Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #14,911 of 19,145
Couldn't tell you, I've never heard them. I've read that 10's image a bit better, but need a sub. The 20's don't, they have good solid deep bass. Very open and airy speakers, always been a favorite of mine

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #14,912 of 19,145
Wow man, you described the bass exactly like I'm hearing it. I've read on AK with the right speakers the 7600 and 9600 sound incredible, and I believe it, but the problem is I've heard my speakers, dahlquist dq-20's, amped right and the sound was sublime, so I'd rather replace the receiver.
I looked at the Sony's, and love the design, but I'm afraid 60 Watts might not be enough for my speakers. I've seen the 60xx and 70xx series around, but never any 61xx's.
The problem here is I love the look and build quality of the vintage stuff, but if I'm gonna spend close to, or over a 1000 bucks on something, it should really be a Rogue Audio Sphinx with a pair of nos Mullards. I don't know...
Good luck on the purchase, can't wait to hear how you make out

I wouldn't discount 65w per side. I have a 6120 hooked up to some real hungry monster speakers and I can make it too loud to be in the same room. 65 good watts will knock down your art from the wall and make your dishes shake in the next room. I can do the same thing with a 6065. It won't make your house into a night club, but I doubt you'd be trashing your speakers like that.
I really liked both of them, but the 6120 (also 6200f but that's super rare ) was a tiny step up. People call them 'mini mcintosh's' because they have a similar sound and build quality. I think a patient person could get a 6065 for like $100, so it's not a bad risk to try one.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #14,913 of 19,145
I wouldn't discount 65w per side. I have a 6120 hooked up to some real hungry monster speakers and I can make it too loud to be in the same room. 65 good watts will knock down your art from the wall and make your dishes shake in the next room.

I notice you have to put your lamp on the floor so it doesn't get blown off the coffee table...smart!

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #14,914 of 19,145
I used to run the dahlquists with a mitsubishi dual monaural 150wpc amp back in the day and they were awesome. They were even more awesome with a spectral amp I had in the 90's. When I got my first big 7 channel receiver for home theater, I kept the speakers but sold off my components. Kind of kicking myself now lol, because now I can give a schiit about home theater and miss my old 2 channel gear...

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #14,915 of 19,145
Checked eBay history on the 9090. 600 isn't far off the mark. Maybe I'll go to the shop and offer 400 and go from there. I've been researching the hell out of the 9090 and it sounds like I'll love it. I'll keep you guys posted. Any other thoughts?

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #14,917 of 19,145
I used to run the dahlquists with a mitsubishi dual monaural 150wpc amp back in the day and they were awesome. They were even more awesome with a spectral amp I had in the 90's. When I got my first big 7 channel receiver for home theater, I kept the speakers but sold off my components. Kind of kicking myself now lol, because now I can give a schiit about home theater and miss my old 2 channel gear...

Fell victim to the home theater thing too.  Sold off my Magneplanars (MG1s) and never should of.  Also had an SAE 400L and DB systems preamp (DB1) that I never should have let go of.  My Amber amp blew up on me so not much could be done there - but it sure sounded nice.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #14,918 of 19,145
I finally stopped trying to get lucky at thrift stores and broke down and bought a restored Pioneer Sx 990. Running my heavily modded HE400's out of just the headphone jack is simply stunning. My favorite thing in a headphone is when ALL the instruments have impact. It's a little hard to describe but I've previously only heard this effect with a speaker amped HE6...I think I'm done upgrading for a while.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #14,919 of 19,145
Fell victim to the home theater thing too.  Sold off my Magneplanars (MG1s) and never should of.  Also had an SAE 400L and DB systems preamp (DB1) that I never should have let go of.  My Amber amp blew up on me so not much could be done there - but it sure sounded nice.

Even worse was the stuff I got rid of in the 80's because the new digital stuff looked so cool. Now the 80's stuff is butt ugly and we're all buying the 70's receivers again lol

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #14,920 of 19,145
i had the He 400 connected to Hitachi sr 904 (75 watts rms) , i will not buy any other headphone amp... except the perfect one... For 100 dollars the Hitachi blow my Ember amp, and probably any headphone amp under 1000...i had connect it to the headphone out... I wait for my cable but seriously i am skeptic because the sound now from the headphone out is so liquid and detailed...I am not sure that it is a good idea to try the speakers out....
popcorn.gif
Hitachi was not a name  often appearing in this thread... But why? is the pioneer, marantz, sansui, are so good? My hitachi was tubelike sound with perfect  tigh bass and higher frequencies like silk...
atsmile.gif
Its the first time frankly that i am satisfied totally without reserve in this more than 2 years odyssey for the perfect sound ....Vintage is for Victory !

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #14,921 of 19,145
  i had the He 400 connected to Hitachi sr 904 (75 watts rms) , i will not buy any other headphone amp... except the perfect one... For 100 dollars the Hitachi blow my Ember amp, and probably any headphone amp under 1000...i had connect it to the headphone out... I wait for my cable but seriously i am skeptic because the sound now from the headphone out is so liquid and detailed...I am not sure that it is a good idea to try the speakers out....
popcorn.gif
Hitachi was not a name  often appearing in this thread... But why? is the pioneer, marantz, sansui, are so good? My hitachi was tubelike sound with perfect  tigh bass and higher frequencies like silk...
atsmile.gif
Its the first time frankly that i am satisfied totally without reserve in this more than 2 years odyssey for the perfect sound ....Vintage is for Victory !

Glad you found it met your expectations......................

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #14,922 of 19,145
popcorn.gif
atsmile.gif

That's awesome man! Moments like that are what this thread is for. Hopefully it will help you avoid the upgrading itch for a long time. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #14,923 of 19,145

Glad you found it met your expectations......................

i see that you have an Hitachi sr 804 ...... How do it compete with your other vintage amp ?

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #14,924 of 19,145
Ugh. My enjoyment of the SX 990 was short lived. I got too excited to purchase a receiver that I agreed to meet a guy halfway to pick it up. Bad decision. The left channel keeps cutting out and giving me static, the midrange will randomly become hollow and echoey, and now the left channel doesn't work at all. I've cleaned all contacts with Deoxit and that helped the sound initially, but I fear the receiver is shot now. He listed the receiver as 'in perfect working condition' and assured me it was recently serviced at Magnetic Tape in Kentucky. Also, music continues to play even after the volume is turned all the way down, as well as a few seconds after the receiver is turned OFF. I have no idea where to even begin, or if it is even worth trying to save...Does anyone have any information that can help me? i loved the sound when it was working correctly, but now the issues haven't gone away.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #14,925 of 19,145
Ugh. My enjoyment of the SX 990 was short lived. I got too excited to purchase a receiver that I agreed to meet a guy halfway to pick it up. Bad decision. The left channel keeps cutting out and giving me static, the midrange will randomly become hollow and echoey, and now the left channel doesn't work at all. I've cleaned all contacts with Deoxit and that helped the sound initially, but I fear the receiver is shot now. He listed the receiver as 'in perfect working condition' and assured me it was recently serviced at Magnetic Tape in Kentucky. Also, music continues to play even after the volume is turned all the way down, as well as a few seconds after the receiver is turned OFF. I have no idea where to even begin, or if it is even worth trying to save...Does anyone have any information that can help me? i loved the sound when it was working correctly, but now the issues haven't gone away.

Music playing after you shut it off isn't necessarily an issue - many vintage receivers do this.

Have you tried to clean all the switches and selector knob contacts as well? The volume control is just one of typically many controls that might cause a channel to cut out. If the left channel can be brought back by fiddling with some of the controls, you likely still have dirty controls.

Left channel is also completely out through the headphone out?

Don't give up yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back