Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #6,602 of 19,143
Quote:
I even gave her two shiny, new bulbs less than a week ago. You'd think that would buy me a little sumpthin sumpthin ...

classic "what have you done for me lately". 

I on the other hand will  cut my losses with my 2226b and go with something else.  I have a Pioneer SX2500 coming that I bought because I like the look, but I may end up going with another Pioneer (I've made quite a few impulse purchases lately that arent working out for me).  Until then, I have my PL41 hooked up to my TC-760 to a Lepai T amp, to my speakers. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,603 of 19,143
On the subject of vintage Marantz repair in CA, southern CA, has anyone come across Tom Ishimoto's Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley? He used to design some of this stuff; he ought to know a thing or two about repairing it. He's also hadrian333 over at AudioKarma.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #6,604 of 19,143

I finally finished restoring my 2270.

While it sounded pleasant before the upgrades, it had the typical warm Marantz sound with rolled off treble, and also a problem with intermittent static.

The static was eliminated after replacing the differential pair, outputs and the daisy heatsink transistors.

All of the electrolytic caps were subbed (mostly with Elna Silmic II), generally following the suggestions of Patfont in the Electrolytic Cap Shootout Thread on AK.  Main filters were Mundorf M-Lytic 10,000uF (bypassed by 2uF Vishay/Sprague PP film caps).

The following pre-amp, power and amp boards had all of the resistors changed to Vishay/Dale 1% metal films:  p400, p450, p750, p750, p800.
Film caps (and low value electrolytics) were changed to mostly orange drops and some Panasonic and Vishay (all PP films).

New relay.
Trimmer resistors were swapped.
Headphone out dropping resistors changed to low noise wirewounds.

Main in/Pre out jumpers internally bridged.
Modern speaker binding posts.  
New AUX jacks.

All sixteen lamps changed to LEDs.
Offset, bias voltage and current set to factory specs.

300 hours of burn-in later, it now sounds like a totally different receiver.  Before, on a 1 to 10 scale of cold to warm, it rated around 8.  Now, I would say 5.5.  The treble sparkles, much better detail, transparency and bigger soundstage.  The bass is tighter and extends further.

Possible future upgrades: diodes and transistors on power and amp boards and of course a wooden case.  

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #6,607 of 19,143

While it sounded pleasant before the upgrades, it had the typical warm Marantz sound with rolled off treble, and also a problem with intermittent static.

The static was eliminated after replacing the differential pair, outputs and the daisy heatsink transistors.

All of the electrolytic caps were subbed (mostly with Elna Silmic II), generally following the suggestions of Patfont in the Electrolytic Cap Shootout Thread on AK.  Main filters were Mundorf M-Lytic 10,000uF (bypassed by 2uF Vishay/Sprague PP film caps).

The following pre-amp, power and amp boards had all of the resistors changed to Vishay/Dale 1% metal films:  p400, p450, p750, p750, p800.

Film caps (and low value electrolytics) were changed to mostly orange drops and some Panasonic and Vishay (all PP films).

New relay.

New AUX jacks.

300 hours of burn-in later, it now sounds like a totally different receiver.  Before, on a 1 to 10 scale of cold to warm, it rated around 8.  Now, I would say 5.5.  The treble sparkles, much better detail, transparency and bigger soundstage.  The bass is tighter and extends further.

Possible future upgrades: diodes and transistors on power and amp boards and of course a wooden case.  

That looks really nice and I'm sure sounds a lot better. Changing the old caps definitely improves the high end on these guys. I replaced the lamps in mine with the LEDs as well, they are great replacements.

I've always loved the 22xx Marantz's - they have the 70s vibe for sure.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #6,609 of 19,143
Indeed, looks awesome and I bet it sounds great!!!! Nice work.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #6,610 of 19,143
I finally finished restoring my 2270

Wow! That looks great and it sounds like it was quite the project. I'm intrigued by the low noise wire rounds. How'd that work out with regard to floor noise?

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6,611 of 19,143
Thanks guys.  I'm still recovering from the solder fumes, haha.

Given all the other changes I can't quantify how much the noise floor dropped from the wire wound dropping resistors.  I've noticed from past projects that there is a noticeable cumulative effect from swapping these resistors AND updating the RCA jacks AND installing a high quality connector between the main in/pre out jacks (I've used a DIY 2 inch long silver plated copper cable in a 3 braid with Neutrik RCA plugs).

It's interesting to think about how all of these changes might combine to form the overall sound.  I think in this case there are 3 main factors:
The warm(ish) Elna Silmic II caps
The detail and transparency of 1% metal film resistors
All of the polypro film caps that open up the sound and extend the treble(?)

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #6,612 of 19,143
Quote:

New relay.

New AUX jacks.

Beautiful job- I am about to go through this process with a 2230 I just picked up off CL for $75.  It is in beautiful condition (other than the power button needs replacement).  I am looking forward to the process.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #6,613 of 19,143
Thanks guys.  I'm still recovering from the solder fumes, haha.

Given all the other changes I can't quantify how much the noise floor dropped from the wire wound dropping resistors.  I've noticed from past projects that there is a noticeable cumulative effect from swapping these resistors AND updating the RCA jacks AND installing a high quality connector between the main in/pre out jacks (I've used a DIY 2 inch long silver plated copper cable in a 3 braid with Neutrik RCA plugs).

It's interesting to think about how all of these changes might combine to form the overall sound.  I think in this case there are 3 main factors:
The warm(ish) Elna Silmic II caps
The detail and transparency of 1% metal film resistors
All of the polypro film caps that open up the sound and extend the treble(?)

I never considered that before.

Nice work, I have no doubt it was worth every hour spent.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #6,614 of 19,143
Picked this up today, $40 at Salvation Army. One can of DeOxit later, and she's up and running!
(Onkyo TX-2500 mkII)

Sounds great with my HD650s, and inexplicably drives my Magnepans better than my Denon AVR-3805 (160 wpc at 6 ohms)

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #6,615 of 19,143
Quote:
Picked this up today, $40 at Salvation Army. One can of DeOxit later, and she's up and running!
(Onkyo TX-2500 mkII)

Sounds great with my HD650s, and inexplicably drives my Magnepans better than my Denon AVR-3805 (160 wpc at 6 ohms)

This is awesome.  Great find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back