Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #5,836 of 19,145
Looks awesome, Claybum! Very nice. I bet that sounds as good as it looks, too!

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,838 of 19,145
Right on, thanks guys. I always wanted to come across a 1250 or 1280. But I think this is all the power and beauty I need for a good while. 

If it wasn't for this thread and everyone who posts, I wouldn't own these beauties. Much appreciation!!!

Now, I think I might take the plunge into vinyl.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,839 of 19,145
Congrats on your journey, claybum! I share your interest in taking the plunge. Since getting nice vintage iron a few months back, I find myself staring into the abyss - The Valley of Vinyl. I have been unable to afford a good record cleaner and can't see spending on a new TT, Cart & Virgin vinyl without one...say, like a VPI 'round $600.

For me, the courage to take the plunge will come with the currency that prompts it. Of course, your next step could inspire me...

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5,840 of 19,145
That looks beautiful Claybum!  I've owned many vintage receivers from Marantz, Sony and Yamaha but I've always wanted a Pioneer.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that receiver. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5,841 of 19,145
Thanks Silent One. Yeah, I would love to have a nice turntable to complete my vintage rig. But my knowledge or what constitutes a good turntable, cartridge and stylus is extremely limited. New vinyl releases seem expensive but I would love to hear how it sounds and have a small collection of lp's. 

I spent my youth spinning lp's as that is all there was. Then came 8 track and finally cassette. I remember cassettes as a complete luxury compared to 8 track. Unfortunately I had to dump my vinyl collection many years ago as a result of black mold in my house. Living in the redwoods of norcal was great, but the moisture destroyed much of my stuff.

So yeah, when the money and time is right. I'd like to give it a go. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #5,842 of 19,145
Scored another Sherwood gem this week. Man these sound so sweet. I am glad no one likes them as much as the big names.

Love the headphone section so much power. Drives the snot out my HTF600's.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5,843 of 19,145
Hi there! I'm a complete newbie to the amping scene, let alone the vintage amp scene.
I was wondering where it is you guys find all your great buys? Just ebay and craigslist, or other sources, too?
I really like the look and the sound (not as in audio, figuratively) of the vintage amps. Is there anything I can read so that I'll be a little less lost? I just spent a while trawling through this thread :p

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5,844 of 19,145
Quote:
Hi there! I'm a complete newbie to the amping scene, let alone the vintage amp scene.
I was wondering where it is you guys find all your great buys? Just ebay and craigslist, or other sources, too?
I really like the look and the sound (not as in audio, figuratively) of the vintage amps. Is there anything I can read so that I'll be a little less lost? I just spent a while trawling through this thread :p

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Start reading there. I find most of my stuff at thrift stores. It takes a lot of patience as many items get swooped up-thanks eBay for people looking to sell them. Craigslist is also an option as well as ebay. When you go to the thrift stores bring some headphones-any kind-with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so you can at lease check the headphone output on AM/FM. When I was really into it I brought a small extension cord, small 4" car speaker with 3 feet of wire connected and used that to test the output-not perfect but better than a blind shot. Just a few pointers.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #5,845 of 19,145
Jeeez, these things just keep popping up in my area.

sx-1280
http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/3254973091.html

sx-737
http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/3242604753.html

If anyone is interested in the 737, Jeff sometimes is willing to ship these receivers, just ask.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5,846 of 19,145
Quote:
Scored another Sherwood gem this week. Man these sound so sweet. I am glad no one likes them as much as the big names.

Love the headphone section so much power. Drives the snot out my HTF600's.

Which model is this?  I took a look at a S-7900A earlier this week.  Sounded really nice and was especially impressed by zero noise/background from min to max volume.  Reasonably priced as well, but it just wasn't as pristine or subjectively cosmetically pretty (to me) as some other options, so I passed.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,847 of 19,145
Quote:

Which model is this?  I took a look at a S-7900A earlier this week.  Sounded really nice and was especially impressed by zero noise/background from min to max volume.  Reasonably priced as well, but it just wasn't as pristine or subjectively cosmetically pretty (to me) as some other options, so I passed.

This is a S-7225. The 7900 and 8900 were the last US made units and are built like tanks. I hear what you say about the looks, nice, but doesn't tickle me as much as the 7100, 72XX lines.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5,848 of 19,145
Ruh roh...I just picked up a Sansui G-7000.  Needed some deoxit of course, but sounds great otherwise! Here it is atop my SX-1280 (which makes for a nice size comparison, although the 1280 is more comparable to a G-8000 or 9000...

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5,850 of 19,145
Quote:
Ruh roh...I just picked up a Sansui G-7000.  Needed some deoxit of course, but sounds great otherwise! Here it is atop my SX-1280 (which makes for a nice size comparison, although the 1280 is more comparable to a G-8000 or 9000...

That thing is a monster! Can I ask where you got it?

Do you have any pics of the internals? I love me some nudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back