Cable recommendations for an extension cable
Sep 6, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to make some good headphone extension cables. Can anybody recommend a cable brand/model and where to get the cable? It needs to be a three or four wire cable, preferably well shielded.

I do not believe in the gains from really expensive cables so I am looking for something that is decent, but not $10/foot.

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm in the same boat. Anyone have suggestions?
Also I am in Canada, so source is a big deal for me (min orders for shipping - Partsexpress.com = $50; Markertek.com = $100)

My plan is to build a couple of 1 footers, a 3 footer and a 2-30 footer (debating the length needed)

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Try to find a local electronics store - no chains.

I was able to get a Neutrik female jack, a nice 1/4 male jack, and some really nice wire. It's called Conquest "USA-2." 2 core with strand insulation not foil, has a really nice rubber jacket, and cotton/some cloth like material in it as well. The wire cost 70 cents/foot. I was quite surprised by what the local store had.

I'm sure there must be some non chain electronics store in Toronto. Call around.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to find a local electronics store - no chains.

I was able to get a Neutrik female jack, a nice 1/4 male jack, and some really nice wire. It's called Conquest "USA-2." 2 core with strand insulation not foil, has a really nice rubber jacket, and cotton/some cloth like material in it as well. The wire cost 70 cents/foot. I was quite surprised by what the local store had.

I'm sure there must be some non chain electronics store in Toronto. Call around.

Sweet deal on your find odigg
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can find locally.

If anyone has other sources, please offer them up. As I'm totally up for different spec'ed cables.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 10
I am going to have to agree with Pars on this one. Redco is a nice site with great service. Some of the bigger guys like Markertek and Partsexpress can be a bit overbearing and confusing if you are not familiar with what you are ordering. Redco has a nice pictorial representation of all their products and are very competitively priced.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami 2534 cable:
Redco Audio

Neutrik connectors:

1/4" female:
Redco Audio

1/4" male
Redco Audio

You can of course pick other connectors. The Mogami cable is nice to work with and very reasonably priced. I like it better than the Canare starquad.

wow I even didn't know that Redco has that cheap Mogami
frown.gif

What a pity they don't stock Neutrik mini plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back