Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #12,977 of 19,145
Thanks! I'm having a very tough time deciding which to keep and which to sell. My SX-1010 or the CR-2020.... :frowning2:

Keep. Them. Both.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #12,979 of 19,145
That's what I would do as well!!!

If it factors in at all, the SX-1010 can probably be kept running forever, even if it occasionally needs work. The Yamaha has a significant number of uncontainable parts, and so it's a bit less likely to be relied on over the long haul, although of course one never knows.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #12,980 of 19,145
Well I tried preamping   my concept 16.5 with my audio research preamp. I used my lcd2 v2s and I felt a bit mixed with the results .It could be that I need another nordost heimdall interconnect to go from the dac to the audio research preamp. But right now I am tapped out so at least for now I am going back to the concept unit preamp section. But I have found that the 16.5 works really well with my akg 701 phones. In fact I felt they sounded better than my lcd v2s with the 16.5 . I am really enjoying the 701s with this beast. I am going to upgrade the fuses in the 16.5 next when things get a little better for me financially .

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #12,981 of 19,145
  As of today, I am the proud new owner of a Fisher 500C which I purchased on ebay.ca.  I should get it sometime next week. I'd like to thank moodyrn for taking time to respond to my questions & suggesting some very good advice which helped me in this purchase.  I'm looking forward to sharing my views on this amp.

Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce to you, my new addition :

color]

It's here !!!!!  Got it today. As promised earlier I will share my impressions right now. The sound is absolutely incredible.  As specified by moodyrn the soundstage on this amp is simply out of this world.  I started out listening to the album "The Information" by Beck w/HD800s & instinctively I knew just by the sound that, although quite good, the Fisher 500C was made for my other Senns pair the infamous HD650s.  If I ever read or hear again about the HD650 veil that person is going to hear from me.  I have owned the HD650 for 5 years & I have never, I repeat never heard them shine like this before. I remember reading a review last year stating that with the HD650 you can hear the guitarist's fingers touching the guitar strings & I remember thinking "well ok, I like my HD650s but let's not go to extremes".  Well that was before the Fisher 500C : I can hear every little detail & sounds/instruments that seem new & believe me I know this album by heart.  Even the familiar sounds are so much more pronounced & there is no distortion whatsoever.  Every single instrument, voice, sound is separate, clear & completely transparent -& oh … that soundstage ! There are no low key or high key sound roll offs.  

For the remainder of today I will be in audiophile Nirvana, so if anyone else reading this gets there also today, please don't be alarmed if you notice a decrepit looking form floating in the sound atmosphere; it's only the "Old Groucho" hovering aimlessly over the sublime sound stratosphere (drugs & alcohol free I may add 
biggrin.gif
).  What an amp.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #12,983 of 19,145
Thanks captouch.  The picture is from ebay/seller (I don't have a digital camera) & yes, the 500C is in amazing condition.  I'm not familiar with the KX-100 but if it sounds anything like the 500C don't walk, run to your system & try out the HD650.  It's an amazing experience. 
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #12,984 of 19,145
I knew you would love it, I'm really glad you received it in great condition. One of the reasons it's a great pairing with the 650 is it's neutrality along with out of the world transparency. It's as neutral as any ss amp I've listened to, and even more transparent than most. It's special. As far as the kx100 go, it's an awemsome amp as well. But sounds completely different than the 500c. It's warm, lush, romantic and euphoric sounding. It might be too much of a good thing with the 650s. But it will absolutely make the hd800s sing, and is a better match for those. But the 500c is great for pretty much anything.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #12,985 of 19,145
I knew you would love it, I'm really glad you received it in great condition. One of the reasons it's a great pairing with the 650 is it's neutrality along with out of the world transparency. It's as neutral as any ss amp I've listened to, and even more transparent than most. It's special. As far as the kx100 go, it's an awemsome amp as well. But sounds completely different than the 500c. It's warm, lush, romantic and euphoric sounding. It might be too much of a good thing with the 650s. But it will absolutely make the hd800s sing, and is a better match for those. But the 500c is great for pretty much anything.

+1 (I'm an expert now 
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #12,986 of 19,145

Maybe I need to get a 500C as well. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #12,987 of 19,145
Lol, but don't sell the kx100 short. I had the x100c(same amp, different faceplate), and loved it. I only sold it after acquiring the 500c. But the person I sold it to said it best  his mulit-thousand dollar modern tube amp. I loved it with my he-6, and sometimes I do miss it. It had a very pleasing and unique tonality to it that many tube amps today just can't duplicate. But on the other hand, it went better with some speakers and headphones than others. But once you find a good paring, it's just wonderful. The 500/800c were just different animals. They were redesigned to go head to head with mcintosh tube amps and did very well in that regard.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #12,988 of 19,145
I need to try the KX-100 on my Alon II's.  On paper, they won't do great together since they require so much power.  But it's worth a try since the Alons so revealing and I don't listen a high volume most of the time anyway.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #12,989 of 19,145
Hah, I love it when peeps are blown away with these old amps! 

Congrats Groucho, I am jelly on a plate!! I'd give one of my wifes legs to have one of those bad boys... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back