Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #11,506 of 19,143
  +1!
I couldn't use ANY of my soldered -banana or spade - cables! 
Using raw braided cable is a pain but I did peruse some options if you have unterminated cables that are too big for your spring connectors:
1. Solid Pin connectors - Not recommended !
Not a great connection in that they can be pulled out easily and MUST avoid ones designed to "break off to fit". 
2. Tributaries Soft Pins or Viablue Flexible Pins (Monster also makes a cheaper version)
These are more interesting. The "pin" portion is "soft" braided cable instead of being thin hard metal and makes a solid connection that won't spin in the amp. The Tributaries can take up to 12 awg cable; not sure how big the ViaBlue can handle. Neither helps if your cables are terminated with something and unfortunately nether is cheap - though both are really well made, especially the ViaBlue.

The Tributaries Soft Pins are hard to find - I can't even find a good image online. Basically contact your local McIntosh dealer and ask for them. Tributaries and McIntosh are loosely related and Soft Pins were designed to mate modern cables to vintage McIntosh amps. They look like a more DIY version of the below ViaBlues:

I first saw the ViaBlue in Japan but found them here at Ram ($30+ for 4). 
http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=144&gclid=CIaImNSBv7oCFbFxQgodXwwAkw

In Japan I saw the even sexier T6 version:

The fancy pin connectors didn't help me as all my cables were soldered/terminated and them plugs and spades are too costly to snip off!
I ended up selling a pair of fancy speaker cables and buying bulk Nordost Flatline cable - great stuff!
http://www.nordost.com/products/speaker-cables/flatline/2-flat-speaker-cable.php
It's not that easy to find bulk/unterminated, but your local Nordost dealer should have bulk for sale by the foot for $5.00/foot.
It's thin, flat, extruded solid copper so it's light, near indestructible and easy to hide - even under carpets.

After stripping I bend the ends into a "pin" with a "lip" to make a secure connection in my Pioneer SA-7100.

Cables hides nicely behind the vintage Linn Kan stands:

WORKS! 
beerchug.gif

I have a Pioneer SA-7100 and posted this on this thread in Oct. The Nordost Flatline will solve your problems if you want a flexible cable that works with vintage Pioneer connectors. Otherwise get the soft type pin connectors. BJ Cables has a explanation of why the rigid pin connectors can cause problems.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #11,507 of 19,143
Just switched my setup from being a couchside setup that has been on an end table, to a more traditional desk setup. I just grabbed a desk and a chair from Staples. Cost me about $290 out the door. It's nothing too fancy, but it looks good and it works well.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #11,509 of 19,143
Added a cheapo lamp. Now I can have enough light to type if I want to.

I love lamp.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #11,510 of 19,143
Anybody know how a set of passive studio monitors like say the KRK R6's would do on a 65 wpc at 4 ohms vintage receiver like my SX-750? Not looking for crazy high volume, looking for a nice clean detailed sound at a low to moderate level. The specs look good on the R6's other than the stated 81db sensitivity, which seems awful low. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #11,512 of 19,143
Should be alright on the 750. 81db is low but not unmanageable for that amp.

I think I'm looking more towards something like this: http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

If there is not enough low end I could always add a small subwoofer. People are talking quite highly of these little speakers though. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #11,515 of 19,143
Here is the Pioneer SX-880 I picked up a few weeks ago. Pairs very nicely with my JBL L110's. I've got the Modi for now, and might grab a Magni to pair with it at some point.

There is no scratchiness on any of the controls on the SX-880, but I do get scratchiness and cutouts on the headphone out. Do I need to do anything on the inside of the cabinet with Deoxit, or can I swab it out from the outside to remedy this?

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #11,516 of 19,143
  Added a cheapo lamp. Now I can have enough light to type if I want to.

I love lamp.

Looking good jason! Yup I can see a couple of bookshelf speakers rounding your set up off. I would look at keeping it wood. Vintage wood :wink: Believe me you won't need a woofer with your Pioneer. Those cats are capable off great low end as I'm sure you know! 

I would just keep an eye out on Ebay etc and find something vintage and a lot cheaper than buying new speakers.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #11,517 of 19,143
Here is the Pioneer SX-880 I picked up a few weeks ago. Pairs very nicely with my JBL L110's. I've got the Modi for now, and might grab a Magni to pair with it at some point.

There is no scratchiness on any of the controls on the SX-880, but I do get scratchiness and cutouts on the headphone out. Do I need to do anything on the inside of the cabinet with Deoxit, or can I swab it out from the outside to remedy this?

You can try taking a q-tip, wetting it with deoxit, and swabbing the headphone jack. It's possible that will be the cure.

When it's cutting out, if you wiggle the plug does it come back?

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #11,519 of 19,143
  Yes, wiggling makes it come back. 

Defo try what Skylab said and give it a good clean. If its still cutting out it may be a dry solder joint, as this is fairly common with inputs where there had been pressure applied over the years. Easy fix for any handyman though :)  

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #11,520 of 19,143
I've been searching for vintage receivers on craigslist and found someone selling a "Fully Fuctioning" Realistic STA-90 for $75.  Also saw someone selling a Realistic STA-860 ("excellent condition, near mint")for the same price.  Is this a fair price?  Which one is better and will it drive my HE-400 well?

Furthermore there's a Yamaha CR-1000 in mint condition for $250.  It's a little too much but if it works well as a headphone amp I would consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back