Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #11,371 of 19,142
I still love seeing those large blue monsters every time I walk by it. And they go good with the blue meters too.
biggrin.gif

Beautiful.  The matching blue is perfect.  Thanks for sharing.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #11,373 of 19,142
I'm somewhat jealous of all the nice finds and refurbs here. 
frown.gif
 Great jobs though!! I am still patiently waiting for Terry to finish my 1280. I'm into the 5th week of waiting but it feels like the 5th month. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #11,375 of 19,142
I've been using the Kenwood KA-405 on/off for a while and it's now officially my preferred amp for my HE-500.
I'm slowly starting to look after some of the bigger Kenwoods to try out. I guess the search never ends
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #11,376 of 19,142
Moody, still loving the macs! 
Anyways, I got digging into the equipment I picked up in a questionably working status. The preamp is seriously clean inside. Not clean"ed", just clean. Mirror shine. I have never seen something make it through the 60's without any rust, dust, smoke, or anything. I cleaned the pots out with deoxit and felt bad and I had to go back thoroughly clean up the splatter since it was so frikkin clean inside. I feel like I made it dirtier by cleaning it...Also, on the power amp, it has clearly been worked on. The caps look new. I took a photo because I think it may have been recapped. Did they come with blue caps?? I'm feeling like a lucky SOB with this setup.
After the deoxit, the scratchiness is gone and they sound great.  The only problem I have is that it is about half as much power as I'd like to have, since my speakers are fairly inefficient. Sure, I can juuuuust make it uncomfortably loud, but I don't like turning the volume up all the way... What a good problem to have haha.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #11,377 of 19,142
Those blue nichicons comes stock in all the vintage macs from that era(mine had them too). Those were the equivalent of the nichicon muse used today. And it's also why the muses are recommended for all vintage Mac recaps over at ak. But that thing is so seriously clean I can see how you would have thought that. That is one amazing score to find a vintage Mac in that condition. Also shows how good the build quality were on those too.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #11,378 of 19,142
  I've been using the Kenwood KA-405 on/off for a while and it's now officially my preferred amp for my HE-500.
I'm slowly starting to look after some of the bigger Kenwoods to try out. I guess the search never ends
biggrin.gif

Have heard great things about the KR 8010.  Want to hear one my self at some point (along with all the other things I want).

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #11,379 of 19,142
  Have heard great things about the KR 8010.  Want to hear one my self at some point (along with all the other things I want).

Looks great, but I'm more into their integrated amps. Something like the KA-801 or KA-701 :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #11,380 of 19,142
I just got my Marantz 2252B back from surgery.  Cosmetically, it looked like it was salvaged from hurricane Katrina.  It had loose knobs and the selector swithc had one side of the knurled shaft missing so that a know wouldn't even stay on. All new electrolytics and speaker relay replaced.  The relay now has a socket, so if it ever needs to be replace, you just pop it out and a new one in.  It tested our superbly at less than .03%THD. If anyone needs a tech in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I can strongly recommend Frank Mufich in Mckinney.  The man can do wonders.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #11,383 of 19,142
biggrin.gif

Indeed the search is endless my friend. Also, don't limit yourself to one brand. I started out with a Pioneer but ended up finding my preferred sound with Sansui and NAD. Of course all brands don't sound the same, so you then have to plough through different phases (late 60's - early - mid - late 70's - early 80's) 
eek.gif
 Actually, yes just stick with Kenwoods. You'll save yourself a fortune. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #11,384 of 19,142
Those blue nichicons comes stock in all the vintage macs from that era(mine had them too). Those were the equivalent of the nichicon muse used today. And it's also why the muses are recommended for all vintage Mac recaps over at ak. But that thing is so seriously clean I can see how you would have thought that. That is one amazing score to find a vintage Mac in that condition. Also shows how good the build quality were on those too.

Thanks! Glad to know that is what they came with. I'm still thrilled with them. It is giving me dangerous thoughts haha 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back