Burson HA-160 / D / DS amp and LCD2
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

djevoultion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi

I'm curious about the Burson HA160 series amp for my LCD2r1 (50ohm). 

I noticed on the specs page it is listed as max 250ohm output into unknown ohms. 

I inquired into it with Burson and they informed me the Burson will output 100mw into 50 ohms, this seems a little low and I asked them to explain how it would be sufficient for the LCD2.  I was told it was because the amp was designed in Class A and fully discrete circuit, there would be plenty of current to drive the LCD2.  

Is there any merit to that claim? I have read before on these forums that Audeze recommends at least 1W for the LCD2. 

Advice is appreciated 

Thanks in advance. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 11
If any current owners of the combo, could input their opinions, I would really appreciate it!

Cheers

I did own this combo and already posted my thoughts in the other thread where you asked the same question.

EDIT: Well, actually, I had the LCD2.2 with the HA160, but it shouldn't be that much different. Although I could be wrong, having never heard the LCD2.1.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Did not like the 160D combo with my older LCD-2 rev.1's. Lacking too much control and focus from what I remember. 

Probably a better idea to look at their Soloist/SL/Conductor line with LCD-2's in particular.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I did own this combo and already posted my thoughts in the other thread where you asked the same question.

EDIT: Well, actually, I had the LCD2.2 with the HA160, but it shouldn't be that much different. Although I could be wrong, having never heard the LCD2.1.

I must of missed your post on the other amp thread. 

Thanks to the both of you for your input. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Did not like the 160D combo with my older LCD-2 rev.1's. Lacking too much control and focus from what I remember. 

Probably a better idea to look at their Soloist/SL/Conductor line with LCD-2's in particular.

When you say lacking control and focus, are you referring to the bass in particular or the overall sound?  

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I must of missed your post on the other amp thread. 

Thanks to the both of you for your input. 

This was what I posted over in the other thread...

"Although there are better sounding amps for the LCD2, not to worry, the HA160 will drive the LCD2 just fine. If the HA160 is one of the only options available to you, go ahead and pick one up, I don't think you will be disappointed.

That said, maybe the new Soloist SL would be a better option. It will have more power and likely sound better as well. Plus, I think the cost is roughly equivalent."

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
This was what I posted over in the other thread...

"Although there are better sounding amps for the LCD2, not to worry, the HA160 will drive the LCD2 just fine. If the HA160 is one of the only options available to you, go ahead and pick one up, I don't think you will be disappointed.

The classic HA-160 was a fine sounding amp with the audez'e, indeed some folks loved that combination. But now you can do better with the musicians series. 
It outperforms the previous line. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

The classic HA-160 was a fine sounding amp with the audez'e, indeed some folks loved that combination. But now you can do better with the musicians series. 
It outperforms the previous line. 

That's basically what I said in the lower half of the quote that you left out.

But, that wasn't even the op's original question to begin with. The question was whether or not the HA160 supplies enough current to sufficiently drive the LCD2, to which I replied that it does. Obviously, the Soloist is the better amp, as it should be when you consider the better specs and higher cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back