Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,887 of 19,143
Hello gentlemen.  Haven't been on this thread since early on because I sold my Pioneer SX980 and Sansui 8080 and settled on a Harman Kardon 730 and she has kept me happy until now for my desktop setup.  I walked into a pawn shop tonight and found a Luxman L-450 and matching tuner for a reasonable price so I grabbed them.  It will be a fun weekend comparing them.  My new love is so beautiful on the outside.  We shall see if her beauty is only skin deep.  Here is a grainy phone pic.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #9,888 of 19,143
  Hello gentlemen.  Haven't been on this thread since early on because I sold my Pioneer SX980 and Sansui 8080 and settled on a Harman Kardon 730 and she has kept me happy until now for my desktop setup. 

Can you talk more about why you chose the HK730 over the Pioneer and the Sansui ?

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #9,889 of 19,143
I did get last week a free Marantz 2220B, in fair condition outside (but when free...)

I'm using 3 different sources:

iPod Classic 7th gen 160gb with LOD cable
iPad 1rst gen 64gb with LOD cable
Galaxy S3 with FIIO L15 usb to OTG

I did also get a FIIO E07K and will receive this week the line out dock adapter FIIO L7

My headphone are Grado SR225i

If I use the any of my 2 Apple sources with the FIIO E07K + the FIIO L7 (as a line out) connected to the AUX of my Marantz will I get a cleaner sound?

Thanks for your inputs

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #9,890 of 19,143
  Hello gentlemen.  Haven't been on this thread since early on because I sold my Pioneer SX980 and Sansui 8080 and settled on a Harman Kardon 730 and she has kept me happy until now for my desktop setup.  I walked into a pawn shop tonight and found a Luxman L-450 and matching tuner for a reasonable price so I grabbed them.  It will be a fun weekend comparing them.  My new love is so beautiful on the outside.  We shall see if her beauty is only skin deep.  Here is a grainy phone pic.

Haha, Welcome back mr. Khali!! It's always nice to see earlier posters come back!!
beerchug.gif

You missed one L-480 in 2011, and in 2013 you got L-450. What a story!! I got L-480 and T-450 combo this year too.
wink_face.gif

When you compare those 2 sub 50 wpc pieces, please choose some good records. I think L-450 will excel at good records, especially with sound-stage depth. I'm waiting for your impression!!

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #9,891 of 19,143
  I did get last week a free Marantz 2220B, in fair condition outside (but when free...)

I too received a Marantz 2220B lent from a friend. It's also in fair condition, but even then I can't seem to enjoy the sound of it from the headphone output. It could be dirt from inside the receiver, but I'm not sure if even cleaning it would dramatically improve the sound. I've heard my headphones with a few Pioneer receivers like the SX-780 and have found the sound just so pure and brilliant. I haven't tried the receiver with loudspeakers yet, but I'm not finding it too exciting yet.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #9,892 of 19,143
  I too received a Marantz 2220B lent from a friend. It's also in fair condition, but even then I can't seem to enjoy the sound of it from the headphone output. It could be dirt from inside the receiver, but I'm not sure if even cleaning it would dramatically improve the sound. I've heard my headphones with a few Pioneer receivers like the SX-780 and have found the sound just so pure and brilliant. I haven't tried the receiver with loudspeakers yet, but I'm not finding it too exciting yet.

Me too, did not try yet with speakers, I just found that with some genre like Diana Krall that I need to crank the volume up more, like i don't have enough power coming from the headphone jack. Anybody else with the same Marantz can give us some input ?

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #9,893 of 19,143

I have a mint 2220B while very pretty, I never cared too much for the sound.

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #9,894 of 19,143
I've got a 2220, (no B) and its my least favorite amp... I only use headphones though. It's defo loud enough, but the sound is lifeless compared to my later 70's Marantz 2216b. It has too much hiss as well, even after I soaked it with Deoxit. 

It looks nice however 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #9,896 of 19,143
Can you talk more about why you chose the HK730 over the Pioneer and the Sansui ?

My decision to keep the HK over the others was mostly because of size not sound. The pioneer was my favorite by just a bit as it's sound seemed to have more air and less warm than the sansui but still dynamic with lots of punch when required. The Pioneer's sound also complemented every headphone opening them up while giving them life. They both were huge however and took up too much real estate on my desk. The HK has lots of power lacking a bit of the soundstage and refinement of the more powerful receivers but a fair bit smaller which is important to me for my desk.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #9,897 of 19,143
Haha, Welcome back mr. Khali!! It's always nice to see earlier posters come back!!:beerchug:

You missed one L-480 in 2011, and in 2013 you got L-450. What a story!! I got L-480 and T-450 combo this year too.:wink_face:

When you compare those 2 sub 50 wpc pieces, please choose some good records. I think L-450 will excel at good records, especially with sound-stage depth. I'm waiting for your impression!!

Hey Maewoo!! I have always loved the look of these series of Luxmans. I have already noticed the L 450's strength in presentation of live music. She doesn't have the powerful grunt of the HK but her depth in sound and a sweet extended treble is intoxicating to listen to. To be continued.....

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #9,899 of 19,143
I have a mint 2220B while very pretty, I never cared too much for the sound.

I've got a 2220, (no B) and its my least favorite amp... I only use headphones though. It's defo loud enough, but the sound is lifeless compared to my later 70's Marantz 2216b. It has too much hiss as well, even after I soaked it with Deoxit. 

It looks nice however 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've experienced the same issue myself via the Phono input and Aux input.

Thank you all for your inputs. I will look for another vintage receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back