Buying AKG K240DF. Or not.
Mar 30, 2008 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
In my search for a NOS AKG K240DF, I came across this page at ornec.com.

After doing a fair bit of checking, especially here at Head-Fi, it looks like this company (and all the related companies under different names) gets quite a lot of negative feedback. Of course that makes me very skeptical.

I'd like to ask if anyone here has actually ordered these headphones from this outfit, or if there would seem to be any obvious warning signs, including the authenticity of the headphones themselves, whether or not they're actually new (well, NOS), etc. I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering, why are these Austrian headphones shipping from China?

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 19
For new old stock? That's what I'm after.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 19
You want old stock on a headphone they stopped making at least 10 years ago?

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 19
I've bought 5 NOS headphones from the 90s and eBay had the NOS Magnavox stat from the 70s a couple of weeks ago. I don't know of the Magnavox were really NOS, but I bought 2 NOS AT cans and 3 NOS MB Quarts.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, but, it's not like you can just snap your fingers and have them appear. Unless you want to pay over a hundred euros.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 19
True. Where I got my QP85, they had a NOS K240M and K240DF. I think the DF was about $85. I bought the Quart instead and am very happy I did. I'm currently looking for a vintage one because I don't want to pay that much. I actually don't seem to want to pay what the vintage ones are going for now either.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering, why are these Austrian headphones shipping from China?

Did I miss something ? The company is registered in Oxford, UK.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I miss something ? The company is registered in Oxford, UK.

And they're prices are in Euros which seems pretty strange for a UK company
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they're prices are in Euros which seems pretty strange for a UK company
confused.gif

Not as strange as it used to be actually, we are part of Europe
wink.gif

Having said that, I found this:

link

in which they were accused of cloning a well known monitor design and selling it under their own brand name, so who knows ? maybe the OP didn't disclose all his research findings.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my search for a NOS AKG K240DF, I came across this page at ornec.com.

After doing a fair bit of checking, especially here at Head-Fi, it looks like this company (and all the related companies under different names) gets quite a lot of negative feedback. Of course that makes me very skeptical.

I'd like to ask if anyone here has actually ordered these headphones from this outfit, or if there would seem to be any obvious warning signs, including the authenticity of the headphones themselves, whether or not they're actually new (well, NOS), etc. I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering, why are these Austrian headphones shipping from China?

I ordered a set of the 240DFs from them last October. Other than a confirmation notice on their site that the funds had been received, there was no communication from them at all. I e-mailed them several times without any response and ended up disputing the charges. I'd suggest that you find another source for the phones. Good luck.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a set of the 240DFs from them last October. Other than a confirmation notice on their site that the funds had been received, there was no communication from them at all. I e-mailed them several times without any response and ended up disputing the charges. I'd suggest that you find another source for the phones. Good luck.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I will run the other way. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but, it's not like you can just snap your fingers and have them appear. Unless you want to pay over a hundred euros.

I guess I'm the only one who can do this then...? I've never tried with a K240DF specifically, but it's worked pretty reliably for other AKGs.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want old stock on a headphone they stopped making at least 10 years ago?

Yeah, I suppose so. I have not been into collecting vintage AKGs or any other headphones for that matter, but I could swear that in reading various recent AKG catalogs, there was still a sort of fine print reference to being able to continue ordering a couple of different studio headphones in the 600 Ohm version. So, while I did not know the official "end of life" date of the K240DF, I did find it plausible enough to think that these were either overstocked to begin with as the newer lower impedance models replaced them, or still possibly in production under the old model number(s).

My post was more about the validity of the product being sold on ornec.com. If it didn't appear that there was any NOS remaining, I wouldn't have brought the subject up.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm the only one who can do this then...? I've never tried with a K240DF specifically, but it's worked pretty reliably for other AKGs.

Right. There is a K280 Parabolic up on ebay at the moment described as NIB. The box looks "used," but the headphone pictures seem to show an unused piece of gear.

I don't like old used stuff as general rule. While it might save some money, when you think of ordering replacement ear pads and other worn out parts for these old headphones, it isn't cheap in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back