Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #5,161 of 19,145
@5Aces, the Belvedere formed the basis of the mighty Hemi GTX  - I think the Dodge Coronet was built on the same platform. The model you saw, from memory, is a couple of years prior to the GTX below, but they were all built around Detroit's 'intermediate' concept - by modern standards, they are huge. Not 59 Caddy huge, but try parking one in the CBD of an Australian city ..... 
eek.gif

@skylab - Rob, you KNOW you will buy that Luxman - why torture yourself ? Life really is too short - do it before someone else does.  
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #5,162 of 19,145
Yep. Always draw a rough sketch of the board and which wires are connected to it. Then label the board with the color of each wire coming into each jack. If you forget or mess up, you'll have to look at the messy schematic and trace the wire to the appropriate termination.

Solid advice.
You don't want to get done putting in your caps and then forget what wires connected where. Talk about a nightmare.
The feeling or anxiety is probably a better word for it, right before I powered it back up was nerve racking. Push in the power button, lights come on, no explosions, then the soft click sound of the new relay engaging was the sweetest music I'd heard in a long time. The relief and satisfaction, so nice.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5,163 of 19,145
Quote:
@5Aces, the Belvedere formed the basis of the mighty Hemi GTX  - I think the Dodge Coronet was built on the same platform. The model you saw, from memory, is a couple of years prior to the GTX below, but they were all built around Detroit's 'intermediate' concept - by modern standards, they are huge. Not 59 Caddy huge, but try parking one in the CBD of an Australian city ..... 
eek.gif

@skylab - Rob, you KNOW you will buy that Luxman - why torture yourself ? Life really is too short - do it before someone else does.  
wink.gif

The biggest car I've ever been in was a 73 Pontiac Brougham that my father bought when I was in my late teens.  The bench seats were 6 feet wide judging by the fact that I'm 5' 11" and could comfortably lay down on them.  It's the only car I've driven that I had problems perpendicular parking.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #5,164 of 19,145
My folks had (and still have) a full size early 80's Buick wagon. We call it the Queen Mary. That thing is HUGE.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,165 of 19,145

Just got my LCD-2, and they sound great through my M2270. Although I have not heard these hp's out of any other amp yet. I do not regret jumping on the vintage receiver wagon :)

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #5,166 of 19,145
Very nice! I find my Marantz 2285 especially enjoyable with headphones, and so I am sure the 2270 is the same. Congrats!

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5,167 of 19,145
Skylab - you made a point earlier about vintage gear and the few grand into restoration vs modern gear. How do you feel your few thousand dollars restored Pioneer/etc units (or any brand you like - pick whatever) stacks up to (or how does modern gear stack up against them) modern receivers/integrateds in that same two-three thousand range. Like the H/K990 or Yamaha A-S2000?

And I'll leave the car discussion alone to prevent a custom user title. :xf_eek:

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5,168 of 19,145
It's really tough for me to say...I've never compared the Pioneer to anything like that.  My Modern hi-fi is in another price class, so it's not really a fair comparison, plus my preamp is all tube...that said, the Pioneer sounds so good it isn't shamed by my megabuck modern gear, which is pretty amazing...

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #5,170 of 19,145
Quote:
My folks had (and still have) a full size early 80's Buick wagon. We call it the Queen Mary. That thing is HUGE.

I use to enjoy Brunch on the Queen Mary, Long Beach, before rushing to the L.A. Coliseum the see the Raiders back in the day. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5,172 of 19,145
Quote:
did my first partial recap yesterday.  Recapped the power supply on my beloved 2245.  with the guidance of my good friend who is very good at that kind of stuff.
man its not as simple as i always thought.  and the hardest part isn't getting the caps in and out.  the hard part is reconnecting the wires to the board when you put it back in.
anyways it played long and loud yesterday evening for a solid 8 hours and it didn't act up.  im still crossing my fingers that the relay was the problem and its fixed.
i took a lot of breaks, but in total work time i'd say it took 2 hours or less.

Drawings are good to keep wiring straight.  Digital pictures can be invaluable too.  I never start taking any audio equipment apart without taking a bunch of hi-rez photos......cheap insurance.  Learned the hard way my memory is not as good as I thought it was.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #5,173 of 19,145
Drawings are good to keep wiring straight.  Digital pictures can be invaluable too.  I never start taking any audio equipment apart without taking a bunch of hi-rez photos......cheap insurance.  Learned the hard way my memory is not as good as I thought it was.

IME, the most obnoxious bits to reassemble are the mechanical pieces (like transport mechanisms; especially those WRETCHED multi-disc creations). Oh, and I will also say that I do not suggest taking apart your double-side-play Laserdisc player without a lot of coffee and time on your hands to get it back together. :xf_eek:

But +1 to the wiring/photo diagrams. Another helpful idea is to put all of the screws in separate bins/containers or otherwise diagram them out; getting the thing back together with the wrong screws or even worse, with leftovers, is never fun to troubleshoot.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5,174 of 19,145
I completely disassembled a Pioneer HPM-100 speaker to remove the crossover for recapping...without making any notes whatsoever. Darned good thing there was another speaker left to take apart! Lots of crossover connections on a 4-way speaker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back