Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,117 of 19,145
Quote:
wow, that looks like it will be a great trip to take on a Sunday!

local CL ad came up with a Marantz 2275 for sale for $45. seller said nothing wrong. but the ad came out like 5am in the morning, and I just replied at 11am or so. so I am sure the chance of me scoring that will be zero. 
confused_face(1).gif

Sorry you didn't get it. I just missed out on a 1 owner mint condition sanui 9090 for 250.00. Not a good a deal as the marantz, but still less than half of what one like that go for.
Quote:
No argument that there are still some serious bargains out there, particularly for those in the CONUS, but I sense a certain amount of reverse snobbery in relation to newer amps/receivers, both here and at Audiokarma, and its not simply around bang-for-buck. I still see people disparaging the headphone stage on modern integrated amps, blanket-style, without having heard the amp in question. I even read one comment from some Nigel who claimed that mid-fi from Marantz/NAD/CA was actually worse than the consumer-grade dross at K-Mart, because it gave people the illusion (!) that they were buying an audiophile product. Heaven forbid .... 

I can understand people choosing vinyl over digital, tubes over SS or vintage over modern kit, but anyone who makes a statement like that is a complete tosser, IMO. There is room for kit of all shapes, sizes and religions in this crazy hobby. 

Yeah you have idiots in every camp in this hobby. I love both vintage and modern gear. I just find vintage more fun and most importantly, more affordable....well to an extent. There are still vintage jbl speakers on ebay going for around 40,000.00 and vintage amps not far behind.
smile.gif

Mr.Q that sansui is a beaut. I've always been a huge fan of the internals of the sansui integrateds. Even my midtier au-517 have internals that's far beefier and better layed out than it has any reason to.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5,118 of 19,145
has anyone heard of the yamaha CA series integrated, where the first 10-15 watts can be switch via class A mode? that prospect is intriguing. but I don't know how it would sound via headphones out. does anyone have any feedback on this?

moodyrn, that 9090 would've been a pretty great deal at $250 for one owner for sure. sorry you missed out on it as well.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,119 of 19,145
I've missed a few things like that on Craigslist. I'm always sure by the time I see them they will have gotten dozens of emails. Most of the time CL vintage audio stuff is much too high priced. But I have gotten a couple pieces at what I consider good prices...nice pair HPM-100 speakers for $240, Sansui 9090 for $280.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #5,121 of 19,145
Quote:

Mr.Q that sansui is a beaut. I've always been a huge fan of the internals of the sansui integrateds. Even my midtier au-517 have internals that's far beefier and better layed out than it has any reason to.

It's an interesting piece of gear. It's so uncoloured and neutral in it's presentation. The sound seems to favour working well with acoustic and vocals. I'm still trying to work out how this thing can drive iems quietly then power HE-6's from the same headphone out. 

The whole design appeals to my minimalist side. I will probably pair it with a Ref 7.1.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5,122 of 19,145
That is quiet a feat. My marantz 2325 can power my 40ohm w3000ath along with my he6 quietly, but it hisses a little with my 28ohm jh13. My au-517  hisses a little with my w3000ath, and a lot with my jh13s. But on the other hand. When I bypass the preamp of the au-517 and use the preamp of my totl onkyo ht receiver, it will play the jh13 dead silent and still power my he6 as well. So I guess they really put a the preamp of yours. One of the perks of higher end vintage gear or higher end gear in general. I think it may be time to move on from my au-517. I love the way it sounds, but I want to use my jh13s will it as well without having to bypass the preamp.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5,123 of 19,145
Quote:
has anyone heard of the yamaha CA series integrated, where the first 10-15 watts can be switch via class A mode? that prospect is intriguing. but I don't know how it would sound via headphones out. does anyone have any feedback on this?

moodyrn, that 9090 would've been a pretty great deal at $250 for one owner for sure. sorry you missed out on it as well.

What do you want to know? The Class A or Yammy Sound? As for class A, it sounds  warmer and thicker (richer?). But it's not worth the heat the unit produced. Any way, Yammy already sounds good enough for me in class AB. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5,124 of 19,145
Quote:
. I even read one comment from some Nigel who claimed that mid-fi from Marantz/NAD/CA was actually worse than the consumer-grade dross at K-Mart, because it gave people the illusion (!) that they were buying an audiophile product. Heaven forbid .... 

I do own a K-Mart Stax SR-3 clone.  It's mind boggling to me that K-Mart ever sold such a thing.  My experiences with K-Mart have been horrible.    I found out later from a coworker who had worked here way though college and K-Mart's corporate HQ that the 2 I lived near were considered among the worst on the east coast.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #5,125 of 19,145
I'm new to this vintage thing too, but there seems to be no LACK of websites catering to the viintage audio 'hobsession':

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/

http://www.thevintageknob.org/

http://www.classic-audio.com

http://www.theoldstereoguy.com/

http://www.chrisinmotion.com/MyFavoriteReceivers.htm

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

http://elitehifi.com/

Restoration:

http://www.circlestereo.com/

etc etc - Google is your friend. Whether they are 'good' or not, most have a mountain of photos and the obsessives behind them usually have brochures and other genuine source material. 

Not hard to find info on the popular brands/models like Marantz, but how many younger Head-Fiers would know that Sony once sold seriously top-shelf 2-channel audio ? Yamaha ? 

Surprisingly, my favourite write-up comes from (cough, splutter ..) 6Moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/fisher/fishers.html

I dont know who Steve Marsh is, but in my book he seems like a very cool individual and he doesnt bang on like Srajan. Meat and potatoes - my kinda guy ! 

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,126 of 19,145
I just got my second SX-1980 fully restored by Circle Stereo, including the main filter caps. Just got it back yesterday. Sounds terrific. They are not cheap, but they do a nice job.

I'm selling a stock SX-1980 over on AudioKarma, beat up faceplate but works great, I have a nice price but it's local pickup only, just FYI.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5,127 of 19,145
Quote:
What do you want to know? The Class A or Yammy Sound? As for class A, it sounds  warmer and thicker (richer?). But it's not worth the heat the unit produced. Any way, Yammy already sounds good enough for me in class AB. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

from what I know of the yamaha gear that I did used, the yammy sound is rather neutral. at least that was what they touted right? I was wondering whether or not class A with headphones is worth all the accolades that I have read with regards to class A. I did read about heat issue as well though. is class A what some others saying as one of better sounds out there? the one I was looking at by the off chance is a CA-800, which is 10 watts in class A, 55 watts in class B.

and is yamaha sound the most neutral out of all vintage receiver/integrated sounds?

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #5,128 of 19,145
Quote:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/fisher/fishers.html

I dont know who Steve Marsh is, but in my book he seems like a very cool individual and he doesnt bang on like Srajan. Meat and potatoes - my kinda guy ! 

I'm a proud owner of a fisher integrated tube amp(1964 model). It's definitely a different take on most modern tube amps. I would say, maybe it's the tube equivalent of the popular and controversial w3000anv. It's definitely not neutral sounding, but has a very pleasing, warm, euphoric, musical sound. Kinda like how I would describe the AT's. And ironically, it's the amp I pretty much use exclusively with those as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I just got my second SX-1980 fully restored by Circle Stereo, including the main filter caps. Just got it back yesterday. Sounds terrific. They are not cheap, but they do a nice job.
I'm selling a stock SX-1980 over on AudioKarma, beat up faceplate but works great, I have a nice price but it's local pickup only, just FYI.

Congrats on getting your 1980 back. I bet with the sound your getting, the expense was well worth it.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #5,129 of 19,145
Quote:

I understand we're a few miles away... and I'm broke. But, would you kindly provide a link for looking anyway?

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #5,130 of 19,145
Quote:

Rob, we both know the old adage re 'long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains'. When I had to resort to repairing computers for a living, we had a sign in the workshop that said 'Sure, we can do it fast and cheap ....'' - sounds like the guys at Circle have something similar. 
biggrin.gif

That said, I see some of the same attitude among vintage audio enthusiasts as I saw among would-be car restorers in the 80s - 'but the cost of replacing  the engine is 3 times what I paid for the car !'. Many of them sold their projects as a result, and quite a few of those cars now change hands for 75-100K AUD. Silly money, but if people are prepared to pay it ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back