Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #8,508 of 19,142

Beautiful Marantz. I need to change the paper in the 2220B (it looks blue in the pic but it's an ugly greenish yellow) I should probably get the crud off that speaker screen too... lol

That. Is. Gorgeous. Like a wall of vintage. How do you choose which to listen to?

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #8,509 of 19,142
Ok you know the other day, when I said I was done. Apparently I wasn't... Because I've bought some more stuff. :D 

First of all I snapped up a Marantz 5000 cassette deck up for £8. Yes thats right £8 !! It works as well.

Then because I had already been bitten by the Sansui venom, it was inevitable that I'd have to sample something else. Plus with that hum I was getting on my AU-505, I wanted to see if it was indeed normal with my headphones. So I chose to get another amp from the same period (early to mid 70's) because I've decided that that is the sound for me.

Snapped up a very good condition 551 receiver for £70, seriously it is very close to timewarp condition and came in its original box. Had a quick look inside just to give the switches a quick squirt and there's not even dust inside!

I'm over the moon with the sound. It is cleaner sounding than my au505 and I've put that down to the much better condition it's in. Still seductive with warmth and liquidy smoothness. I know this sound will not be to everyones taste but using the HD800's its ideal. Plus no hum or hissss! Its a keeper for sure :)

and the Marantz

And my main set up how it looks today. I've got two dacs behind the scenes so that I can chop n change from Sansui to Marantz with a few clicks on the pc. The tape deck is pretty much just for looks. 

^ thats my foot. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #8,510 of 19,142
Very nice LugBug!! And congrats. You wont get much discouragement about buying new vintage gear here. 
size]

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8,512 of 19,142
Quote:
Ok you know the other day, when I said I was done. Apparently I wasn't... Because I've bought some more stuff. :D 

First of all I snapped up a Marantz 5000 cassette deck up for £8. Yes thats right £8 !! It works as well.

Then because I had already been bitten by the Sansui venom, it was inevitable that I'd have to sample something else. Plus with that hum I was getting on my AU-505, I wanted to see if it was indeed normal with my headphones. So I chose to get another amp from the same period (early to mid 70's) because I've decided that that is the sound for me.

Snapped up a very good condition 551 receiver for £70, seriously it is very close to timewarp condition and came in its original box. Had a quick look inside just to give the switches a quick squirt and there's not even dust inside!

I'm over the moon with the sound. It is cleaner sounding than my au505 and I've put that down to the much better condition it's in. Still seductive with warmth and liquidy smoothness. I know this sound will not be to everyones taste but using the HD800's its ideal. Plus no hum or hissss! Its a keeper for sure :)

and the Marantz

And my main set up how it looks today. I've got two dacs behind the scenes so that I can chop n change from Sansui to Marantz with a few clicks on the pc. The tape deck is pretty much just for looks. 

^ thats my foot. 

For the record, I never believed you were done.  We.  Can't.  Help.  Ourselves.

Nice work! 

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #8,513 of 19,142
Quote:
Very nice LugBug!! And congrats. You wont get much discouragement about buying new vintage gear here. 
size]

Thanks mate, seriously I don't think I've ever been happier than with the sound I have now with this Sansui. 
Quote:
blink.gif
 When you said you were "Done" I believed you. So now what 
confused.gif

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Haha addicts will say anything!! 

beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #8,514 of 19,142
Quote:
For the record, I never believed you were done.  We.  Can't.  Help.  Ourselves.

Nice work! 

Haha You're right bud, and its a downward spiral with only one outcome.... 

SX1980 
size]

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #8,515 of 19,142
Quote:
Thanks mate, seriously I don't think I've ever been happier than with the sound I have now with this Sansui. 
Haha addicts will say anything!! 

beerchug.gif

You're talking to someone who owns and listened to the 9090db everyday. I understand what you mean perfectly. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8,516 of 19,142
:
Haha You're right bud, and its a downward spiral with only one outcome.... 

SX1980 
size]

It's calling you...you know you want one...

8FE86E64-56D0-460A-BDC3-5C5B6A439495-11198-000015844691F545_zps44c1c598.jpg

:D :D :D

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #8,520 of 19,142
Quote:

You're talking to someone who owns and listened to the 9090db everyday. I understand what you mean perfectly. 

Yup, they got it right. Soo musical yet detailed. The word 'seductive' keeps springing to mind. I know Marantz gets compared to Sansui from the same period, but although I really like the sound of my 2216b, its the refinement that the Sansui has that beats it hands down imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back