Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 13, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #15,677 of 19,143
  So this isn't exactly a vintage amplifier, but it is vintage, and it's awesome, sooo...

B&W 801 Series 80 :D

What's a vintage amp without a vintage speaker ... 
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #15,678 of 19,143
@SpeakerBox@SirMarc@Skylab@buson160man@frahengeo

Thanks to all of you for the info on the Sansui and Pioneer amps.

I'm going to heed your advice concerning the Pioneers and shoot for the SX-1250.
Built like a tank, overbuilt power supply, easy to service and no unobtanium parts like the 80 series.
Added benefit is the lower price.
And togeteher with my Sansui 9090 it will give me a nice assortment of some of the best receivers from the best
brands I believe.
I know there are other options and choices but I think this can be considered a dreamteam.

After that I will be looking for a pair of Diatones, probably DS-3000 or DS-V3000 in addition to the Kappas.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #15,679 of 19,143
Do need a little advice.

I have the option of going for a Pioneer SA-9500ii or an A-717 for roughly the same price. Should I get either or buy something else e.g. Kenwood or Yamaha or something?

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #15,680 of 19,143
A question about turntables.

I just came across this:

Thorens TD 160 B MKll with:

SME arm, Serie lll S with Fuid damper FD lllS
Denon element DL-304, barely used, needle perfect
Music Mat Canada and felt mat
New massive Amerikaans Walnut housing, 22 mm
New hinges  (van Linn LP12)
New black anodised aluminum topplate
New original Thorens belt

Is this one vintage? Sounds good at 900€?

On the other hand I have since long been coinsidering the Marantz TT-15S1 which is a new turntable but has been out for quite a long time now. It is made by ClearAudio and at it's price (about 1600€ I can get it for new) considered a really high value for money. It includes a clearaudio tonarm and a really good Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood Ebony moving-magnet (MM) cartridge as well.

TT-15S1 Premium TurnTable

Analogue purists behold: the TT-15S1 Premium Range turntable is here. It has a solid acrylic resin chassis in design style of the Premium Range, a 3 cm-thick heavy acrylic platter with a black felt cover, solid aluminium feet, and state-of-the-art ceramic bearings, so it almost eliminates chassis resonance. The Marantz exclusive MM-system in a stylish ebony body is directly xed to the high-grade audio intercon- nector reducing signal resistance to a minimum. Its anodised arm has been optimised to partner the unit perfectly. The motor is dampened and isolated from the chassis to prevent vibration influence. And a ‘clever clamp’ system ensures excellent disc contact with platter. The magnetic anti-skating system is contact-free to eliminate unwanted stylus stresses, and the continuous silicon belt guarantees rotational accuracy. The TT-15S1 represents the ultimate addition to any audio- phile’s home audio system.

Main Features
  1. Acryl chassis with massive aluminium feet
  2. 3cm thick acryl platter
  3. Ceramic bearing
  4. Marantz exclusive MM system in ebony body
  5. Direct wired system

Endless silicon belt

FEATURES

TT-15S1

Motor: AC / DC

o /-

Drive System: Belt / Direct

o /-

Bearing: Ceramic / Metal

o /-

Operation: Manual/Automatic

o /-

Speed: 33 - 1/3 / 45 RPM

o /o

Stylus (MM / MC)

o /-

Stylus version

Marantz Virtuoso Ebony

Belt: Rubber / Silicon

- /o

SPECIFICATIONS

Rated Output

3mV / 1kHz

Frequency Range

20Hz - 20kHz

Signal to Noise Ratio

80dB

GENERAL

Clever Clamp

o

Available colors: Black / White

-/o

Maximum Dimensions (W x D x H) in mm

440 x 350 x 110

Weight in kg

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #15,681 of 19,143
Do need a little advice.

I have the option of going for a Pioneer SA-9500ii or an A-717 for roughly the same price. Should I get either or buy something else e.g. Kenwood or Yamaha or something?

The SA-9500 is an excellent, high power integrated, one of Pioneers best. I'd go for it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #15,684 of 19,143
  Do need a little advice.

I once talked with a guy that got very serious vintage collection and his fav amp is an upgraded 717, i think u should read some reviews about those two and decide which one will probably be the best.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #15,685 of 19,143
A question about turntables.

I just came across this:

Is this one vintage? Sounds good at 900€?

On the other hand I have since long been coinsidering the Marantz TT-15S1 which is a new turntable but has been out for quite a long time now. It is made by ClearAudio and at it's price (about 1600€ I can get it for new) considered a really high value for money. It includes a clearaudio tonarm and a really good [COLOR=484848]Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood Ebony moving-magnet (MM) cartridge as well.[/COLOR]

If you like Thorens turntables, I'd look for a td 145. It's the same as a td 160, but it's semi-automatic, which means the tone arm will lift at the end of the side. It's nice to not have to jump up when the side is finished, or fall asleep and get the crap scared out of you by your expensive cart riding the run out groove and scraping the label

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #15,686 of 19,143
If you like Thorens turntables, I'd look for a td 145. It's the same as a td 160, but it's semi-automatic, which means the tone arm will lift at the end of the side. It's nice to not have to jump up when the side is finished, or fall asleep and get the crap scared out of you by your expensive cart riding the run out groove and scraping the label

Thanks for the tip SirMarc, semi automatic sounds like a great idea to me all the sudden!

I don't know if I like Thorens, I don't know much about turntables so recommendations are welcome.

For now the Marantz TT-15 S1 sounds great to me but I am also in love with an 80s Optonica since my father had that one and I have fond memories of it.
Here’s a link to one for sale: http://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649259168-optonica-rp7100h/
What do you think?

size]

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #15,687 of 19,143
  I once talked with a guy that got very serious vintage collection and his fav amp is an upgraded 717, i think u should read some reviews about those two and decide which one will probably be the best.

They both sound like serious pieces of kit in all honesty. The 717 has an isolated power supply but the 9500ii is dual mono and both have their merits. Both have designs that makes sense and both seem to have a really impressive sound. Power isn't much of a concern as I'm using it in a near-field setup at the moment though it would be nice to have extra on tap in case I ever decide to switch setups.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #15,689 of 19,143
Thanks for the tip SirMarc, semi automatic sounds like a great idea to me all the sudden!

I don't know if I like Thorens, I don't know much about turntables so recommendations are welcome.

For now the Marantz TT-15 S1 sounds great to me but I am also in love with an 80s Optonica since my father had that one and I have fond memories of it.
Here’s a link to one for sale: http://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649259168-optonica-rp7100h/
What do you think?

1173204-optonica-rp7100h.png

My father bought my td 145 in the mid seventies and gave it to me in the early eighties, it's never had an issue (knock on wood) other than a ground issue that I caused when I soldered new higher quality rca cables in. It's a pretty simple cicuit, so not much to break. The Optonica looks like it could be a nightmare to get repaired if something goes wrong. Also, my turntable guy, who sells megabuck turntables, told me I'd have to spend a couple grand to beat the old Thorens. I may be a little biased lol

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #15,690 of 19,143
  They both sound like serious pieces of kit in all honesty. The 717 has an isolated power supply but the 9500ii is dual mono and both have their merits. Both have designs that makes sense and both seem to have a really impressive sound. Power isn't much of a concern as I'm using it in a near-field setup at the moment though it would be nice to have extra on tap in case I ever decide to switch setups.

The 717 is duel mono as far as i know...

they both have enough power for a lot of speakers, the question is what amp will control your speaker drivers the best :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back