better than most modern gear, just don't compete with other vintage brands I've owned.

This is very true, and was a big surprise to me when I was first getting into vintage. The similarly powered Pioneer SX-980 and Marantz 2285 are great examples. The Pioneer is much heavier and more robustly built. I have a 2285 still, but it's not even close to what the 980 is (much less the higher end Pioneers).

I admit though I would love to see and hear a Marantz 2500 someday...

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #10,092 of 19,143
My latest system in my garage. It's primarily for TV while working out or on my exercise bike but has an iPod hookup.

The front end is a Yamaha (sort of vintage) with remote control running a pair of Bose speakers, and then I pulled out the preamp jumpers and hooked up my Fisher CA880 with 100 WPC to run the back end feeding Klipsch KG 3.2's. Sounds really good. I did it more because this Fisher, which was given to me, was not being utilized for any other system so figured why not? Sounds really good and fills the garage nicely.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #10,093 of 19,143
My latest system in my garage. It's primarily for TV while working out or on my exercise bike but has an iPod hookup.

The front end is a Yamaha (sort of vintage) with remote control running a pair of Bose speakers, and then I pulled out the preamp jumpers and hooked up my Fisher CA880 with 100 WPC to run the back end feeding Klipsch KG 3.2's. Sounds really good. I did it more because this Fisher, which was given to me, was not being utilized for any other system so figured why not? Sounds really good and fills the garage nicely.

That looks really smart Oregonian, they go well together. 

I used to try and utilize every amp I've got as I don't like owing anything that is surplus. But for the last few weeks or so I've only been using two amps. Sansui 501 downstairs and Nad3020 upstairs. And that is strange for me :O Seems I'm really quite content regarding sound at the mo. Just as well because I'm going through a bit a cash crisis... Another month or so and I'll be on the prowl again though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back