Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 21, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #13,291 of 19,145
Definitely.  Although I see myself picking up an end-game-ish (for my needs) amp like a MC302, or dual mono MC275s sometime in the future, I plan to fully upgrade both my vintage amps.  

Both came from single owner homes, and were just sold b/c the 70 year old dudes were simplifying their lives.  I feel a responsibility to keep the amps singing, pass them to down my 8-year old son one day, after college!   For that environment, he can take my blastin' Behringer PA speaker I use for backyard movies.    
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #13,292 of 19,145
  I think the total was right around 100 caps replaced.  

Wow that is a lot of caps. Just curious how long did it take you to replace the caps approximately? I have fairly recently bought a concept receiver that was apparently recapped. I say that because the sound of my concept receiver has improved appreciably in the two months that I have had it . I recently upgraded the two output fuses that are accessible from the back panel . I replaced them with isoclean fuses I had originally intended to replace the stock fuses with hi-fi tuning supreme fuses but they do not make any fuses with the 7 amp rating that the receiver requires. So the only ones that I saw that had seven amp rated fuses were isoclean fuses . Since I have replaced the fuses I am noticing a much cleaner quieter sound that is more transparent and with more of a sense of dimensionality .I feel it was worth the investment and a very easy tweak .

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #13,293 of 19,145

Wow that is a lot of caps. Just curious how long did it take you to replace the caps approximately? I have fairly recently bought a concept receiver that was apparently recapped. I say that because the sound of my concept receiver has improved appreciably in the two months that I have had it . I recently upgraded the two output fuses that are accessible from the back panel . I replaced them with isoclean fuses I had originally intended to replace the stock fuses with hi-fi tuning supreme fuses but they do not make any fuses with the 7 amp rating that the receiver requires. So the only ones that I saw that had seven amp rated fuses were isoclean fuses . Since I have replaced the fuses I am noticing a much cleaner quieter sound that is more transparent and with more of a sense of dimensionality .I feel it was worth the investment and a very easy tweak .

Since this was a unit I was keeping for myself I could afford to take my time with it.  I bought and installed the parts a board at a time over a period of about six months.  If I was able to work on it continuously I could have finished it in less than a week, probably.

I do still have to replace the filter caps but don't have the ~$200 on hand to do that right now - but sometime in the next year that will be done.  Don't know if I will do any other tweaks - though am considering putting in an IEC inlet for power so that I can use any power cord I want.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #13,294 of 19,145
perfect match .. :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #13,295 of 19,145
Bet your KSA100 sounds pretty good!  Always wished I could get my hands on a KSA250.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,296 of 19,145
absolutely :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #13,297 of 19,145
Nice!

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #13,298 of 19,145

Since this was a unit I was keeping for myself I could afford to take my time with it.  I bought and installed the parts a board at a time over a period of about six months.  If I was able to work on it continuously I could have finished it in less than a week, probably.

I do still have to replace the filter caps but don't have the ~$200 on hand to do that right now - but sometime in the next year that will be done.  Don't know if I will do any other tweaks - though am considering putting in an IEC inlet for power so that I can use any power cord I want.

Changing the captivated power cord to a iec is no doubt a great way to improve the units sonic signature with  a power cord of your preference. But does it affect the price of the unit in any negative fashion . I know some people are purists and would not want to modify the unit in this fashion to keep it original . Of course if you are keeping the unit that is no problem . I do not know what your preferred power cord brand is but may I be so bold . I have had good experience with the cable pro reverie power cable  while it is not inexpensive at around 300 dollars for a eight foot length .I can attest to the excellence of this power cord . I have two much more expensive power cables one the kubala sosna emotion and the other the outrageously expensive nordost brahma and the cable pro bested both of them in most of my set ups .
   Being technically gifted that is surely a nice thing when you want to keep restoration costs to a minimum. I know that a hundred dollars is a lot to pay for a couple of fuses but at least in my case the return in increased performance was well worth the expense .
  I used two isoclean fuses in my receiver to very good effect .

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #13,299 of 19,145
I have actually seen the IEC addition raise the value of a receiver on Ebay, but these things vary.  In my case I don't care as I will keep the unit and probably use a cheap upgrade cord like the like a Iron Lung Jellyfish / Volex 17604.

Someone here at HF did an extensive review which I found interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/219202/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #13,300 of 19,145
LOL the power cord debate, just grab the proper gauge off Monoprice as a start. They're well built and it's hard to get reliable cheap power cords anywhere else.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #13,303 of 19,145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back