Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #436 of 5,364

I'd consider the Vmoda M80's too. Great sounding and good looking, to boot. Your friends will be jealous...especially when they listen to them.
Quote:
Hey guys, Im looking for some on or over ear headphones, I'm in college so they need to be light and not too bulky.
I quite like the look of AKG's range after trying a pair of k520's that my Dad has.
I know Im new but I need advice after seeing all my friends buy those Beats, which in my opinion are way overpriced for how they sound unless Im talking out of my ass of course haha.
Im just looking for something that will do a decent job at a wide range of music, everything from stuff like Nirvana all the way the way to wiz khalifa.
I have up to £120 (about $190) to spend on something decent.
Can you guys also keep it relatively simple for me in terms of technicalities, although I have done some research into headphones most if not all could run circles around me haha

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #437 of 5,364

Quote:
Audio Technica Es7
Portable, Yet able to be used with a desktop system.
Extremely high aesthetic/ beauty value.
Clean detailed and overall balanced sound with slight emphasis on treble.
Easy to adjust to comfortable wear, and replaceable pads.
Just my two cents.

Thanks man, just checked those out, they look pretty sweet :) also if it helps I would prefer if they had a detachable auxiliary like the shure srh 440, where you can take the wire out, thanks for responding so quick. Much appreciated

I find the cable to be extremely resilient, and they even tangle less than their bigger wooden brothers, the esw9. No worries about them detaching or wearing out anytime soon.
Btw, forgot to mention. These go for around 80 dollars on the street or ebay, so quite a good price for the sound. Did I mention how beautiful the mirror finish on the cups look?
You can also look at ultrasone offerings since they provide cable detaching, but they're more for at home usage due to how big they are.
For me, coming from so many headphones, I'm happy with the es7 at the end of the day for all the things they do right.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #439 of 5,364
How big is the difference between the re-zero/re0 and triple fi 10s? 

I can definitely answer this, since I've brought both on a cruise to the Caribbean.
The re-zero unfortunately is 1/3 of the enjoyment of the tf-10. They are very closed sounding andflat iems. Bass response and extension is lack-luster imo. Not bad mind you, just nowhere near in terms of quantity or punch compared to the tf-10.
There's no question here, the tf-10 has a magical signature with a noticeable improvement over the re-zero from my experience.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #441 of 5,364
Do you know how much of an upgrade from the monster turbines to the re0 is? Because I have a pair of monster turbines, but the broke, so I need to get a new pair of IEMS, that's why I am asking. 

You'lll be disappointed if you're coming from the turbines, I have a feeling I know which sound signature you prefer if you enjoyed the turbines.

I have a few questions to ask though before making assumptions and recommendations based on those.

What music genres and what source [Ipod, laptop, etc.] do you prefer?
How much money are you looking to put in as a safe-proof against future upgrades? Basically how much will you comfortably spend on a long-term iem?
Do you seek isolation from outside noise and will you be using these outdoors?
Considering you did break the last pair.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #442 of 5,364
this is mainly for my brother, but I know the info:
Music genre: Rock and subgenres of rock, I'll ask him and update this in a second
Source: Creative Zen (I don't have an amp)
Looking to spend: $100
Some isolation yes, but I don't think it'll be that important
Use: Everywhere, home and on the go. 

Thanks again guys.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #443 of 5,364
this is mainly for my brother, but I know the info:
Music genre: Rock and subgenres of rock, I'll ask him and update this in a second
Source: Creative Zen (I don't have an amp)
Looking to spend: $100
Some isolation yes, but I don't think it'll be that important
Use: Everywhere, home and on the go. 

Thanks again guys.

Any particular preferences in terms of separation of frequencies? Aka the bass, human vocals, highs.
Would he be more interested in a crystal clear iem with unrivaled guitar string reproduction or the solid impactful kick of the drums?
To put it simply, would he want more of a general consumer oriented V-shaped iem or a more neutral, flat, and acurate one?

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #444 of 5,364
Btw pm me if you want personal consultation :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #446 of 5,364

Quote:
anyone have experience with SONY IEM's ?  bass heavy around 100 or under?

Are those separate questions? Some of the higher-end Sony Monitor IEMs like the EX600 or EX1000s have pretty good reputations around here, and tend to have a neutral-ish sound. They have some bassy IEMs that are somewhat less well-regarded. As far as bassy goes, a common recommendation is the Atrio MG7 with a 50% off coupon.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #447 of 5,364
I was looking into the sony ex310 but not sure if they would satisfy my bass needs, can anyone comment if the 60 bucks for these are worth it?

wish i could get the atrio mg7 but i'm using an amazon gift card so can't use the 50% off :[

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #448 of 5,364

Quote:
I was looking into the sony ex310 but not sure if they would satisfy my bass needs, can anyone comment if the 60 bucks for these are worth it?

wish i could get the atrio mg7 but i'm using an amazon gift card so can't use the 50% off :[

Maybe check ljokerl's review thread for more bassy IEMs, but I think he mentions the idAmerica Spark, Soundmagic E10, DUNU Trident, and MEE SP51 as decent choices. All are on Amazon.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #449 of 5,364

Quote:

I've owned MDR-EX310, depends how much bass you want? They have enough for me and I own Hippo VB which are bass cannons. MDR-EX310's aren't to far behind in that department, certainly aren't lacking in bass. Well worth the $60 imo. If you want deep deep sub bass you could always op for Hippo VB clones MEElectronics SP51-BK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back