Calling all Decware CSP & Taboo owners... sign up to roll the Team Decware Six Pack!
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
Fellow CSP and Taboo owners... here's the deal: Jazzerdave and I own a LOT of rectifier tubes and would like to share the wealth. Here's what I propose:

I'll box up a collection of rectifier tubes and designate it as the official "Team Decware Six Pack" (TDSP).

Here are the conditions:

1) Receive package
2) Roll tubes for a week (whee!)
3) Take notes and post a brief summary of your findings here (reference the other tubes & headphones used in your rig)
4) Sign the TDSP
5) Mail it to the next person on the list (USPS Priority Mail w/tracking & insurance).

So, for the cost of postage, you'll get a broad sample of some mighty fine rectifiers. Sound interesting? Reply to this thread if you'd like to participate.

Tube roster: Emission Labs 5U4G meshplate, USAF-596 w/conversion adapter, Bendix 6106, Valve Art cryo-treated 274b, RCA 5Y3GT, Philips 5R4GYS.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 36
This is cool, Nick. I own all but (No EML or Bendix yet) so I may just spring for them and have the set for myself. I'll spend some time getting my own comparisons on and add them to the list.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:
I will definitely want in on this action, but I am still a bit out from assembling my whole rig. Meaning, I don't need to be first in line.

Great idea!!!

We don't really have to ship anything to you since you live nearby, but I guess we could just put you at the end of the tour.  You could just hand off the tubes when you're finished.

So do we actually have anyone else on the list yet?

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 36
Been a little slow around here for the Easter weekend.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 36
Pssst... it's not an April Fool's joke. 
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 36
I received the Valve Art 274B last week and for a $13 tube it is a really nice presentation. I have about 30 hours on it and it is a good example of why I like Decware. You do not need to break the bank with exotic NOS tubes for great sound.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 36
If you'll have me, I'd like to join the party.  But, I'll leave the whether or not I quality or my thoughts would add any benefit up to you.   

For the most part I've moved to listening to speakers:  CSP2+ as pre to Torii MK III with Zu Superfly.   However, though the combo doesn't get much play time, my Taboo is set up with my HD800.  Before anyone jumps all over me again, I know not meant to be.  By the same token, I've always listened to the HD800 through the Taboo, and used the CSP2+ as a pre to the Taboo to listen to them.  Shrug, the sound suits me.   Taboo has a '50's RCA 12bh7 for input but the rest is stock.  (Trust me the Torii and CSP2 have had about everything rolled, CSP2 currently has a '55 Bendix 6106). 

I'd enjoy hearing all the tubes, but will also understand if you think HD800 through a Taboo is too esoteric a set up.  No harm, no foul in asking, right? 

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:
If you'll have me, I'd like to join the party.  But, I'll leave the whether or not I quality or my thoughts would add any benefit up to you.   

For the most part I've moved to listening to speakers:  CSP2+ as pre to Torii MK III with Zu Superfly.   However, though the combo doesn't get much play time, my Taboo is set up with my HD800.  Before anyone jumps all over me again, I know not meant to be.  By the same token, I've always listened to the HD800 through the Taboo, and used the CSP2+ as a pre to the Taboo to listen to them.  Shrug, the sound suits me.   Taboo has a '50's RCA 12bh7 for input but the rest is stock.  (Trust me the Torii and CSP2 have had about everything rolled, CSP2 currently has a '55 Bendix 6106). 

I'd enjoy hearing all the tubes, but will also understand if you think HD800 through a Taboo is too esoteric a set up.  No harm, no foul in asking, right? 

Well, it sounds fine to me.  If interest picks up, you'll probably have a Bendix 6106 in the package with which you'll already be familiar (more or less).  However, if we don't get a ton more interest or the rest of the sign-up list includes enough people with experience with the 6106, we can always swap in something different.  Welcome to the list!

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 36
Welcome to the list!

Awesome and thanks.  I'm looking forward to hearing the EML and 596 in particular.  I wish I had something to off if you decided to replace the 6106, but the only thing I have that's comparable are 73 Mullard GZ34s and they're in the Torri, and never coming out.  

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Awesome and thanks.  I'm looking forward to hearing the EML and 596 in particular.  I wish I had something to off if you decided to replace the 6106, but the only thing I have that's comparable are 73 Mullard GZ34s and they're in the Torri, and never coming out.  

I have a couple of those Mullards stashed in and for my ST-70.  I've tried them in my Taboo, but didn't feel they were the best match.  Now, in my speaker amp, that's a different story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back