CAL! vs. AKG K181DJ ? Opinions please.
Jul 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jaeden

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones that will "wow" me. I'm new to the world of "head-fi", and just recently bought a Cowon S9 (based on the fact it's deemed an audiophile's portable player).

After several hours of research, I came across the thread here reviewing 44 portable headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-44-portable-headphones-compared-sony-mdr-xb500-alessandro-ms1-added-07-08

The fact that the reviewer gave the Koss Portapro 6/10 for Sound Quality, has earned my trust. I was fooled into buying these because they were rated "5/5" for their price range. Frankly, the sound is "OK", 3/5, not 5/5. I could care less that they sound exceptional compared to everything else in that price range, that doesn't suddenly make them 5/5 for sound quality.

From the reviews, it seems the best 2 choices for me are the Creative Aurvana Live! and AKG K181DJ.

Creative Aurvana Live!

Build Quality (7/10)
Comfort (9.5/10)
Isolation (5.5/10)
Sound (8.5/10)
Value (9/10). (MSRP: $99.99, Street Price: $60)
Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response:10-30,000 Hz
Impedance:32 Ω
Sensitivity:103 dB SPL/1mW
Cord:3.94ft (1.2m) + 5ft (1.5m) extension; Straight Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism:N/A

AKG K181DJ

Build Quality (9/10)
Comfort (7/10)
Isolation (9.5/10)
Sound (8/10)
Value (7/10). (MSRP: $249, Street Price: $150)
Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response:5-30,000 Hz
Impedance:42 Ω
Sensitivity:120 dB SPL/1mW
Cord:5.9ft (1.8m), single-sided, detachable; Straight Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism:Flat-folding, collapsible

I like that the AKG 181DJ has 120 db sensitivity. This suggests to me it's going to able to produce transients well with its higher impedance, from a 29 mW/channel source. And still sound vibrant at lower volume levels. I also love the construction, look, and the sound quality is designed to fit my music selection (mostly dance/club, the rest is jazz and pop).

On the other hand there's the CAL! which is cheaper and seems to give slightly better sound quality. It also has lower impedance which means it will get louder than the AKG.

Am I correct to conclude that both of these have very similar sound quality? Is there something that differentiates these and that stands out, that should make me buy one over the other? (Besides price lol)

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 4
I read that the akg has too much of a boomy bass and is like a vise grip on ur head

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
i have both and the akg's are way better in every aspect except comfort
they have good build quality and come with a detachable single sided cable

Nice.

I spent another hour or so reading reviews elsewhere, and noticed quite a few mentioned these have High SPL. Which is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm beginning to see that monitor or reference headphones considered 10/10 sound quality are not what I'm looking for in bass response. Their bass response is like a 10" sub, perfect for sound quality, very fast, but still having decent low end SPL. I'm looking for headphones that are more along the lines of a 12" sub's bass response, as it's the best compromise between "perfect" sound, and great low end *SPL*.

I think it's settled, going to save up for the AKG K 181-DJ
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back