Calling All Recabled DT990 2005 Owners!
Jan 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 10
I know a person who worked at B&O for more than 15 years with cables. He said there was almost no difference between the stock cables and hi-fi cables. He said that the better quality with new premium cables just was theory. The sound become greater, but you cannot hear a difference.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a person who worked at B&O for more than 15 years with cables. He said there was almost no difference between the stock cables and hi-fi cables. He said that the better quality with new premium cables just was theory. The sound become greater, but you cannot hear a difference.

No threadcrapping please. This is not a cable believer vs. cable non-believer debate. I am interested in comments from those who have owned/heard extensively a recabled DT990.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 10
So, what you are saying is you are going to insist that re-cabling is going to do more than it does. Truly, the operative word is actually subtle (unless orig. cables are real crap - which is not true of your orig. Beyer cables). I'm sorry this news displeases you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 10
I've recabled both my DT990/250 and my DT990/600. With my 250 ohm, I felt that the sometimes harsh highs were tamed a bit. Made them sound more like my 600 ohm model. The main reason I recabled my 600 ohm was to shorten the cable length and terminate to a 4-pin XLR for balanced listening. The cabling was a bit tricky in that I used a quad cable (my fav - Mogami mini mic) and fed both drivers directly but kept the single side entry. I've done this a few times now and though it is extra work, I feel it is worth it.
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what you are saying is you are going to insist that re-cabling is going to do more than it does. Truly, the operative word is actually subtle (unless orig. cables are real crap - which is not true of your orig. Beyer cables). I'm sorry this news displeases you
smily_headphones1.gif

And just how did you get that from my posts? I am "going to insist that re-cabling is going to do more than it does"? I did no such thing. I simply want to hear from folks who HAVE had their DT990 recabled and what sonic changes they heard. As for news that displeases me...it's pretty much posts from people like you.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Although I have 990 pros I recabled mine with a Senn 650 cable I got from a fellow headfier. I did it to get rid of that coiled cable mostly. I feel the bass tightened up a bit but other than that they sound pretty much the same.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 10
i would like to get some feedbacks on recabled dt990s as well. i've been thinking about recabling mine(2005 250ohm version) with either mil-spec 26awg twisted pair silver-coated copper wire or 28gauge fine silver wires.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi warrior05
What Kind of recable you did for the 250 ohm vers., and what is the name of the cable that you used??
And what other improvement you hear (additional to the tamed highs)?. The mids changed (are forwarder now or in the neutral side) and the bass suffer after of the recable? if so, how?
Thank you for your answer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recabled both my DT990/250 and my DT990/600. With my 250 ohm, I felt that the sometimes harsh highs were tamed a bit. Made them sound more like my 600 ohm model. The main reason I recabled my 600 ohm was to shorten the cable length and terminate to a 4-pin XLR for balanced listening. The cabling was a bit tricky in that I used a quad cable (my fav - Mogami mini mic) and fed both drivers directly but kept the single side entry. I've done this a few times now and though it is extra work, I feel it is worth it.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back