Calling all Grado fans that have listened to audeze,or hi fi man!
Dec 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 46
if you love the rs-1 the ps1000 would be sort of a direct upgrade. the others are much different. i'd be worried to tell you if you love the grado sound to try something completely different without hearing it first. the problem with the ps1k is you really need to rest your head or lie down. they are too heavy with no neck support for most people. you will also need a serious solid state amp to hear them in their full glory. gs-x,apache,p1u or the likes.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 46
There is always something that one loses out on when one moves within a line.  Sometimes the loss is actually a gain of its own.  Then, any other gain is icing and cherries and all that.

Back in the day, the SR200s or 300s were beyond compare until the HP-1000s hit the market.  Then, the positives of the plastic models were augmented by the alloys, and other new positive attributes were also present making these cans legends if only within that lineage.

The same can be said going from the SR60s through the older RS-1s and then the PS-1 and GS-1000 and finally the PS-1000 before the 'improved' models hit and of course now the addition of the PS-500 which may well be the HF-2 with a bit of a different fit and finish.

Alessandros can be lumped into the above groups too.  Grados, perhaps more than any other series of headphones,  reproduce consistent qualities between models that, when superficially compared, provide with a familiar result: the house sound.  Despite the similarities, there are differences that, for some, are enough to keep shelling out cash for the benefits, sometimes only in the minutia.  Is this what you are after?

HD800s, HE-5s, HE-500s, HE-6s, T1s, R10s, SR007s, SR009s, LCD2s and 3s and so on, they all have their qualities, all of them do wonderfully well at reproducing sounds fed to them.  Some perform far more handsomely at reproducing the essence of music.  Of course, this isn't decidedly objective and hence the fun that are audio forums :D

Are you able to list, perhaps in certain specific yet distinct categories, areas you want improved upon, changed altogether slightly or radically?

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 46
Ps-1 (not to be confused with the ps1000) is basically the "perfect rs-1". It may very well be the best dynamic headphone ever made, good luck finding one though. 
The ps1k on the other hand is a total different animal, and I would classify it as a different "flavor" then a direct upgrade to the rs-1. Ditto on the gs-1000. The ps-500 (which I own) I would say is more of a side step to the rs-1 and ms-pro, and I would be more of a preference thing.

From other manufactures I think the hd800 reminds me the most of the grado sound. It's some what bright/airy/detailed. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #19 of 46
Having heard the PS-1 and having owned the RS-1, the PS-1 didn't impress me at all. I expected it to be the best grado and one of the best headphone's ever, I was very disappointed.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #20 of 46

I think that is a fair assessment.  The PS-1000s have a similarity within the Grado lineage but they do sound different than the RS-1s.  The original RS-1's may be
the best Grado for me as well as some others, though the PS-1000s are by and large my go-to headphones, and I own the PS-1's.  At one point, I had 4 sets of HP-1000's
and the PS-1's and the GS-1000's along with my trusty original RS-1's.  The HP-1000's were all sold off in favour of the RS-1's and PS-1's.  The GS-1000's offering something significantly different with respect to perspective and tone.

Would the PS-1000's offer one such an upgrade from the RS-1's as to warrant the expense?  I think it would be important for anyone throwing that kind of money down, to have a listen first.  For some, me included, it is/was and still would be if I had to do it all over again.  The PS-1000's get almost 100% of my home listening time.
Quote:
Ps-1 (not to be confused with the ps1000) is basically the "perfect rs-1". It may very well be the best dynamic headphone ever made, good luck finding one though. 
The ps1k on the other hand is a total different animal, and I would classify it as a different "flavor" then a direct upgrade to the rs-1. Ditto on the gs-1000. The ps-500 (which I own) I would say is more of a side step to the rs-1 and ms-pro, and I would be more of a preference thing.

From other manufactures I think the hd800 reminds me the most of the grado sound. It's some what bright/airy/detailed. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #21 of 46
Depends on what one is looking for I suppose.  Having had the SR007's, the R10's, the L3000's and the PS-1's all at the same time, I was astounded that I was not floored by the R10's in particular.  What was most telling was when local audiophiles, without any stake in the game, came to the same conclusion listening to my system.  Hence the true emphasis on hearing first, when possible, before buying.  I'd love a shot at the HE90's and the 009's but both I fear, would leave me very disappointed.  For that kind of money, speakers seem the better bet.
Quote:
Having heard the PS-1 and having owned the RS-1, the PS-1 didn't impress me at all. I expected it to be the best grado and one of the best headphone's ever, I was very disappointed.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 46
So true!

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 46
Depends on what one is looking for I suppose.  Having had the SR007's, the R10's, the L3000's and the PS-1's all at the same time, I was astounded that I was not floored by the R10's in particular.  What was most telling was when local audiophiles, without any stake in the game, came to the same conclusion listening to my system.  Hence the true emphasis on hearing first, when possible, before buying.  I'd love a shot at the HE90's and the 009's but both I fear, would leave me very disappointed.  For that kind of money, speakers seem the better bet.

HE90 on a great amp like the A-10 is the best headphone sound I've ever heard, and I've heard a few. I don't think I'll ever own that setup, but that would be it if I had my choice.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 46

Quote:

Zanth...welcome back dude! It's been a while.
smile.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #25 of 46
Thank you :)  It definitely has been a while.  Finishing up a pair of PhDs and raising two kids under 5 was brutal.  I'm more organized now that they are older and I'm working sorta normal hours.

Quote:
Quote:

Zanth...welcome back dude! It's been a while.
smile.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 46

Quote:
Thank you :)  It definitely has been a while.  Finishing up a pair of PhDs and raising two kids under 5 was brutal.  I'm more organized now that they are older and I'm working sorta normal hours.

Wow...2 Ph.Ds!

I dropped out of mine in second year because the poverty was just too much...back in the '90s NSERC and guaranteed funding wasn't what it is today.
confused.gif

Glad to have you back sir (we can always use more Canadians around here
smile.gif
).

Cheers

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 46
I'll take the ps-1 over rs-1, hp1000 or gs1000's. More energy than the hp1000's and more detailed and refined than the rs-1's, making them more consistently good across different types of music.

Biggie.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #29 of 46

Quote:
I need opinions from diehard grado fans.I currently have rs1,completly happy with them,but looking to possibly upgrade,My choices are lcd3,or hifiman he500,he6,or grado ps1000.I definitly still do love all there is to love about grado cans,the detail,bass slam,the sweet openess,and air,and of course the great midrange.As we cannot return any of the cans i am considering buying without heavy restocking fee i must make an accurate decision.So knowing what we know of grados,are there any grado fans out there that have converted to hifiman,or audeze,and yes the ps1000?What are the comparisons between the same?

owning a couple of grados myself and having heard their entire product line, this is what i have to say:

if you love the grado sound and want something truly amazing, get the ps1000.

that is the next headphone on my list. 

i had to buy the T1/LCD-2 because i wanted to own some of the other really nice headphones, but none has impressed me as much as the ps1000. even comparing it to the hd 800, the ps1000 still blew me away.... it was just too expensive for me, but as soon as i can find 1600 dollars or one for sale cheap, i will buy.

its just everything you could ever want out of a headphone. musical, good clean bass and deep extension not seen on other grados, dynamics, and a very overall fun and enjoyable sound. 

yeah i love the ps1000. i also liked the gs1000, but they where slower and much darker than the ps1000. 

the ps1000 is like an rs1 combined with a sr325 lol

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 46
A good price/performance Grado is the PS500. It's actually the only Grado I like and I've heard all of them except the RS series and HP. You can read my comments about it by clicking the link in my signature. Good performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back