Burson HA-160 vs Headamp GS-1 (HD650)
Oct 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Agree. Hard to say. I am recently enjoying the HA-160 sound. However, what keeps bugging me is the big volume gap of the stepped attenuator. It has nothing to do with the sound quality, but sometimes very uncomfortable.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 8
I've read other grumblings about the stepped attenuator on the Burson as well. Hmmm, so some feel the GS-1 is better by a good margin. I read about the Burson being designed with the HD650 in mind. I wonder if strictly talking about the HD650, the two maybe are not that far apart.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Agree. Hard to say. I am recently enjoying the HA-160 sound. However, what keeps bugging me is the big volume gap of the stepped attenuator. It has nothing to do with the sound quality, but sometimes very uncomfortable.

Do you have an early version of the HA-160? I guess I'm accustomed to it maybe but I don't share that situation.

Quote:
I've read other grumblings about the stepped attenuator on the Burson as well. Hmmm, so some feel the GS-1 is better by a good margin. I read about the Burson being designed with the HD650 in mind. I wonder if strictly talking about the HD650, the two maybe are not that far apart.

The grumblings were all from people who had early versions with faulty pots. I see this mentioned still as a caveat to people who are looking at this amp and it's unfortunate that this misinformation exists.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have an early version of the HA-160? I guess I'm accustomed to it maybe but I don't share that situation.

Nope, I have the latest version. What I said was not about some issue in early HA-160s. I meant relatively big volume gap between clicks. However, I like the sound this amp produces and that is more important part. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 8
It´s the drawback with stepped attenuators it seems. I had similar prolem with the GHP with my low impedance headphones. I changed gain when I sent it in for upgrade and voila much more steps available. Shipping from Australia seem to take an eternity can´t wait to try it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back