Cable purity
Aug 11, 2015 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MikuLover

100+ Head-Fier
Vitesse cable from null audio got me real interested, I mean they say they are 7N, 99.99999% purity if I'm not mistaken but how come other cable makers such as toxic and dhc doesn't publish the purity of their cables? And tbh I feel that it's rather suspicious, 7N silver really? Anyone has something to share about it?​
 ​
I'm really skeptical about it as... you know even van den hul doesn't openly publish the purity of their cable, I just feel that there needs to be some transparency.​
 ​
No, I'm not trying to attack anyone or any company here alright
Thanks 

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I totally agree with you about the need for transparency.

Unless they can provide the provenance of their cables and result certificates that clearly prove the purity of the metals used as stated... I'd be highly skeptical too.

If they refuse, then you know it's very likely to be a heap of ...

I think most other cable makers, as the ones you mentioned, don't publish the metal purity of their cable because probably they either don't know it, or don't bother about it.

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 12
  I totally agree with you about the need for transparency.

Unless they can provide the provenance of their cables and result certificates that clearly prove the purity of the metals used as stated... I'd be highly skeptical too.

If they refuse, then you know it's very likely to be a heap of ...

I think most other cable makers, as the ones you mentioned, don't publish the metal purity of their cable because probably they either don't know it, or don't bother about it.

Yea, you're pretty right and or maybe they don't want people to know about it. How I wish more people would push for more transparency.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 12
I've seen cables worth from $300-$1300 (Example: Toxic Cables to Tralucent Uber Cable).  

Do the cable upgrades really make that much of an impact on sound quality?
Does the cost match the benefits or are these cables overpriced?

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Heya,

There's really no real significance to tell you that something is 99% pure, versus 99.9999% pure in the real world in regards to audio. They're the same number in a sense, one is simply showing more significant digits. Sure, you can try to argue that the first number allows for 1% impurity, etc, but good luck having something absolutely pure. And since this is just a piece of metal allowing electrons to pass by, the difference is not only insignificant, it's just an avenue to use for advertising and marketing to seem different, when they're 99.99999% the same as every other cable, which is in all likely hood, on an order very close to a coat hanger.

For reference, I use silver cables.

Sounds the same as a cheap piece of copper.

If cable purity (beyond 99%) and element (copper, silver, gold) made such a difference, it would be measurable, and everyone would constantly be posting graphs and measurement analysis, etc, all over the place to prove it in every argument on the internet. We're all still waiting for that evidence.

The reality is, something sounding better is just a perception, and not a fact.

Very best,

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Seven "n" is purely a marketing gimmick as is any measurement beyond a hundredth (or thousandth for the gold Canadian Maple Leaf) of a percentage. Unless the measurement is done with a spectrascope in a vacuum in an absolute clean room or outer space, there is no way to tell whether contaminates in the testing environment effected the results beyond that. Also, current commercial metallurgy cannot process metals beyond 5N. Notice all precious metals sold on exchanges are only guaranteed to 99.99% or 99.999%. So if you see anything beyond five "n" chalk it up to snake oil salesmanship unless the seller can provide real third party testing (which would a miracle).

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Further, remember cable markers are so small that the ones "promising" 6N or more are never subject to Truth In Advertising laws unlike commercial sellers of bullion or coins. Commercial sellers would love to claim 6N or more as they could charge more per coin but without real proof they would be sued into oblivion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back