Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6,676 of 19,142
my vintage receivers are close to my woo with  the LCD2.
Theres a difference, but its not huge.
Mainly soundstage/imaging, dynamics and a little bit of extra detail.
again these difference aren't big.  

do you plan to ever use speakers?
price is really the other thing to consider.

if i weren't obsessed with audio, if it weren't an addiction, I would be very happy with my 2245 that ive been slowly recapping, to power both my speakers and headphones.  Its sounded great with everything ive plugged into it, Beyers, Senns, Shures, Audio Technica, Fischer, ect.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #6,679 of 19,142
Nice looking Yamaha.

I just picked up a CR 1020 at a swap meet this weekend, I do not have it in my possession as of yet, my friend is looking over the internals for me even though it was in great shape I still wanted him to check it over.  Why is there two headphone outs on these? And how does it sound with headphones? I read somewhere they where designed to run the Yamaha Otho's, but I can't seem to find much info.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6,680 of 19,142
Quote:
Nice looking Yamaha.

I just picked up a CR 1020 at a swap meet this weekend, I do not have it in my possession as of yet, my friend is looking over the internals for me even though it was in great shape I still wanted him to check it over.  Why is there two headphone outs on these? And how does it sound with headphones? I read somewhere they where designed to run the Yamaha Otho's, but I can't seem to find much info.

Thanks

I have the baby of that family (CR-220) - even that sounds very good with all the HP's I've tried with it.   Mine only has 1 HP out.  Yours is higher in the line, so you have two.
One of the 'prettiest' receivers I have - they're quite elegant looking.  Have fun with it!

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,681 of 19,142
The 1020 is a great receiver. I've got one now and it is my HP amp for my D2000s. I think it sounds great, lots of power and a clean, neutral sound. I sold these back in the70s but never had a pair of their orthos, so I don't really remember how they sounded.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #6,682 of 19,142
Quote:
I have the baby of that family (CR-220) - even that sounds very good with all the HP's I've tried with it.   Mine only has 1 HP out.  Yours is higher in the line, so you have two.
One of the 'prettiest' receivers I have - they're quite elegant looking.  Have fun with it!

Thanks! I got a good deal on it and it is absolutely gorgeous, I bought it purely on aesthetics, I hope it does not disappoint.(or hum lol)

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #6,684 of 19,142
i do love the looks of the CR x20 and x40 yamahas, as well as the CA's.
them along with the Kenwood KR's and KA's seem to be the best deals in vintage iron

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,685 of 19,142
As RGD pointed out, the Yamaha's headphone outputs are not anything special, though I like to imagine they used a "pad"-type resistor network instead of a simple pair of dropping resistors. The Orthodynamics were in fact close to the "standard" (cough) headphone output impedance and in addition were miniature planar-magnetics (like an EMIT or a Magneplanar), and thus just about the easiest kind of headphone to drive, given enough power-- Yamaha had no need to make the CR-820's headphone outs special! It was just a cross-promotion, but it did make people think "Jeez, these things will only work with Yamaha headphones!", so it probably backfired on 'em.

Joehalo, very nice setup, and that turntable looks very interesting indeed. See if you can raise the turntable an inch or two off the Yamaha. Cooling and not-cooking the capacitors and such, y'know.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #6,686 of 19,142
Quote:
As RGD pointed out, the Yamaha's headphone outputs are not anything special, though I like to imagine they used a "pad"-type resistor network instead of a simple pair of dropping resistors. The Orthodynamics were in fact close to the "standard" (cough) headphone output impedance and in addition were miniature planar-magnetics (like an EMIT or a Magneplanar), and thus just about the easiest kind of headphone to drive, given enough power-- Yamaha had no need to make the CR-820's headphone outs special! It was just a cross-promotion, but it did make people think "Jeez, these things will only work with Yamaha headphones!", so it probably backfired on 'em.

Joehalo, very nice setup, and that turntable looks very interesting indeed. See if you can raise the turntable an inch or two off the Yamaha. Cooling and not-cooking the capacitors and such, y'know.

Gotcha,  thanks for the info. At first i was thinking it was some kind of balanced out with the dual jacks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6,687 of 19,142
Quote:

hi
yes the price was so high. in the region which I live in, there are only two stores having this type of vintage, So they think that they have the right to determine their own prices!
For buying the speakers I saw no good choice but just this Sony speaker:

Its tweeter are damaged, but I am pleased with its voice. I want to dismantle it and make something like this;

www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble%20Homemade%20Hifi_Classic_copy.pdf

What do you think?

Several days ago, I cleaned it by opening its front glass:

no idea???:frowning2:

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #6,688 of 19,142
Thanks for the compliments. It is a CR 820 I found it at a thrift-store for 30$. So far I am loving my first taste of vinyl! The turntable is a sansui P-D11 I got from some old lady off craiglist for 20$.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #6,690 of 19,142
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for some advice.  There is a Luxman 404 available in my neck of the woods really cheap.  I think it is too cheap to pass up even if it is a bust, but do you all have any info on the old Luxmans (mid 80's I believe).  I don't see them discussed much here...

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back