Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,728 of 19,143
an adapter or just re-cable your headphones as balanced making the tips either banana connectors or spade type or can just have plain speaker wire ends as well.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,729 of 19,143

Quote:
an adapter or just re-cable your headphones as balanced making the tips either banana connectors or spade type or can just have plain speaker wire ends as well.

Will listening this way be an upgrade sonically?
I saw the other day in radioshack, an audio cable that formed into a headphone input. Could this work? Could I just plug the red and yellow audio cable into the back of my Sansui receiver? I hope this won't damage my headphones.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,730 of 19,143
Probably not, I think you are describing a standard mini-stereo to RCA input cable.  This is typically used as aux input not output to headphones.
Is this what you found?
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP

As previously mentioned you need a balanced headphone cable and adapter.

Here is an image of an adapter I bought off the forums here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555546/hiflight-xlr-speaker-leads-adapter-banana-plugs-sold
Or you could use something like this
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=104

What headphones are you trying to drive?  What sansui model do you have?  Most people use speaker taps for hard to drive headphones with amps/receivers having weak headphone output.  Under such a scenario one would benefit sonically.  Does your equipment fit this criteria?

Quote:
How do you hook up headphones to the speaker inputs of a receiver?

Quote:
Will listening this way be an upgrade sonically?
I saw the other day in radioshack, an audio cable that formed into a headphone input. Could this work? Could I just plug the red and yellow audio cable into the back of my Sansui receiver? I hope this won't damage my headphones.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,731 of 19,143

Quote:
Probably not, I think you are describing a standard mini-stereo to RCA input cable.  This is typically used as aux input not output to headphones.
Is this what you found?
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP

As previously mentioned you need a balanced headphone cable and adapter.

Here is an image of an adapter I bought off the forums here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555546/hiflight-xlr-speaker-leads-adapter-banana-plugs-sold
Or you could use something like this
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=104

What headphones are you trying to drive?  What sansui model do you have?  Most people use speaker taps for hard to drive headphones with amps/receivers having weak headphone output.  Under such a scenario one would benefit sonically.  Does your equipment fit this criteria?

Quote:

Quote:

I have a Sansui A-550. There is no info anywhere about this unit. I have Denon D-2000 headphones. Which are easy to drive. I just wanted to see if there would be an improvement if listening through the back of the receiver. Oh and yes that amazon link you copied is what I thought could work.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #1,735 of 19,143
Can finally join the vintage receiver club! Picked up a nice Kenwood KR-9600 today off of Craigslist for a decent price.

First impression, amp sounds a lot more full and rich with my LCD-2s compared to the Harman Kardon 3490 and uDAC-2 I was running them on. Tuner is a joy to use. Can get the volume knob up to around '1' before it's too loud. Definitely a monster. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now for my Audio-gd DAC to get here...

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,736 of 19,143
congrats, that's a beast receiver.

Quote:
Can finally join the vintage receiver club! Picked up a nice Kenwood KR-9600 today off of Craigslist for a decent price.

First impression, amp sounds a lot more full and rich with my LCD-2s compared to the Harman Kardon 3490 and uDAC-2 I was running them on. Tuner is a joy to use. Can get the volume knob up to around '1' before it's too loud. Definitely a monster. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,737 of 19,143

Quote:
I have a Sansui A-550. There is no info anywhere about this unit. I have Denon D-2000 headphones. Which are easy to drive. I just wanted to see if there would be an improvement if listening through the back of the receiver. Oh and yes that amazon link you copied is what I thought could work.

LOL! if it were me, i'd definitely NOT hook up the D2k direct to speaker outs. i think u mite have perhaps O....say a mm or 2 of vol headroom before popping D2k tranducer cones or worst, your ear drums so no matter how inviting the speaker direct hookup mite seem, its NOT a brilliant idea for a super efficient headphone like the denons.

OTOH i mite be tempted to try it out on an AKG K702. not sure if it'll be better sounding than the headphone jack but its def an interesting area of exploration
k701smile.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #1,738 of 19,143
Yeah I was afraid of that.

you be fine with any headphone off the speaker outputs. i rewired many headphones and even computer gaming headsets to be used off the speaker outputs and just soldered 16 gauge copper wire as an experiment to see how it works. just with headphone like the D2000 or other that has high sensitivity you would get very little to no headroom at all in volume and find yourself using the ''muting'' button all the time while keeping the volume at zero. i would only suggest speaker outputs for very power hungry and low sensitive headphones. usually any headphone ranging from 32-600ohms should be just more then fine off lot of these receiver's headphone jack with couple of resistors in place.

i just don't suggest it to some cause your taking a big risk and seriously need to be alert when using your amp's speaker output cause one wrong move on the volume knob or tone controls(even loudness button) you'll fry your headphones within seconds or if lucky just kill them enough where you get annoying rattling consentingly rendering them as useless. if you do plan in the future. always remember before headphone use make sure volume is all the way down to zero and to make sure loudness is off and all tone controls are set to defeat/balance. even if the headphone can take lots of power your ears sure won't be able to so volume always at zero on power up. i don't know about you but i'm very sensitive to high SPL and very high frequencies(my hearing is better now then when i was a kid) so i always listen at the bare minimum spl at 1w/1mw with lot of speakers and headphones

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #1,739 of 19,143
Get a Russound TBL-75 tabletop volume control. This has a headphone jack in front. This unit connects to speaker outs. It does not seem to color the sound to me. Works great for tapping for a headphone jack when do not have one.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,740 of 19,143

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

I should have mine up and running by the end of the week. I really can't wait. It's going to be a cage match between it, and my sx1010. I have a feeling my sx1010 may be more neutral sounding and the the kr-9600 may be more fun and musical sounding. But only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back