buying xbox now, too late or good time?
Apr 13, 2005 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
i have been thinking of buying a new game system, i guess the whole psp thing sparked my interest again. i always liked playing games and the prospect of being able to play online with a console like the xbox is a plus imo. but, with all the talk of a new xbox coming soon, would it be stupid to buy the existing system now, or would this be the perfect time because of the relatively low price?

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 30
I always like to be a step behind the technology. Buying the Xbox now, IMO, is a good choice. It's at a low price, and you can get most of the better Xbox games at cheaper prices, too. Waiting for the Xbox 2 will cost you premium price (and the whole sold as a "bundle" BS), with premium price tags on the new games, while you could wait out the initial hoopla by enjoying the Xbox and a library of good, cheap games.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 30
If you want to buy a new xbox console, you better buy it now. It looks like M$ don't manufacture them anymore. Buy.com & Amazon.com have no stock. I got mine from Bestbuy last week. I'm planning to get it modded and add 250g hard drive, should be able to hold more than 70 games
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 30
Buying an xbox now versus waiting is really an opinion call. I would personnally prefer to wait seven months for xbox 2 or for the current xbox to be marked down alot for Thanksgiving, but now is still a pretty good time to buy one. There are alot of good games that are coming out soon and that are already out and in Microsoafts' Greatest Hits collection for only twenty dollars.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
so how about the online playing, is that a pain in the ass to set up, with some expensive hardware to buy?

Have never used it for online play, so I don't know for sure, but I know a few friends who seem to think online play is a novelty at best.

RYCet has the best idea. Grab an Xbox while you can, and upgrade the HD. A simple modding and you can install the games. It will more than ride you through the wave of Xbox 2 craziness, and by the time you look to upgrade (which will happen), the Xbox 2 might be at it's first price dip point, and will have plenty of game support.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 30
xbox live is great... and depending on your network setup should be painless..

if your TV and xbox are near your router you can go wired or you could get some type of wireless to ethernet bridge (or "gaming adapter") and do wireless which is what i do

xbox live fees are $6 a month or $50 for a year... xbox live kits come in $70 (headset, one full game, one year of xbox live) and $40 (headset, demo disc, 3 months of xbox live) versions

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
i have been thinking of buying a new game system, i guess the whole psp thing sparked my interest again. i always liked playing games and the prospect of being able to play online with a console like the xbox is a plus imo. but, with all the talk of a new xbox coming soon, would it be stupid to buy the existing system now, or would this be the perfect time because of the relatively low price?

Is the new xbox that much a vast improvement over the new Xbox? I hope they make the controllers more user friendly. Do you have any interest in PS2? or is it just solely the xbox you are interested in? The xbox had the potential and looked promising but for some reason it never had the support that the sony PS2 established, a shame really.

BTW Can u add me to your team Venom Spewer. I don't know what that means but I'll sign up anyway!!!!

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 30
i think that there is no point in getting xbox now. i heard that xbox2 lounch party is going to be on May 12 on MTV.... may be true, may be not. i would wait for new xbox.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 30
Depends how important playing online is to you. As a general rule, consumer fetishism convinces people that the latest and greatest will necessarily lead to more fun and more enjoyment--consequently, X-Box livers playing original X-box games will drop dramatically.

If you don't mind a smaller crowd and not playing online, now is a great time to buy--cheaper console, and cheap greatest hits games.

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Man, you guys asre bugging, the xbox 2 is not coming out just yet, and there is still plenty of development for the current xbox.
There is a shortage, it cannot be substaniated that this is caused by xbox2 aroudn the corne ror something, it's speculation at best.

I dug this up

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+confir...3-5629023.html

Damn, I wish I read that news before freaking out and buying through best buy.
redface.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 30
The X-box 360 will be unveiled on May 12 on MTV. If you can wait till then, you'll have a lot more info to go on.

Current speculation is that it will be available by Thanksgiving for $299. I'd hope that the May 12 unveiling will let us know whether or not that's accurate.

Current shortages are caused by Microsoft slashing production on the old model in order to clear out the retail channels. They don't want people picking up a discounted X-box rather than upgrading to the newer, more expensive model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back