Cable outside and inside amp
Jan 16, 2003 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mwach

New Head-Fier
I am now finished my meta42 with crossfeed. sounds great.
I have read a lot about connecting-cables like cardas or equinox for about 200 $ each.
Inside the amp is ormal wire in use. Read nothing about silver wires or so.
I think there is something wrong, if i buy reference-cables for at least 200$-300$ and use normal thin wire inside.
Maybe i think in the wrong direction... ???

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by mwach
I am now finished my meta42 with crossfeed. sounds great.
I have read a lot about connecting-cables like cardas or equinox for about 200 $ each.
Inside the amp is ormal wire in use. Read nothing about silver wires or so.
I think there is something wrong, if i buy reference-cables for at least 200$-300$ and use normal thin wire inside.

Uh-oh
smily_headphones1.gif

Most would say that the reason interconnects are so thick is not because they are designed to carry large amounts of power (there's no point, since they carry only a line level signal) but for shielding purposes, to maintain the integrity of the signal.

Jan 17, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 16
This thread has me curious now too, would it have any affect on the sound if one opted to use silver wire inside the amp?
-Mag

Jan 18, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Using silver hookup wire might be better than the generic copper stuff, but what about the cheap copper tracing on PCBs?
eek.gif

Are you sure they are so "cheap?" Sure, they cost less than silver... but are they garbage for conducting electricity? I think not. They are probably quite good. For instance, my computer motherboard has copper tracings on it. They are designed so they conducted electricity in a highly contolled and sensitive manner. Well within certain tolerances to make sure that when my processor access something from the RAM it is a clean signal its gets. So I'll put my faith in engineering and say that the PCB in say my Corda HA-1 may have lower cost tracings but the engineering that went into them hopefully was not "cheap."

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JahJahBinks
I believe an amp is less complicated than a computer motherboard, therefore if a motherboard works with copper wiring, so should an amp.

Computers are binary devices. Amplifiers are not. Your analogy does not hold.

Jan 19, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 16

. Quote:

Computers are binary devices. Amplifiers are not. Your analogy does not hold.

Why? Both are "analog" devices in the end. It is sending high and low voltages in rapid succession. These represent 1 and 0s, but for all intents and purposes are only that because of the logic on the motherbaord. It is using transistors to amplify current and boost signal to other parts of the board. It needs to do these things within VERY tight electrical regulations. These requirements are far more restrictive than an audio amplifier. So if engineers can send these picky and specific signals across a motherboard using copper tracings, then sending a signal that can be "dirtier" like in an audio amplifier can't be a problem

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Actually he maybe right, because in there is noise margin in digital design so there 1s and 0s are produced at a variable range of voltages, whereas in analogy, machine noise cannot be disregarded.

Jan 19, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by mwach

I think you are thinking in the right direction.

Logic, and a bit of physics, tells me a few feet of conventional common or garden audio cable shrinks into insignificance when compare to the huge amount of cable used in the recording studio (which, I can assure you, doesn't cost even ten of dollars per foot).

Jan 20, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JahJahBinks
Actually he maybe right, because in there is noise margin in digital design so there 1s and 0s are produced at a variable range of voltages, whereas in analogy, machine noise cannot be disregarded.

Yes. There are only two signal states that need to be sent across a motherboard's traces: bit-level ones and zeroes. There's a much higher margin for error since only two states need to be reproduced.

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Yes. There are only two signal states that need to be sent across a motherboard's traces: bit-level ones and zeroes. There's a much higher margin for error since only two states need to be reproduced.

Not true, not only does a certain piece of logic need to send Voltages High and Voltages low, it also needs current to run the logic that sends a voltage high or voltage low. Also, what a logic gate considers high and low will be different for each component and not only that, you can go into your BIOS right now and change voltages for your memory and CPU V core to see just how variable voltages are on the motherboard. Notice there are a multitude of options. Why else would you have all that power regulation on a motherboard? Another example, each card has a certain power requirement, look at the Voodoo 5 6000, it needed its own external AC/DC converter, so this shows that a lot of current was needed by that card. So I have show examples on how both the voltages and current can be variable (and therefore resistance too). Now, think about this. A person can assemble an amplifier.... see too many people assembling motherboards? No, the engineering that must go into a motherboard is far beyond a single person's abilities (and physical tools). I don't think companies spend billions in manufacturing techniques and engineering because they just want to. I don't see such things going on in the audio industry.

Jan 22, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth
So I have show examples on how both the voltages and current can be variable (and therefore resistance too).

So far you have shown that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back