buying a new sound card today: advice?
Jul 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

raisedbywolves

100+ Head-Fier
i'm building a new computer and ordering parts today.
my initial thoughts are to get the asus xonar essence st, but reports of the card sounding aggressive and fatiguing on the high end worry me a little bit.
i prefer my treble as unfatiguing as possible ... i usually prefer a sound signature that's overall on the warmer side versus overly cold and clinical, tight, punchy bass versus boomy, and slightly forward mids with treble that rolls off just a little bit.
it seems from my reading that the auzentech bravura has a slightly warmer sound signature overall, and that the onkyo 200se is quite good out of the box in that aspect as well; however, i kind of find both the cards on the ugly side, haha. superficial a little bit, and i could deal with the bravura despite those green capacitors ... but the onkyo's a different story.

anyway, should i go with the st and just switch opamps? i have no clue where to start with all that, but i figure it'll be worth learning anyway. hope i can get some help on this decision. thanks, everyone.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 4
I've looked at many cards in that price range and I can safely say, without a doubt. You won't find a better card than the essence ST. Honestly, I challenge anyone to find one. Even with the stock opamps it's delicious. The onkyo cards do look good, but they seem a fair bit more expensive and more difficult to find.

I'm sure the bravura is a good card too though and I'm almost certain it has better drivers, but if you want to base it off RMAA results the essence is considerably better.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah, i'm just worried about the stock sound signature, but i guess i'll never know until i try. if i buy it and the treble bugs me, i can always replace the opamps, and if not, i suppose i'll be in for a treat regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back