Burson V5-i Hybrid Opamp Impressions
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
As a long-time collector, tester and builder of opamp DIY modules, I was approached by Burson Audio for the purpose of conducting an evaluation and unbiased review of their newest hybrid opamp, the V5-i. I readily agreed as this would be an interesting and informative project, hopefully resulting in useful information for those individuals who enjoy "rolling" opamps in their audio gear.

My initial plan was to conduct side-by-side comparisons with several portable sources, including my iBasso D12 Dac/Amp, PB2 balanced amp and the bespoke Revamp Nuansa P1 multi-bit player, however I don't yet have an adequate V5-i supply so further comparisons will be added as I acquire additional devices.

I conducted my initial testing with the D12 and P1 as both require a single dual-channel opamp. I do have a number of lossless test files that I use for subjective listening evaluations when testing different opamp configurations. These files include a binaural thunderstorm (recorded live) for bass/sub-bass, piano and violin selections for accuracy of timbre, male and female vocals and applause for soundstage realism.

I should state at the outset that any evaluation of opamps cannot be accurately defined without considering the influence of all circuit components in the device, accuracy of source devices and files, speakers or headphones and, arguably the most important, the auditory physiology of the individual conducting the listening evaluations. As has been stated repeatedly, each individual will have differing perceptions and preferences of audio quality, hence there can never be an absolute "best" defined by either measurement or audible testing.

When researching opamps that might be suitable for use in audio applications, three of my most important considerations are:

1. Supply voltage requirements
2. Squarewave response
3. Quiescent current (if used in portable applications)

I should also mention that the opamp requirements for audio use are considerably less demanding than for most industrial applications, hence one should not hesitate to consider devices that are not specifically marketed for audio use. As a result, the audio differences between opamps can be quite subtle and often not apparent with lesser quality equipment or sources.

Below are some of the IEM's that I used for my V5-i listening, including the Periodic Be, CA Orion and Flares Pro. Not shown is my over-ear AQ Nighthawk.

Also shown are the D12 and P1 which were to be my initial two comparisons.

BursonTest2.jpg

BursonTestPhones1.jpg

BursonTestP1.jpg

I began by inserting the Burson into the dual R/L DIP socket on the D12 and fired up one of my favorite test files, only to discover that any volume setting above a modest level resulted in noticeable clipping. My mistake! I forgot to confirm the V5-i specifications. I had forgotten that the minimum supply voltage is 10 vdc. Given that the D12 supply voltage is only 3.7 vdc, it was no wonder that the Burson failed to deliver the expected results .
The 10 volt minimum supply voltage will preclude using the V5-i in many portable devices that are powered by a single 3.7 volt lithium cell as is the case with a number of portable amps and players. As the price of the V5-i is considerably higher than most commonly used audio opamps, confirming adequate supply voltage of your target device is essential!

I then swapped the Burson from the D12 to my Nuansa P1 (which has a 10 vdc power supply.) While available space in the P1 is limited, the V5-i fit albeit very snugly, however it was necessary for me to trim the leads by about .7 mm in order to provide adequate clearance for the top cover. The V5-i is very slightly taller than a DIP socket with a DIP style opamp inserted. The results using the specified source voltage were a night and day difference! While the P1 is a superb performer with many of my preferred dual-channel opamps, the Burson immediately impressed me with its realistic voicing and instrument placing.

Attempting to describe the sound of the V5-i is rather difficult due to the fact that it seems not to have a sound of its own. It is neither bassy, bright, veiled or any of the other descriptions typically used to describe a particular sound. Rather it is a transparent conduit between your music sources, playing device and your phones or speakers. Although the specifications are fairly similar to other well-regarded opamps, neither specifications nor measurements can adequately describe such characteristics as instrumental and vocal timbre, realistic imaging and believable soundstaging. These intangible, unmeasureable factors are where, IMO, the Burson is a standout and a worthy addition for those seeking a very lifelike musical picture that portrays an uncanny sense of realism. When installed in my P1, I heard no sibilance or other audible artifacts, no spikes or inaccuracies across the audio spectrum and no audible distortion regardless of which phones I was using.

Given its sonic attributes and lifetime warranty, and with due consideration given to dimensions and voltage requirements, I can recommend the V5-i as a most worthy addition for any audio gear that is designed for opamp "rolling"

I would like to thank Carlos at Burson Audio for the opportunity to audition this fine device and look forward to making additional equipment comparisons in the near future!

Ron Kerlin
"Hiflight"

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 3
I just got these in my M-Stage HPA 2C and it's hands down the best opamp I have tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back