C-2C Purchase Information and Questions in General with AKG K702
May 10, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dromios

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums and found you guys while researching my first semi-expensive headphone purchase.  I originally went with the HD 595's and HeadRoom Total BitHead.  I've probably put over 100 hours on each over the last week and a half and it's really making me rethink my decision.  I am sending back both the headphone and amp, although the K702 are getting here tomorrow so I might listen to them a bit with this bithead until I get my hands on the C-2C.

After lurking in the background reading these last few days about sound properties of different headphones and amps I think I've come to a sound conclusion.  I listen to a lot of acoustic music, and generally softer sounding music in generally.  I put a lot of emphasis on vocals in general, I never listen to metal or anything like that.  I opted for the AKG K702's with a C-2C desktop amp.  Unfortunately my source is going to have to suffer a little bit until I can afford a decent DAC, so for now it will probably be my iPhone 3gs on a Universal Dock with a line out.  All of my media is converted from FLAC to Apple Lossless, so I expect it to sound "decent".  I have a few questions maybe some of you more experience users will be able to help me with.

1. Will the iPhone Universal Dock's line out severely limit my listening experience with this combination?
  2. Where can I order the C-2C exactly?  I found the web page but can't a way to purchase.
  3. Have others with the AKG K702 / C-2C found that they were happy with the outcome?
  4. Has anyone tried the Audio-DG FUN?  How is the DAC and Amp compared to the C-2C?

I'm sure that with a little more research I could answer all of my own questions, but I am seriously burned.  I guess I just wanted to enter from the shadows as well and say hello, and thank you to those of you have helped the uneducated throughout this sites history, as it certainly helped me along my path.  

Doug

May 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 21
1. You'll be using the iPod's DAC. Not horrible, at least you'll have a decently amped headphone.
2. I'm no Audio GD expert, but it seems to me the C2C is an older model that has been replaced by the C2. 

May 10, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 21
C2 is the newest but he has a handful of C-2C's left (get the C2 though). You send an email to them with your address asking for a quote. They will respond and you send them payment via Paypal per their email address given (it's on the website as well).
C2 would be a great start and you can upgrade to a stand-alone DAC someday but with an iphone, it's a bit overkill. If that's all you'll ever use, I would suggest a decent portable amp.

May 10, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the quick responses.  The only reason I am looking at these models in particular is because they are well paired with the AKG K701, but I'm starting to thing that an iPod with lossless output will still be a bottleneck with this setup.  Has anyone played with the Audio-dg FUN, which has a standalone DAC/AMP?  If so:

1. Does it run well out of the box?
  2. Are there upgrades needed?
  3. What is the relative price for your recommendation?

I am starting to think that I made a bad decision with choosing the AKG K70x because of the superb AMP and signal that needs to power these cans.  If anyone has any suggestions about alternative headphones to the AKG K70x that are under 300 dollars I would appreciate it.  I was thinking a tube amp like the MK 3 might be a nice alternative to a SS like the C2 if I choose to use my iPhone as a source, as it may warm up and help the sound a bit.  Then again, I am sure that this depends on the cans it is paired with.  Thanks in advance.

Doug

May 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 21
The Matrix M Stage for 270.00 delivered will drive your 702 and you will not be disappointed. I also have the Little Dot Mk11 with upgraded tubes very similar to Mk111 and the Matrix is much better with my 701. It has brought those cans to a very high level and I cant imagine what else for the money would compete. Just my opinion.

May 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Frank, I was wondering where you ordered the Matrix from?  coolfungadget on this forum or through ebay?  Thanks for the recommendation as well it seems to be a thought out one.

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 21
No offense but for that money you could have a very good DAC and amp with the Fun. Get something that bypasses the DAC in the iphone to run optical to the Fun and you'll be very happy I would bet. If you enjoy the K701, keep it.

May 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 21
I guess the thing that's making me lean towards the M-Stage over the C-2 is simply the price.  From what I hear both complement the headphone's nature very well, especially with acoustic (my big thing).  I am just now looking at Audio-dg's DAC/AMP solutions the Spawwor and FUN and am trying to figure out if the Sparrow can really drive the k70x, or if the FUN (Version A) has a similar sound quality to the C2 (as I can find very little on the forums).  At this point I'm thinking I need to say that even if the C2 or M-Stage are better amps than the FUN, that the introduction of a USB DAC into the lineup to feed this setup will be better than the iPhone + (M-stage/C2).  I'm back to the boards, thank you guys so much for the quick and insightful responses/suggestions.  It is greatly appreciated.

Doug

May 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Frank, I was wondering where you ordered the Matrix from?  coolfungadget on this forum or through ebay?  Thanks for the recommendation as well it seems to be a thought out one.

Coolfungadget. You will have it in 6 days. Very reliable and does what he said he would do.

May 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
C2 is the newest but he has a handful of C-2C's left (get the C2 though). You send an email to them with your address asking for a quote. They will respond and you send them payment via Paypal per their email address given (it's on the website as well).
C2 would be a great start and you can upgrade to a stand-alone DAC someday but with an iphone, it's a bit overkill. If that's all you'll ever use, I would suggest a decent portable amp.

What's the main differences between the C2 and C-2C, especially driving the K701s? The biggest difference I can find is that the C-2C doesn't have ACSS, which doesn't matter anyway for non Audio-GD DACs anyway.

May 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
What's the main differences between the C2 and C-2C, especially driving the K701s? The biggest difference I can find is that the C-2C doesn't have ACSS, which doesn't matter anyway for non Audio-GD DACs anyway.

At the very least, you will have the latest from Audio-gd which helps future resale value. ACSS is on both units but the C2 allows input from another ACSS sourced component (think ahead, you'll upgrade most likely). C2 has a gain switch and changeable modules to tailor the sound to your liking. All of these are easily worth the extra $50.

Aslo- you can ask Kingwa to add XLR inputs for your Dacmagic.

May 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 21
It would only seem natural, if you want to get a discrete (and probably Audio GD) DAC in the future, to get the C2. If you don't want to spend on a discrete DAC, then get the Fun. 

May 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 21
God, i'm burnt the hell out, continuing to do some research and finishing finals while I wait for the 702's to get in tomorrow afternoon.  I don't think in the near future I'm going to have enough money to get a good stand-alone DAC to power the C2/M-Stage and I'm coming to the conclusion that the iPhone dock out (even modified) may be a hefty bottleneck.  It seems like I may go with a combo like the Audio-DG FUN or Matrix mini-x until I have more money to spend in the future.  Anybody need any drums :)  Has anyone used either a FUN or Mini-x with a pair of 702's from a USB source?  If so I'm interested in hearing your opinions as I have not been able to find much on the forums or internet.  Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not I should just use an iPhone Universal Dock as a source for the C2/M-Stage, or will it be worth it to go with a combo like the FUN/Mini-x.  Sorry if I'm being a bit repetitive, while I have been getting great responses I'm still a little iffy on which would be better in this situation.  Thanks.

Doug

May 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 21
I have a Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp with a USB DAC for sale. It is about 2 weeks old. Im asking for $995 + shipping. It retails for $1500 brand new. The amp is in PERFECT working condition. It has a very light scratch on the top (barely visible). Everything works fine. It will come with the origianl box and manual.

Contact me at sberamji@gmail.com if you would like to buy the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back