Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #166 of 5,364

Quote:
Can anyone recommend something that has excellent isolation, sounds good for the money and is pretty cheap? I really like cheap... 

Well most earphones from etymotic isolates very well, the hf5 cost around $100 now in amazon, and is claimed to isolate 35-42 dB, or you can get the mc5 even cheaper, $60 I guess, but of course they won't sound as nice as the hf5. 

The hf5 have a cold sound from what I've read, and are very accurate, though they might get uncomfortable since they go in your ears quite deep, or you can use the shure olives instead of the stock triple flanges for better comfort.

I'm actually choosing between the hf5 and the westone 1... XD 

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #167 of 5,364
Been using MEElectronics M6P all along the way now, thinking of upgrading. Satisfied with the bass it gives but not too much of the clarity. I'm having a budget of $80 but still might stretch it if there's a worthy IEM for the price.

Basically what I wanted is: Decent clarity with some emphasis on the vocal, possibly just some more bass than M6, comfortable to be used for several hours. Also, hope it's a nice-looking model too. Thanks much!

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #168 of 5,364
Quote:

I own a pair of a-Jays 4, which is the same as the 3 except the 4 have a mic but without all the accessories, and I don't think they have really good clarity or detail, though its acceptable. I don't know what is your standard for good bass since some people just want more quantity, and some are looking for better quality, and the 4 have quite a large amount of bass but its a bit bloated.

I think the a-Jays 4 is the same as the a-Jays 1 actually!  I've listened to 1, 2 and 3 and I liked 2 and 3.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #169 of 5,364
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #170 of 5,364

Quote:
I think the a-Jays 4 is the same as the a-Jays 1 actually!  I've listened to 1, 2 and 3 and I liked 2 and 3.

Really? But the specs (FR, Sensitivity) increases as the number increases, and I've just checked the specs of the 4, 3 and 2, and the specs of the 4 is actually in between the 2 and 3... I guess its affected by the mic or something so the specs are a bit lower than the 3
confused.gif

And also Jays have also released a new product called a-Jays one+, which is a-Jays one with a mic for smartphones, so it is very unlikely that the 4 are actually the same as the 1 except for the mic...

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #171 of 5,364
     Quote:
Really? But the specs (FR, Sensitivity) increases as the number increases, and I've just checked the specs of the 4, 3 and 2, and the specs of the 4 is actually in between the 2 and 3... I guess its affected by the mic or something so the specs are a bit lower than the 3
confused.gif

http://jays.se

a-Jays 4
Type 8.6 mm Dynamic Speaker
Sensitivity 96dB @ 1kHz
Impedance 16 Ohm @ 1kHz
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 21 000 Hz

a-Jays 1
Type 8.6 mm Dynamic Speaker
Sensitivity 95dB @ 1kHz
Impedance 16 Ohm @ 1kHz
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 18 000 Hz

a-Jays 2
Type 8.6 mm Custom Speaker
Sensitivity 96dB @ 1kHz
Impedance 16 Ohm @ 1kHz
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 000 Hz

a-Jays 3
Type 8.6 mm TCD Speaker
Sensitivity 97dB @ 1kHz
Impedance 16 Ohm @ 1kHz
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 22 000 Hz

Frequency extension is usually fictional, for sales purposes.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #172 of 5,364

Quote:
  Frequency extension is usually fictional, for sales purposes.

Can't it be the same for the speaker?...

Also that as the number increases the sound quality(and the look, accessories) increases, so the 4 shouldn't be worse than the 3.

Here is another site that states that the 3 are the same as the 4 but without the mic: http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/jays-a-jays-four-in-ears-review.html

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #173 of 5,364

Quote:
What would be a pair of IEM under $300 with the following:

1. Crystal clear mids, for vocals
2. No bass (I EQ bass out of my music)
3. Large soundstage
4. Cold signature

This is a tough call. The EX1000 may not be too bad of an option. Also a used or non-authorized GR10 (since they're cheaper  in the grey market). Not a massive soundstage but they would be perfect besides that! They are the clearest iems I've heard.

Quote:
Hi, I work part-time as a commercial cleaner and I work with loud vaccuums every day. I've decided I'd like to get something to protect my ears, while also catching up on my music library at work. Ideally I'd like an in-ear phone that isolates well enough to protect my ears from moderately loud noises while being comfortable, decent sounding, and very well priced. I'm actually used to expensive ($350) headphones and fancy studio monitor speakers, so I may have an issue with the sound quality since I'm not willing to invest much in these, but I'd like to get a good bang-for-the-buck inexpensive pair.

Can anyone recommend something that has excellent isolation, sounds good for the money and is pretty cheap? I really like cheap... 

Second the recommendation for the HF5 but you may not like its microphonics. I can't think of a better $100 iem, even if its not perfect; maybe you can get a used pair of triple.fi 10...

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #174 of 5,364
Quote:
Can't it be the same for the speaker?...

Also that as the number increases the sound quality(and the look, accessories) increases, so the 4 shouldn't be worse than the 3.

Here is another site that states that the 3 are the same as the 4 but without the mic: http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/jays-a-jays-four-in-ears-review.html

Hmmmmmm perhaps send an email to Jays. =p

Their site says the Three and Four are using different speakers (driver).

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #175 of 5,364
Hi new to the forum. Have always used skull candy in ear headphones. They seem to last about 2 months, than the wire craps out. Looking to buy a better pair. Will be using it on my galaxy nexus as my ipod died. I listen to mainly hip hop / rap. But do enjoy rock and classics, and oldies once in a while. Looking to spend $150 tops. What would you guys suggest? I use it while commuting, and at the gym and jogging.

Thanks

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #176 of 5,364

Quote:
Asking for full-size/portable recommendations based on IEM preference:
Hi guys,
I'm considering a pair of closed circum-aural or super-aural headphones for use at work -- closed only because I don't want to piss off my cube neighbors with excessive sound leak. Have you heard any that sound similar to the RE-262? I would like to get close to matching the SQ, FR, detail, and overall presentation of the RE-262 for under $500, in the $200-$300 range if possible. Do such headphones exist? Something that meets these requirements with a bit more bass quantity (to neutral levels) that sounds a touch less warm would hit a grand slam for me...
You don't have to give me just one answer, 2 or 3 recommendations would help me narrow down my list of a dozen+ portable/full-size headphones in that price range that aren't known to be bass-heavy.
Thanks everyone!
biggrin.gif

Off-Topic:
Good link for people like me who don't know subjective audio terms by heart: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Hmm... I don't think I've heard any full sized cans compared to the RE262s, but someone in another thread asked the opposite question about his Audio-Technica ESW9s, and people recommended the RE-262s, so maybe those are worth a shot. Also, it might be worth your while to post in ljokerl's thread, as he's heard the RE262s and a lot of portable cans besides.

Quote:
Hey everyone, i am looking for a good pair of IEM's for under $100 that are really good for movies and have a similar sound to the AUDIO-Technica ATH m50 with no muddiness or overpowering bass, i am considering the Brainwavz M2 or M4 but does anyone know any that are better than those for under $100 for movies or does anyone have an opinion on those 2?

TBH, the M4 don't really sound like the M50s, as they have more subbass emphasis, which probably rules them out. No idea about the M2s, however. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any IEM I've heard that reminds me of the M50s, though many have a similar v-shaped sound signature. Maybe ask ljokerl?

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser HD485s and Phillips HP910s. I prefer the sound and comfort (velvet pads <3) of the HP910s. Since I don't have a great vocabulary for these things, I'll cite someone else's description of their sound: "all of the frequencies are adequately represented. The bass is rolled off, the mids shine true, and the highs bright." So that is the kind of sound that I would prefer. I like to be able to hear deep bass frequencies but I don't like it to be exaggerated or boomy. They HP910s also seem to have more soundstage and the separation of different instrument is better. The HD485s in contrast sound a bit too much like my memory of the Grado SR60s, very "flat" sound, no soundstage, somewhat fatiguing.
I listen to a wide range of music, but if the cans were to sound especially good with certain types of music they should be techno/electronica/downtempo/ambient.

So here's what I'm looking for:
Budget: ~$100
Comfort: Very important, I listen for long periods (~6-8 hours at a time)
Size: Ideally portable (I travel for 3/4ths of the year), note that I consider the HD485s to be portable
Sound: Big soundstage

So far I have been considering:
Audio-Techncia ATH-ES7
Fischer Audio FA-004/Incipico nx104
AKG K518 LE (afraid they might be too bassy)
Panasonic RP-HT770 / Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Would any of these cans actually be an upgrade from what I have now? Am I missing an obvious choice?

Thanks!

Perhaps you should include the Creative Aurvana Lives and Koss DJ100s, both of which have very good reputations as sub-$100 headphones, and are reasonably portable. The CAL is a bit v-shaped, while the Koss DJ100 is a bit more neutral (from what I've heard). Also, the AKG K518s will tend to clamp a bit, and are fairly bassy. The AD700s on the other end of the spectrum might be too bass-light. Also, are you planning on using these out and about, or just at the office and at home? Open cans like the AD700 won't fair too well outside, as noise leaks in a lot

Hi,

Like mrpbrown (mrpbrown) I'm looking for some new IEMs. For the past few years, I've been using Sony MDR-EX75/6s. Over the past few weeks, a dodgy connection where the (J-style, asymmetrical) cable splits has left the right 'phone pretty unreliable. I'm looking to upgrade and have narrowed my options to the Soundmagic PL-21s or MEElectronics' M11+s. My budget is <£30.

Having perused ljokerl's massive multi-IEM review I suspect the M11+s are more suited to my musical tastes - most of the time I'm listening to D&B, though it would be good to know that they'd work well for the occasional rock album.

While narrowing down my options, I considered the M6s, but as I'm used to it, I'd rather have the choice of leaving the cable hanging down rather than always being over-the-ear.

I have to confess that the primary reason I'm considering the PL-21s is aesthetics: leaving this aside, would you guys say that the price premium for the M11+s is worth it?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

P.S. They'll be used un-amped with my iPod (touch) and 2007 iMac.

At least going by ljokerl's reviews, it seems like you can do better than the PL21 and M11+ for $30. The PL10 and DUNU Trident, for example, both score a lot higher sound-quality wise, and are also bass-oriented models for around $35. I'd give those a look first

Quote:
After some further research i took a deeper look at V-MODA's M-80. While they may not be a top notch choice (i never thought i could go "top notch" anyway with my fairly low budget) for rock music, it seems like - at least that's what i took from all the reviews i read - they are a solid jack-of-all-trades choice with a little downside on the trebles whereas to be honest i am not quite sure if my hearing is advanced enough (yet) to hear minor flaws. Also, their manufacturing style made me drool a bit when i first saw it. I lost my last two headphones due to broken cables and therefore i like the idea of getting very solid cables that are even removable, plus there is the very flexible body and the included exoskeleton bag. Overall, the M-80 seem very pleasing in terms of style and craftsmanship whilst having a way better sound experience than other "stylish" headphones like Beats or Ludacris.

Amazon currently has a 170 $ deal on them with free shipping, so i feel like i can extended my original budget just a bit and get a good pair of headphones to start my journey into the world of a better audio experience. Any thoughts on that?

The M80s have gotten a lot of rave reviews, and have been dropping in price over the last couple weeks. I think they would be a very nice place to start your journey.

Quote:

Hello! Im new to this forums and I've read many threads on the comparison of earphones. But I need help to just zoom down to these  earphones:
aJays 2, aJays 3, UE 500, UE 500vi, UE 500vm, UE 600 and UE 600vi
Can I Ask whats the difference between:
aJays 2, aJays 3
and the difference between
UE 500, 500vi and 500vm
and the difference between
UE 600 and UE 600vi
Could someone give me a brief comparison between those?
Im looking for good bass earphones which still have good clarity and detail the sound, price range around 100 sgd, and I've singled out these cos they look naise :O

Look forward to replies :D

I've only heard the UE500s, and sometimes they feel a little thin in comparison to my other IEMs, though they are pretty competent. Also, they (and UEs in general, it seems) have some durability issues with the cable.

Quote:
Hi, I work part-time as a commercial cleaner and I work with loud vaccuums every day. I've decided I'd like to get something to protect my ears, while also catching up on my music library at work. Ideally I'd like an in-ear phone that isolates well enough to protect my ears from moderately loud noises while being comfortable, decent sounding, and very well priced. I'm actually used to expensive ($350) headphones and fancy studio monitor speakers, so I may have an issue with the sound quality since I'm not willing to invest much in these, but I'd like to get a good bang-for-the-buck inexpensive pair.

Maybe the Westone 1s over the Etymotics if comfort is a priority and you don't like deep-fitting IEMs.

Quote:
Been using MEElectronics M6P all along the way now, thinking of upgrading. Satisfied with the bass it gives but not too much of the clarity. I'm having a budget of $80 but still might stretch it if there's a worthy IEM for the price.

Basically what I wanted is: Decent clarity with some emphasis on the vocal, possibly just some more bass than M6, comfortable to be used for several hours. Also, hope it's a nice-looking model too. Thanks much!

Not to be too passive, but have you checked out ljokerl's IEM review thread? He has really useful comparative reviews that might give you a sense of what you want. Also, you can ask him for suggestions directly.

Quote:
Hi new to the forum. Have always used skull candy in ear headphones. They seem to last about 2 months, than the wire craps out. Looking to buy a better pair. Will be using it on my galaxy nexus as my ipod died. I listen to mainly hip hop / rap. But do enjoy rock and classics, and oldies once in a while. Looking to spend $150 tops. What would you guys suggest? I use it while commuting, and at the gym and jogging.

Thanks

Look into the Atrio MG7 and JVC FXT90 to start out, and broaden your search from there. Also, any specifics on sound preferences?

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #177 of 5,364
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n for your really helpful reply :) I can't any info on Head-Fi about the PL10s - could anyone link me? Thanks :) I'll certainly consider the DUNU Tridents too.

I've found the Brainwavz M2 for a very reasonable price - these seem to be recommended often - should I jump on this chance to get them at a relatively low price?

Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #178 of 5,364

Quote:
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n for your really helpful reply :) I can't any info on Head-Fi about the PL10s - could anyone link me? Thanks :) I'll certainly consider the DUNU Tridents too.

I've found the Brainwavz M2 for a very reasonable price - these seem to be recommended often - should I jump on this chance to get them at a relatively low price?

Thanks again.

My bad, I meant the E10s. Info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-227-iems-compared-sony-xba-4sl-klipsch-x10-added-03-04-12

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #179 of 5,364

Which IEM do you suggest after using Audio Technica CKS70

Hey guys,

Around 3 years i am using the Audio Technica cks70 iem. And i am very happy with its sound.

But now i want to use a better iem and waiting for your valuable suggestions...

Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back