Buzzing HD650
Jul 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

googlephone

100+ Head-Fier
My headphones are buzzing on the right side. This only occurs with certain songs. The rest of the time they sound great. I've tried swapping left and right on the cables and the buzzing stays on the right. I've even swapped out different headphone cables and the buzz is still there. So looks like I have a bad driver on the right side. I'm assuming the buzzing only occurs with certain frequencies.

Anyhow, I guess I can replace the driver, but will I need to replace both? I've read that they are matched from the factory so not sure if they will be matched if I just replace one. Does anyone know if Sennheiser will sell a matched pair?

Looking for advice and experience from anyone who has dealt with this before.

thx

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 10
Most probably there is a hair/dirt on the driver. Try taking the ear pads off and remove the foam covering the diaphragm. Try blowing on the diaphragm to see if it goes away. I still think it's a dirty driver.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I tried blowing with my mouth and still hear some buzzing. Is compressed air recommended? I don't want to damage them further.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 10
You can use compressed air, but hold it about a foot a away and only a quick/brief blast of air into it.

You could always just blow from the back of the driver housing as well.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 10
So should I blow both sides of the driver? Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 10
if you blow from the back it may just make the dust blow out, but you can try it from both.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Recently one of the drivers on my cousin HD580 went out and he just order two new drivers from them for about 60 I think but just give them a call. From a comparison stand point just for grinds I compared the new driver to the old driver their was only a slight difference in sound depth but overall very similar in sound.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Well I lightly put compressed air on them and so far so good. We'll see if it lasts. Trying to remember which songs seemed to have the worst buzzing. Damn memory.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Best of luck to you then. I hope it'll resolve itself.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by googlephone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I lightly put compressed air on them and so far so good. We'll see if it lasts. Trying to remember which songs seemed to have the worst buzzing. Damn memory.

Sounds like a hair to me. Note that compressed air can move the hair around, and the buzzing goes away, and then eventually the hair finds its way back to the driver again, and the buzzing starts up again. If that happens, you know it's a hair. Anyway, I've had this happen three or four times over the years with various phones, and the best thing to do is to take the phones apart to the extent that you can extract the hair manually. Usually you only have to take off the pads or maybe some phone covering the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back