Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maii

Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm newbie here. I just recently interested in Headphone system. I have just purchased a set of these rig a month ago, Burson AB Buffer RCA>Black rhodium Coda> Burson HA 160D > Sennheiser HD800, Hifiman HE500

I used my yamaha CD S2000 as a source of sound with SACD format and CD WAV format and most of my listening is with these format(all mp3 or FLAC would have converted and burned into CD)

I really like HE500 with HE6 cable. The cable of HE6 brighten up the darkness of HE500 and I think IMHO it's a good combination.

I purchased HD800 recently in hoping it's sound stage and good cross feed. It's satisfied what I was purposed but It's lacked of low ended(lame) mid bass is tight(good) and treble is a little metallic(this is 100+ hours used) if not compared to HE500.

I am newbie and from what I did research HD800 is a very accurate Can and they produce a very low distortion. In this case I was not thinking of waiting for the real break in to get the bass benefit. In my little experience that the cable would help improved some of the weak point(individual purpose).

I am looking for the cable that help improved the low ended bass of HD800 and I find ALO is one of the reasonable price (also Cardas).

I had taking a look at their website they have six different types of HD800 cable and this made me confused. I am sure that
those different types of cable for HD800 would not be a big gap of different but if I have an opportunity to compare it next to each others. I would probably know what is the most character I would like.

If any guys here have had the experience of using ALO cable for HD800 and could explain me their characteristic it would be grateful for me. I am open for some other opinion because I have a ver small knowledge of this cable product(maybe Cardas is one of the good choice too)

I apologise if my english is not that much clear I don't use it much in my country and also apologise if this kind of thread is already done but because I could not find it.

Thank you in advance.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Why only ALO for cables? There are alot of other companies that provide the same if not better cables for less than them cables:cool:

Would you please recommend? I have no idea based on I have no shop herein my country sells those cable. The only chance to get to know them is from internet read some reviews and rely on their good or bad reputations. If anyone could help it would be grateful. I heard that cardas is good with price and SQ also APS V3 but based on zero experience in physical approached(only read on internet) this is very difficult. :D

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 9
First, I'd take a look around the Sound Science forum. Lots and lots of cable claims are made, but they don't hold up to tests.

I had aftermarket cables for my HD-600 and HD-650. They didn't change the actual frequency response. If bass is made better, then why doesn't it show up in a frequency response measurement? How could that be possible? If the bass gets audibly stronger, then why doesn't it show up as a stronger electrical signal? That doesn't make sense.

If you want better bass, try a graphic equalizer or an amp like the M^3 that has a variable bass boost control. Those actually work. You can measure them and show the bass increasing.

If you have to have a cable, build your own. If you price out the parts, you can get the same thing for $20-$50. Cryo isn't some expensive process, either. I can get handplane blades cryo'ed for $4. A cable should cost about the same. Don't shovel a few hundred dollars into someone's pocket for something you can build for under $50.

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
First, I'd take a look around the Sound Science forum. Lots and lots of cable claims are made, but they don't hold up to tests.
I had aftermarket cables for my HD-600 and HD-650. They didn't change the actual frequency response. If bass is made better, then why doesn't it show up in a frequency response measurement? How could that be possible? If the bass gets audibly stronger, then why doesn't it show up as a stronger electrical signal? That doesn't make sense.
If you want better bass, try a graphic equalizer or an amp like the M^3 that has a variable bass boost control. Those actually work. You can measure them and show the bass increasing.
If you have to have a cable, build your own. If you price out the parts, you can get the same thing for $20-$50. Cryo isn't some expensive process, either. I can get handplane blades cryo'ed for $4. A cable should cost about the same. Don't shovel a few hundred dollars into someone's pocket for something you can build for under $50.

Hi Uncle Exotic

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been following your comments in many threads here...I like it. You always given a strong logical reasons in your answers for example.... I have read somewhere one thread when you said about "break in" headphone is not effected any of the SQ it most depends on physical changed of for such pad, longer use, body involved...etc...and mostly concern with psychological adaptation which I really agree.

I have in my mind that one part of the physical changed in the sound system should concern with electric current signal.

I think what is the most effective with cable is not change the sound character but way to conduit current signal.

I am still hesitating to buy new cable until my rig kept influential current signal in their electrical system with break in process...I dont know if I am right but with my home system it works such what I do think lol myself(me and the machine are working through psychological development in the brain structure LOL) 

Thank you so much Uncle Exotic. I will protect my purse from now on. I do appreciate and full of respect with all your comments here.

Best

MAII

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 9
OMG  where did I get that such a big mistake on writing your name.....please accept my apologise "Uncle Erik"

-correct "Uncle Erik"

tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Im not big into cables and all, I tried a few, but if you need ever want a smaller one than ALO usually makes I know someone who stil has 2 cables 4 ft of the SXC 18 awg (silver looking one, made by ALO brand new blah blah). And it will be cheaper than the 6 ft, and if its all hype... at least it matches the headphone design. I want to trust in cables, but there is alot of controversy around them, but I know one thing for sure - I do not like the stock cable that comes with the 800's.

I have "large" cables 8ft, but the 4ft is so nice for portable and desktop usage, and you can save a hundred or so heh.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Im not big into cables and all, I tried a few, but if you need ever want a smaller one than ALO usually makes I know someone who stil has 2 cables 4 ft of the SXC 18 awg (silver looking one, made by ALO brand new blah blah). And it will be cheaper than the 6 ft, and if its all hype... at least it matches the headphone design. I want to trust in cables, but there is alot of controversy around them, but I know one thing for sure - I do not like the stock cable that comes with the 800's.

I have "large" cables 8ft, but the 4ft is so nice for portable and desktop usage, and you can save a hundred or so heh.

Hi Torontoraccoon! Thank you for your suggestion. Have you ever compare OCC 18 AWG and SXC 18 AWG. For the SXC with the combination of silver and copper would be great. I have another idea. I have stock cable of HE6(I used it for my old HE500) I will get HD800 connectors and try if it could get a benefit of HE6 stock cable. From what I did research the cable made by single crystal copper 24 AWG compare to 36AWG of HD800 stock cable. I believe it should deliver more fluent current signal and given more complete sound quality. I don't think I need more bass but I feel it's not that balance with a super clear treble and excellent mid-range so I think with a very clean current signal system and fine conductor. It would deliver what it is in its potential for more balance SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back