Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7,818 of 19,143

Back on topic... So I'm currently spending 3 years in the UK and some talk about units that were unique to different regions got me thinking... is there anything vintage I should be keeping my eye open for over here, or possibly seeking out? 

I've got a few tubes I'm chasing, I found a really cool turntable, what about amps? 

I realize this is sort of tossing a pretty wide net, but a few suggestions would give me some leads to track.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #7,819 of 19,143
Quote:
I didn't win the auction on the AX-1000 :frowning2:

Went out of my budget.

Too bad!
We lost the chance to see nude of beauty, I mean innards.

From internet, the innards of A-X900 Isn't impressive. No torfa, small heatsink. There may have huge difference between A-X900 and A-X1000, same as Pioneer A-80 and A-90.

A-80 innards (from internet)

A-90 innards (from internet)

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #7,820 of 19,143
Quote:

Back on topic... So I'm currently spending 3 years in the UK and some talk about units that were unique to different regions got me thinking... is there anything vintage I should be keeping my eye open for over here, or possibly seeking out? 

I've got a few tubes I'm chasing, I found a really cool turntable, what about amps? 

I realize this is sort of tossing a pretty wide net, but a few suggestions would give me some leads to track.

Great question, actually. Because along with other consumer products (like cars), companies often make only certain models available in regional markets. Yes 
size]
 we know you know, but... hopefully this thread can shed light on those Electronics Company exports for the U.K. and local wares.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #7,821 of 19,143
The next person to reference cables on my favorite thread gets pistol whipped.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #7,822 of 19,143
I think you just referenced them...

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #7,823 of 19,143

YES - look for some nice vintage B&W speakers. DM-1200, DM-1400, and DM-16 come immediately to mind, but the are others too. These seem to sell for much less in the UK than they do over here, likely because they sold far more per capita over there. I have been blown away at how good the DM-16's are.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7,824 of 19,143
Quote:

You may want to look at the early A&R Cambridge stuff, which later turned into Arcam. They are always popping up on ebay.  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-R-Cambridge-a60-vintage-amp-tuner-/261234478910?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Tuners&hash=item3cd2c9cf3e

Also, there is some really cool vintage Technics stuff available on ebay at the mo. The SU range is very good in my experience (and my Dads :) From the late 70's beasts to the more sleek early 80's models. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #7,825 of 19,143
I don't know how the cable thing started, I thought we were talking about upgrading the vintage AC connection point to something more modern and efficient.

Hope that fixed it for y'all
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #7,826 of 19,143
Hi all,

A Marantz Receiver, model 26 is for sale near me for $220.  
Is this a good price?
I am also wondering if 1.) the headphone jack/amp will power (well) a pair of Mad Dogs, and 2.) Can I hook up spade connector speaker cables?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #7,827 of 19,143
Quote:
I don't know how the cable thing started, I thought we were talking about upgrading the vintage AC connection point to something more modern and efficient.

Hope that fixed it for y'all
wink_face.gif

Honestly, I thought the first foray into the kitchen was fine. Like any good chef will do, "This is what I used to solve the problem and here's how." Then someone observed "That (meat, fish, pork, poultry, fruit, vegetable, herb or spice) doesn't make a difference!"

And then...
popcorn.gif

tongue_smile.gif
 FOOD FIGHT

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #7,828 of 19,143
Quote:
Hi all,

Is this a good price?
I am also wondering if 1.) the headphone jack/amp will power (well) a pair of Mad Dogs, and 2.) Can I hook up spade connector speaker cables?

Thanks!

I haven't tried that model, but the MD love the power from the vintage amps. I'd say that it would be a good match. 

So take your hp's, a source and get over there and try it out!!

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #7,829 of 19,143
Quote:
Hi all,

Is this a good price?

Thanks!

I have no experience with earlier Marantz model.
All I know is that some people really dig first generation transistor stuff, but not me.
It can't take spade connector, you have to buy some pin type connectors.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7,830 of 19,143
Earlier in this mammoth thread, I posted about issues I was having with my Kenwood KR-9400 and its sound quality. I am happy to report that after pressing in the "AF Muting" button (I believe it is similar to the -20db on other vintage receivers), it really widened up the soundstage for my headphones. Before, the mids were so sharp and forward, it hurt to turn it up. Now it is clear, spacious and very 3D. The mids are not recessed now, but more neutral, so I am getting more highs/lows than I was before. I am using it to drive my HD800 and Audio Technica AD2000x straight from my Marantz SACD8004 (it has a built-in DAC as well) and it is absolutely beautiful on both. No goofy "pairing" issues. I put in an electronic album and I could almost "see" the sounds that are normally buried in the mix.

Score one for the vintage scene. This thing blows away every dedicated headphone amplifier I've heard so far (mostly in the $1000-$1500 range).

So just a question...if I were to pick up a second vintage receiver mostly as a headphone amp, what would compliment the KR-9400? I want to say it is slightly warm and I have read a lot of Pioneers are brighter or neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back