c421 vs O2 - home amp?
Dec 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #63 of 69
Quote:
I need other opinion about the comparison in term of performance between JDS Labs C421 against Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G. Which is a better amp to drive Beyerdynamic DT880, DT990?

Since you're using them with DT880 and DT990, you don't need a portable amp? Look at the new Schiit Magni, it should be awesome and run them very well.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #65 of 69
My question is: Has anyone attempted to put in another chip in the O2? Say a 2227, 2228, 8066, or otherwise? Someone may have already posed about this, so I apologize.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:
My question is: Has anyone attempted to put in another chip in the O2? Say a 2227, 2228, 8066, or otherwise? Someone may have already posed about this, so I apologize.

Of course it has been done before. But O2 is designed specifically with NE5532 in mind, so using another opamp might not actually make it better.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #67 of 69
Quote:
An O2 with similar bass boost to the C421 would be pretty awesome. You can't really compare them directly when using the bass boost of the C421.     
I still think the C421 is awesome due to its portability and USB charging. When I'm on the go, I listen to music off my iphone. I usually have the means to charge my Iphone while I travel and thus have the means to charge my C421 without bringing a big power adapter.

I still have both though and think they are a great combo.

Well, I am not an expert, but I've read on this site that,  in general, an AC powered amp is  better  than an USB powered amp in terms of sound quality.
(The electric power via USB port is more poluted than the AC power from the wall.)

Obviously, we assume that both ways are well implemented.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Well, I am not an expert, but I've read on this site that,  in general, an AC powered amp is  better  than an USB powered amp in terms of sound quality.
(The electric power via USB port is more poluted than the AC power from the wall.)

Obviously, we assume that both ways are well implemented.

AC vs. USB power is irrelevant when both circuits are properly implemented. Sound quality will be identical, unless the designer has failed to do his job. Yes, it's more difficult to build a clean USB power supply--not impossible. With a large battery and proper design, you can still crank out incredible power at ultra low ripple that doesn't even begin to impact the PSRR spec of the amplification circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back