Buying my first audiophile phones
May 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Nibor

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I have been looking around the net for some new headphones. But the tests that i could find did not specify what kind of music the phones worked best with. I listen to music like Mew, Deftones, Lamb of god, isis, jamiroquai, tool, thrice, the fall of troy, mars volta,steely dan, john mayer, prodigy, opeth and death cab for cutie. I'v been looking at Grado GS 1000i, Sennheiser HD650, AKG 701, Denon AH-D5000 and the audio technica ath-w5000. Which of these headphones would be best suted for me and my music taste or is there other cans that would suit me better? I currently own a Little Dot MkIII headphone amp, Grado SR 60 and Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm phones.

Any help/recommendations would be much apprechiated.

May 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 26
I'm new to the headphone shenanigans and am also curious, own an MK III, listen to the same music so im about in the same boat as you. (except my daily headphones are shure se-110) so as you can see, i desperately need some new cans.

May 31, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 26
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

How do you like your music to sound? Otherwise you can buy everything until you find your perfect headphone, please be specific...

May 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 26
Thanks for the welcome :)

I would like my music to sound "Living and fun" bringing out the details. I think the beyers are a bit cloudy for my taste and im looking for something more open and with wider soundstage. I want a firm and solid basspunch, more prominent mids that the beyers give, and a clear top but not the sharp one that kills your ears when the singer makes "S" sounds.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 26
AKG? I have an AKG K240 DF which does what you describe you are looking for. The bass is well extended but sounds more subtle yet there is ample of bass, my ears!

The better AKGs could work. Otherwise the Beyerdynamic DT250 and Audio Technica M50 are worth auditioning. Just some suggestion, good luck...

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:

I would like my music to sound "Living and fun"
Steer clear of the HD650, then. The 650 has even more of the Sennheiser veil than the HD600. Not that they're bad headphones, by any means (my HD580, which are basically HD600 by another name, are probably my favorite headphones), but I probably wouldn't describe it as "living", and definitely "fun" wouldn't be the word that comes to mind (maybe "analytical").
bringing out the details. I think the beyers are a bit cloudy for my taste and im looking for something more open and with wider soundstage. I want a firm and solid basspunch, more prominent mids that the beyers give,
If you're looking for mids, the Grados will certainly give it to you, with a sacrifice of soundstage. Old Yamaha orthos also have sinfully delicious mids, but they also have somewhat restricted soundstage, and require a pretty powerful amp. I also don't know if "fun" and "bringing out the details" might not work against each other...Grados are incredibly fun, but you can't hear the trees for the forest sometime. Still, Grado SR225s might be something to look into (it's the sweet spot in the Grado range--they're still open, but have a somewhat restricted soundstage, have great mids, and are very, very fun).
and a clear top but not the sharp one that kills your ears when the singer makes "S" sounds.

That's sibilance you're hearing--you might try driver-modding your SR60s to see if you like it, or maybe Alessandro MS1s (which are very similar to the Grados, but more laid back) might give you the mids you want without the harsh highs.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks for all the feedback :) I'm leaning towards the grados at this point. Considering the RS 325is. But is the 100$ step up from the RS 225i worth it? I'm going to see if i can audition som AKG's at a local retailer. Maybe that will change my mind. I do love the RS60 but they are a bit to "Clouded". Atleast that's the word that comes to mind.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:

I would like my music to sound "Living and fun" bringing out the details. I think the beyers are a bit cloudy for my taste and im looking for something more open and with wider soundstage. I want a firm and solid basspunch, more prominent mids that the beyers give, and a clear top but not the sharp one that kills your ears when the singer makes "S" sounds.

For a 'firm' basspunch and prominent mids I'd stay away from D5000, as I find the bass to be a bit sloppy, though not nearly as sloppy as DT770-80 and the mids a bit lacking, though they do have great soundstage.  AKG have very little bass from my experience.  Grado SR225 have decent bass, but I do find the highs to be a bit sharp.  Not at all painful and piercing like the DT770-80 mind you.  I've read that the SR325 have even sharper highs than SR225 and many people dislike them for that reason so they might work as well for your needs.  My wooden Grados (HF-1) on the other hand have very clear, smooth and extended highs and very nice, solid bass.  They're very lively, fun and detailed as well.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 26
If you have a Guitar center near you, give the Audio-Technica M50 a listen, you may be surprised how well they perform for the money (on eBay for about $100 new). Also from my understanding the Ultrasone HFI 780 has a punchy bottom end and very detailed highs (similar to the M50, but more refined)another exceptional bang for the buck headphone which you can find on eBay for around $160 - $200 new. The down fall of each of these is that they don't have much of a soundstage to speak of.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:

Maybe Alessandro MS Pro? it's definitely give amazing midrange, smooth, detail + fun sounding. 

But I think DT770/80 still has more bass than MS Pro...

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 26
I had the Grado HF-2 that would probably be what you're looking for. I used them with the jumbo pads mostly and the soundstage really opens up. The bass is really punchy and I really liked the mids with the jumbos although some think they recessed the mids. I think they balanced them out. Lively is certainly something they are.

The 325is is, to me, way too peircing. I think they are the worst of all the Grados. IMHO the 225(i) is a better headphone.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 26
The 225i are very sparkly, very nice and indeed piercing at times.  Screaming guitars are a no no for the 225i if you are listening at a nice volume.  I listen to a lot of Marco Sfogli and Guthrie Govan on the 225i and I just cant bare it most of the time.  Immensely uncomfortable.  Stay away from them if you can.

May I suggest something else that is totally unexpected?  The Sennheiser Hd485.  Discontinued but it is my absolute favorite set ever.  For rock and metal, its got everything.  Smooth mids and good highs, a deep and rich bass but it can get a tad muddy and scratchy on super bass tracks or moments in the song, and a half decent soundstage. IMMENSELY COMFORTABLE and a DETACHABLE cable that is easily replaced with one of your choosing.   Most people seem to enjoy a warm flavor and tone to their rock and metal, am I right to assume you would like that as well?  A colored experience that is not neutral but not overly exaggerated but still warm and fuzzy? For rock you dont need a good soundstage, and after 20 years of busting my butt trying to find the best audio experience, I find for metal and rock that the 485 is just what I always wanted.

There is no point in having a super wide soundstage for rock and metal, especially steely dan and those you mentioned.  You want impact, warm tone and a velvety experience that is both comfortable and affordable.  highly recommend you try it, its an immensely underrated headphone.   

The key here good sir is to start small and work your way up.  After sampling and using damn near every set sub $300 that you can name, I've come to realize my favorite for rocking out is still the Hd485 and the Hd 600.  

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 26
Thanks for the help guys :)

I think that a pair of Sennheiser HD485 might get dropped in my mailbox shortly. I hope that these will cover my rocking out needs. But when i want to sit down and really listen to the music. Would the HD 650 be a good choice for music like Sigur ros, Andy McKee and Olafur arnalds? Or is there other phones that would do this job better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back