Cable Stiffness?
Sep 19, 2009 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
My PFE's have become unbearably microphonic because of how stiff the cable has become (and I mean REALLY microphonic, putting it under my shirt with a shirt clip and pushing up the black piece to my neck, and I can still hear rustling noises from just breathing)!

I guess oil made the cable hard over time? I'm getting new PFE's, but I have to wait until October. Until then, is there some sort of way to alleviate this problem? Anyway to make the cable more flexible and back to it's old self?

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 3
How much of the cable has become stiff?

I'm on my second pair of PFE after getting a replacement when my first pair developed cracks. With my second pair I haven't been using the silicone ear guides. A few inches of cable from the monitor is stiff but no damage yet. Even with a stiff cable, I still don't notice microphonic noise.

I don't know of any way to reverse the damage. I'd be afraid to experiment now but if the cable fails I might try before sending them back.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of the cable has become stiff?

I'm on my second pair of PFE after getting a replacement when my first pair developed cracks. With my second pair I haven't been using the silicone ear guides. A few inches of cable from the monitor is stiff but no damage yet. Even with a stiff cable, I still don't notice microphonic noise.

I don't know of any way to reverse the damage. I'd be afraid to experiment now but if the cable fails I might try before sending them back.

From the Y-Split to the earpieces themselves. I used them regularly, but not in a harsh way. I treated them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back