Burn-in
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

autoteleology

Formerly known as Tus-Chan
When burning in a pair of headphones:

• Is it better to constantly play music through the drivers, or to give the phones occasional breaks?
  • Does it matter what is played through the drivers during burn-in?
  • Does volume make a difference in the burn-in process?
  • etc?

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think it really matters. Quality headphones are designed for decades of use, I doubt even a few hundred hours of constant use would hurt them at all, at least as long as the volume isn't at max with an amp. :p

Personally, I don't think so, really, all music is just movements of the driver. I've heard people say that if you use the kind of music you listen to, it will "adapt" those qualities, but I don't believe that. What I would try to do, though, is use music that uses as much of the spectrum as possible, the super highs and super lows (some people just use sweeping noise). Doing that won't affect the qualities of the headphones after burn-in, but it is possible that it could speed up burn-in a *little* bit.

Volume does a little, because when you think of it, it is doing the same thing, but harder. Kind of like running in a new pair of shoes instead of walking to break them in. Though I wouldn't go too high, just maybe a little louder than you would normally listen to. Headphones are meant to be played somewhere around the (fairly vast) range of listenable volumes. They are not designed to be at max volume on your gigantic desktop amp. :wink:

I'm sure those with more experience and knowledge will expand on and critique my answers, so be sure to read as many opinions as you can, they'll all follow a similar curve, and the average is probably closest to the truth.

Also, don't let burn-in be a reason to not use your headphones. It's always good to use them and see how they change as they burn-in.

Enjoy your new headphones. :)

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 3
All headphones have to be burned in for at least 200'000 hours by playing Frank Zappa albums at the maximum volume your amp is capable of. If you do not do this, they will sound worse than $2 earbuds.

Also remember that your headphones need regular exercise, fresh air, and a healthy diet while burning in.

... on a more serious note: don't waste time by playing pink noise or whatever through your headphones. Wear them and listen to music. Most of the "burn-in" takes place between your ears, not in the headphones. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back