Buying FiiO FD3Pro for its cable? - A Review for FiiO FD3/FD3 Pro
Aug 12, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 26
Ok, I'm changing my tune. I did get the Pro version but my old ears need the treble nozzle. Completely opened up everything for me. These are now well balanced and have the best bass slam of any IEM I own or have owed. (See my sig). They pair REALLY well with the Cayin R01 as does the Isa. R2R and DD must be a thing....

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 26
That is the beauty of having options. FD3 gives two distinct options depending on how you want them to sound and even more so when you pair the right cables and sources to go with them tuning options. Glad that worked out for you. If you find the treble just a bit edgy sounding you can use them included foams and it smooths out a touch of the upper treble notes. Yet another way to fine tune that sound for you. Try this and that to get that sound right for you.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 26
Thanks. Also ordered the Aladdin and the Mix cable you recommended. You're killing me!! :ksc75smile:

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #19 of 26
A short compare with the Oriolus Isabellae:
FD3 is more resolving, bass is deeper and actually has more texture. With the right setup these things are amazingly resolving and really good bass. No bloat, no bleed. Details are exceptional.
Where the Isa trumps the FD3 is in timbre, the lifelikeness of the sound. More organic, less digital. Sweeter. But, less detail.
But for $140 the FD3 is a total bargain. I'll keep them. Fit and finish is excellent. They fit my ears really well and for certain types of music these things hammer!

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #20 of 26
A short compare with the Oriolus Isabellae:
FD3 is more resolving, bass is deeper and actually has more texture. With the right setup these things are amazingly resolving and really good bass. No bloat, no bleed. Details are exceptional.
Where the Isa trumps the FD3 is in timbre, the lifelikeness of the sound. More organic, less digital. Sweeter. But, less detail.
But for $140 the FD3 is a total bargain. I'll keep them. Fit and finish is excellent. They fit my ears really well and for certain types of music these things hammer!
High praise!

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 26
That is the beauty of having options. FD3 gives two distinct options depending on how you want them to sound and even more so when you pair the right cables and sources to go with them tuning options. Glad that worked out for you. If you find the treble just a bit edgy sounding you can use them included foams and it smooths out a touch of the upper treble notes. Yet another way to fine tune that sound for you. Try this and that to get that sound right for you.
hey bro. Do you think i should buy 2nd FD5 or brand new FD3 Pro ?

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 26
I posted this on the other FD3 introduction thread. I will leave it here too.

I can see what Fiio did here with the FD3 and the pro version. The pro version is worth getting because of this cable. It is a very highly resolving cable they threw on the pro version for a reason. The sonics of the FD3 easily approaches the FD5 using this cable. It is the first time I can say I actually like the synergy of their monocrystalline silver plated 8 core cable and a Fiio earphone. The FD3 comes with two interchangeable nozzles. One that is more balanced for western and euro enthusiast base and the another nozzle to enhance trebles for their Asian enthusiast base. I like the tuning filers on the FD3 more so than the one included on the FD5. My review set has the balanced filter installed as well as a monocrystalline copper cable which was a great throw in.

If you already own the FD5 or the FH5s and you want to get a FD3. You can just get the FD3 the non pro verison as you already own the cable they are throwing on the Pro version. To be specific it is the cables that comes with the FD5 the FH5s is the 4 cored version. Or if you feel you just want the pro package.

So what does the pro cable do for the FD3? Definitely enhances detail of the sound. Compared to the copper cables. The upgraded pro cable is silver plated on an already highly resolving copper cable. If you guys seen some of the higher end cables in the industry that use UPOCC or ultra pure copper cables. Monocrystalline copper is very similar in what it does vs your garden variety copper cables..

I noticed a slight increase of stage presence with a uptick in clarity, better treble presence and it enhances detail of the base FD3 sound. The copper gives the FD3 more of a slight warmer tone but by no means is the detail lacking using this cable. Folks that are sensitive to trebles will do better with the non pro version and just use this copper cables.. It would have been better if the copper cable here was also modular but that would have cost more. As a throw in it is certainly a good copper cable.

It is surprising that these earphones are priced at where they are as it is clearly modeled after the FD5 and in some ways is designed a little better. Just because it is a lower numbered model don't mean it is a lesser sounding unit. Your certainly getting a great value here and I will have much more to say on my review I am working on. But for now any of you guys wanting to try a new Fiio product. These are not only at an aggressive price but these scream value in so many ways. Completely worth getting a set imo.
that's really interesting what you've said in comparison to the fd5 sonically. I kinda discarded the fd3 pro early on as i was looking for something new at a higher price point to my normal £150 or less ceiling. I do love the look of the fd3 pro. I'm going to guess the fd5 is the more technical and detailed of the two from reading... but gives me something to think about.

I know you love your cables... for me to this day, the cable on the fiio fd1 is the best in my collection. It's cleaned up and improved sound in quite a few of my earphones, especially those slightly muddy.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 26
FD5 from recent sales is a great price for a set and it does have a higher resolve due to the upgraded driver implementation. Both are tuned very similarly but the FD3pro is still arguably the better value of the two earphones. FD5 has a bit more in the way of dynamics and has the upper hand in sound stage with an increase of details. It will be up to you which one to get. Both are a good deal for their prices. FD5 so happens to be on sale and I know some folks ended up buying them again .

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 26
FD5 from recent sales is a great price for a set and it does have a higher resolve due to the upgraded driver implementation. Both are tuned very similarly but the FD3pro is still arguably the better value of the two earphones. FD5 has a bit more in the way of dynamics and has the upper hand in sound stage with an increase of details. It will be up to you which one to get. Both are a good deal for their prices. FD5 so happens to be on sale and I know some folks ended up buying them again .
thanks. not on sale in uk sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back