Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #8,806 of 19,143
Last night out of pure boredom around 3AM I decided to do a little experiment... I hooked my family's old early 90's Sony Hi8 handycam to the tape out of my HK 670 and RCA analog in to the handycam and recorded the audio onto a blank Hi8 tape. I cannot believe the sound quality omg it blew me away. how the hell can it sound so good on a Hi-8 tape? holy crap... I hooked it up to my KA-7100 amp since it's line-out and it about blew me away how wonderful the sound was. too bad it's just a bit too big to use as a portable player :p jeeze 20 year old tape and it sounds better than the source that was recorded to it. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #8,807 of 19,143
Bad news guys... My bedside Pioneer is dying. Sniff. She started to feel ill earlier this week. A little bit of distortion in one channel. I put it down to oxide on the switches. Next day I took her apart and cleaned and cleaned. Plugged in on the night time and she sounded fab again :) Then about an hour later the same thing... Only worse :frowning2: both channels dull and distorted slowly getting worse. Suppose I'll have to hand her off for parts n spares bless her..

Still we had a great time!

Here she is during happier times when I'd just given her a paint job (rustic teak!) She was proud as punch!  
size]
  ... booohooo.... mwaaah snif snif mwwwaaaaaaHHH  snif sniffle. 
size]

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to get another Pioneer. Bigger and better one! 
size]
 Hurry up pay pay!! 
size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #8,810 of 19,143
Quote:
I think you need to clean it again. You just stirred the dust on those contacts.

Thanks, but its been fine for the last few months. It was recapped when I bought it and when you look inside its all nice and clean? Panasonic caps n all. It wasn't a full recap though.. It just seems strange that one day its fine then the next day I can here it degrading. Surely oxidisation wouldn't occur that quickly? The guy I bought it from did the recap and he always cleans switches, pots before he sells. He's one of the trusted sellers on the bay. My guess is that its a capacitor going, but I'm no expert. 

You've given me hope though:) I will give it another clean. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,814 of 19,143
Quote:
First loves are always the sweetest. 
size]

And sweet she was my friend. I'm filling up again...

And what made it worse was, when I told my wife about what had happened during the night she said - 'thank screw* for that, does it mean I can have a normal looking bedroom again?' Tuh..
size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #8,816 of 19,143
Quote:
Dirty contacts wouldn't result in distortion . There would be static and drop outs but not distortion. That sounds like a bad cap or loose solder joint.

Yeah It just sounds bad. Like really bad. dull and mashed up. It sounds fine as soon as its switched on, but then slowly gets worse and worse. 

Thanks, I knew it couldn't be dirt. Not after I'd given it such a thorough spray yesterday. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #8,817 of 19,143
Quote:
I'd also check the voltage out of the wall, as well as try a different outlet.

I did mate, I had it plugged into a mains filter and when I replaced it (sniff) with my stand in amp, that one is fine. 

I will try an outlet downstairs as well when I give it one last look inside. 

It's not all bad though folks. I have another 5 amps in the building :) But just goes to show, these old guys don't last forever. 

Question: When you guys clean with deoxit, do you spray everywhere? Or just the pots and switches? I've always thought that its a lubricant spray and may not be good to spray all the parts inside?

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #8,819 of 19,143
Quote:
I am always careful to spray only the pots. Don't know why though...

Yeah I'm the same. I use the straw to try and spray only inside the pots. I'm just thinking, because it contains anti oxide stuff it may be good to spray all contacts perhaps? Dunno.

Any more thoughts on the Pioneer v's the Sansui you've got going on at the mo? Is there a winner or are you defo keeping both. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8,820 of 19,143
Quote:
Yeah I'm the same. I use the straw to try and spray only inside the pots. I'm just thinking, because it contains anti oxide stuff it may be good to spray all contacts perhaps? Dunno.

Any more thoughts on the Pioneer v's the Sansui you've got going on at the mo? Is there a winner or are you defo keeping both. 

Got a local guru that can work on it for you?  Maybe put it in ICU and do a transfusion? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back