Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 20, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #14,851 of 19,145
I know we've very briefly discussed some Sherwood units in the past, but it seems like vintage Sherwood is pretty commonly dismissed on this thread. However, I was recently offered a trade of a very well-restored unit from the brand that had some pretty good things said about it over on AK (can't recall the model right now and can't seem to find it in my email history), and it made me wonder whether there's any Sherwood stuff that has a good reputation in the vintage community. Has anybody had any good experience with vintage Sherwood integrateds?

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #14,852 of 19,145
i may purchase a  receiver hitachi sr 904 , some people here had something good to say about it ?
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #14,853 of 19,145
@ssrock64

I have read good things about Sherwood 8900A (tube-like sound?) and once bade for one on ebay but did not win. Based on my experience, good and bad, it would be nice if you are able to listen to a unit several times before purchase. I've bought 4 vintage receivers so far. After having them for extended periods, I am happy with two and have sold one and one to sell.

If the price is right (ebay prices for Sherwood models are very reasonable as compared to other brands), I guess you risk little---you can sell it quite easily later if you does not like the sound signature.

Good luck!

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #14,854 of 19,145
  @ssrock64

I have read good things about Sherwood 8900A (tube-like sound?) and once bade for one on ebay but did not win. Based on my experience, good and bad, it would be nice if you are able to listen to a unit several times before purchase. I've bought 4 vintage receivers so far. After having them for extended periods, I am happy with two and have sold one and one to sell.

If the price is right (ebay prices for Sherwood models are very reasonable as compared to other brands), I guess you risk little---you can sell it quite easily later if you does not the sound signature.

Good luck!

I own several Sherwood Integrated amps and tuners from the "tube era"  they sound like tubes because they are.  It is a lot easier to get a tube integrated amps than their receivers . The S5000 era and a number of variants (late 1950s-early 60s).  Sherwood made a big beautiful tube receiver or two (models) before switching to SS.  If you want SS I only bought one and never got around to using it. They are an under rated brand but are not as good as some others of it's day either  such as Harmon Kardon's Citations or Marantz with his EL-34 amps a bit later.  My Dad had one so I have them for sentimental reasons.  The tuners however were top notch and if you can get one restored you are in for a treat of what over the air radio exists in the future.

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #14,855 of 19,145
@Mechans1

Thanks for your informative comments! I once wanted to buy a Fisher 500c. Though it was claimed to be a restored unit, the noise was too much to my taste, unlike my contemporary Little Dot MK iii which has clean and quiet background. That experience left me an expression that vintage tube receivers might need work more than I am willing to commit.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #14,856 of 19,145
  @Mechans1

Thanks for your informative comments! I once wanted to buy a Fisher 500c. Though it was claimed to be a restored unit, the noise was too much to my taste, unlike my contemporary Little Dot MK iii which has clean and quiet background. That experience left me an expression that vintage tube receivers might need work more than I am willing to commit.

Those Fisher 500c's are gorgeous.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #14,857 of 19,145

this is the Hitachi sr 904.... Someone had impression of this big boy?

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #14,858 of 19,145
  @ssrock64

If the price is right (ebay prices for Sherwood models are very reasonable as compared to other brands), I guess you risk little---you can sell it quite easily later if you does not like the sound signature.

Good luck!

I have an 8900A which has easily bested any vintage receiver I have had (except my SX1250).

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #14,859 of 19,145
I recently picked up a 1980 Marantz PM 500 to drive my HE 6 from the speaker taps. THis is the best that I have ever heard HE 6 sound. Have tried AGD Master 9, AGD Master 2 (with M9 as pre), Rotel RB 1080 (with M9 as pre), Cayin A 70-T, Raganrok.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #14,860 of 19,145
  I recently picked up a 1980 Marantz PM 500 to drive my HE 6 from the speaker taps. THis is the best that I have ever heard HE 6 sound. Have tried AGD Master 9, AGD Master 2 (with M9 as pre), Rotel RB 1080 (with M9 as pre), Cayin A 70-T, Raganrok.

very interesting...... I waited for hitachi sr 904.... some said that his sound is near marantz sound.... less costly
smile.gif

I wanted to try the he 400 out of speakers tap.... I needed only an xlr cable  i think ....

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #14,861 of 19,145

My bad,i had a 2215BL in my basement not the 2230. Sounds great so far. There's not much to find about the "BL" variant and i wonder what's the difference to the Standard 2215(B).
The volume poti has problems and causes inbalance. There is no background hiss even with sensitive cans.
I may go crazy but i prefer the Output of the Marantz to the vali (which is on sale).

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #14,862 of 19,145

My bad,i had a 2215BL in my basement not the 2230. Sounds great so far. There's not much to find about the "BL" variant and i wonder what's the difference to the Standard 2215(B).
The volume poti has problems and causes inbalance. There is no background hiss even with sensitive cans.
I may go crazy but i prefer the Output of the Marantz to the vali (which is on sale).

I did have a 2215 (non-B) which has been the only Marantz vintage unit I have liked.  That unit sounded very good!

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #14,863 of 19,145
Originally Posted by punit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

& as a bonus HD800 sounds very good from the HP out

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #14,865 of 19,145
  I haven't posted on this thread forever but my Sanusi AU 5900 has been failing me so it was time to find another small amp for my desk.  I picked up a Kenwood KA 5500 today and so far she sounds great and I have power meters back in my life!!  It is my first Kenwood.  

Nice Kenny!  I've got the 5700 - it was my first vintage purchase.................nice sound these units have! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back