Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #14,866 of 19,143

Nice Kenny!  I've got the 5700 - it was my first vintage purchase.................nice sound these units have! 

I see you are now a Pioneer man.  Although I really like the sound of this Kenwood nothing I have heard sounds better than the Pioneer SX980 I had for some time.  I haven't had anything with more that 80 watts per channel to compare however.  I would love to year the SX1980 or a TOTL Sansui amp one day.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #14,867 of 19,143

I see you are now a Pioneer man.  Although I really like the sound of this Kenwood nothing I have heard sounds better than the Pioneer SX980 I had for some time.  I haven't had anything with more that 80 watts per channel to compare however.  I would love to year the SX1980 or a TOTL Sansui amp one day.

I have 8 vintage systems in use in various locations at home and work, and yes, primarily Pioneer.  I now have 5 Pioneer units that are 80wpc or above with the Spec rack system top of the heap at 250wpc rated (tho when bench tested it hit 309 before distorting).   The Spec drives my HD800 incredibly well as it does everything I plug into it, and out of the speaker taps with my HE-400 (and the HE-6 before it) is truly epic.  I feel the additional power, even though you don't "use it" does make a difference, at least to my ears. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #14,868 of 19,143

I have 8 vintage systems in use in various locations at home and work, and yes, primarily Pioneer.  I now have 5 Pioneer units that are 80wpc or above with the Spec rack system top of the heap at 250wpc rated (tho when bench tested it hit 309 before distorting).   The Spec drives my HD800 incredibly well as it does everything I plug into it, and out of the speaker taps with my HE-400 (and the HE-6 before it) is truly epic.  I feel the additional power, even though you don't "use it" does make a difference, at least to my ears. 

youre so convincing... i hope my hitachi sr-904 will do the job.... (you cure my upgraditis disease when i read that you live very well with he 400 and Pioneer amp )
atsmile.gif
thank you doctor!

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #14,870 of 19,143
The SA-9500 has a great reputation. So it's all about what condition it's in.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #14,872 of 19,143
Vintage Pioneer when properly restored is very hard to beat.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #14,875 of 19,143
Someone here know if the HITACHI sr-904 receiver shared common ground at the speakers out post ? thanks to you all for this interesting thread
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #14,876 of 19,143
Hi guys! I recently acquired a Sansui 2000 solid state receiver and a technics SL 1600; I am now on the lookout for speakers and am checking out a pair of Sansui sp 2000 and a pair of Sansui S-930; what are your thoughts and or recommendations?
Thank you!

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #14,877 of 19,143
  Someone here know if the HITACHI sr-904 receiver shared common ground at the speakers out post ? thanks to you all for this interesting thread
smile.gif

Easy to find out. Throw a multi-meter on the 2 ground posts and measure for continuity. If meter beeps you have a shared ground.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #14,878 of 19,143
Guys,

I need your help.

I have splashed out and got myself a nice vintage Sansui to complement my Sansui AU-2200 which I think is amazing.

The model is this:

Sansui - A-E970

And it's a integrated amplifier with DAC....

My question is: does anyone have any idea which DAC chip is inside? It sounds fantastic and I really love the sound but am very curious which chip I got in there. I opened it up but the PCB that houses the DAC chip is front facing (not readable) and I can't remove it without some major surgery which I am not confident enough to do. Don't want to screw up a great functioning system.

I ordered a service manual from eBay but it will be weeks until it arrives, so if anyone with some insight knowledge can help, it would be highly appreciated.

my new baby

not my photo but shows the back

not my photo - shows the back

not my photo - full front

The DAC has Optical and COAX inputs and takes 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz 16 bit.

Any help highly appreciated.

Cheers,
K

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #14,879 of 19,143
Hi guys! I recently acquired a Sansui 2000 solid state receiver and a technics SL 1600; I am now on the lookout for speakers and am checking out a pair of Sansui sp 2000 and a pair of Sansui S-930; what are your thoughts and or recommendations?
Thank you!

I had about half a dozen pairs of sansui speakers. I really liked the SP-5500x model, but didn't care for some of the others. I found sansui to be kind of hit or miss with speakers, so definitely try the ones you want out before you buy. Be especially aware of the surrounds. Especially on the mids and tweeters, some surrounds were a kind of rubberized paper sort of material that tended to develop holes. Just as a bit of TLC, many of them have tone adjustors that get filthy and need some good deoxit on them before they'll sound right all the time. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #14,880 of 19,143

My experience with same era speakers from several manufacturers is similar.  Much of the time it appeared as though they were competing with various odd tweeter and mid range horns.  The ordinary paper drivers were not anything better than ordinary cheap small magnet paper drivers.  There were notable exceptions from Panasonic weigh you can read about their foray into Beryllium drivers which are very special. There are always other exceptions, with some of the bigger Sansuis indeed, but I think you were better off bringing your own speakers into the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back