Burn-in myth
Jan 23, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #91 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one is forcing you to read this thread, and it's uncalled for to continue leaving useless posts about where the topic belongs. These comments do nothing to help this discussion or the forum, so it's posted in the wrong section, so what, let the moderators move it if they want to. I can't stand it when people just complain about a discussion just because they don't agree with it. I'm sure everyone reading this knows that there is not going to be a definitive answer that's going to come from this, but that doesn't mean that the pro's and con's can't be discussed in a polite manner.

Stop your braying. If this tripe were limited to singular threads such as this, then perhaps it would be tolerable, but this insipid nonsense ruins far too many threads. I also find it funny (and sad) that you find posts about where this "discussion" belongs useless, but some moron talking out his ass and making up facts is useful. Maybe you just haven't been around here long enough to see how stupid it is. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Regardless, I will continue to call out this kind of crap whenever I see it. You, similarly, can read some other thread if you don't like it.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #92 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have good enough system to tell you the difference.

Exactly.

I am getting pissed out. For all of you don't have enough experience or good enough system to tell the difference, stop miss leading other people!!
angry_face.gif

As I said even cellphone headset, you can tell burn-in improve the SQ!

This post really says it all much better than I ever could.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #93 of 150
My K701's use to be very fatiguing, and the highs would absolutely kill my ears after long listening sessions. Consistently, every time.

After more time burning in, they simply don't do that to my ears anymore. I'm listening to the same music, same set up, but I can actually stand (and very much enjoy) 4-5 hours of music at once through them.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #94 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have good enough system to tell you the difference.

Its early in the year, but I'l throw up a nomination for most arrogantly wrong post of the year right there.

Something is wrong with your headphones or amp if the flaws in a G08 are not strikingly clear. your headphones and amp look nice, the problem must be elsewhere, perpaps between the pads.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if it pertains to headphones, but here is an article by Danny Richie, a respected speaker designer:

Driver Burn-In
Burn-In Myths

I have posted similar links in the past.

Sorry to say, the way a headphone sounds the first time you hear it is how it always sounds to some. Different amp, different source, etc. Its still the first pile of crap removed from the box.

I am a believer in driver burn in for sure. OTOH, I think that people who dont listen to their headphones until they have *** hours on them are sad. momentary burn in reports are also fapomatic and arrogance of the poster at best. I dont think anyone should post their impressions of a headphone until they have a decent chunk of personal experience with them, and the headphones have an honest ammount of time on them regardless of whether they bought used or new. Check out the few reviews on these forums that have truly stood the tests of time. Its people who have owned the same thing for a year or 2... none of this get it in, belt out a review, pass it on BS. That BS is an assembly line.

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #95 of 150
Lemme say couple words ...

Dunno too much about burn-in, but here is my expirience:

I got me couple years ago, Yamaha's HP-1 Orthos, like new condition in original box!

They was resting in the box for really long time, styrofoam was stick on cord ... Like i say - looks like no one use them - they look like out from store ...

Now, i use them for couple hours, and - sound was kinda weak ...

I run them on M3 amp, and i decide to burn them in with "IsoTek - Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc" !

After fiew days, i can hear big diference ... really diferent headphones from the moment i took them out of the box ...

Now, i dont know if this is the case with Orthos or with all kind of headphones, but this is what i know for sure .... Burn In working on ym HP-1 ...

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #96 of 150
I think the reason why there so much confusion about burn-ins is quite simple:

Some designs in headphones and speakers require burn-in in order to perform as intended, while some designs do not need it.

If/when the user's manual TELLS YOU SPECIFICALLY to burn-in your headphones or speakers, then do as you're told by the user's manual. Otherwise, I don't bother. For example, The Digidesign RM series studio monitors are supposed to be burned-in--it says so in the manual. On the other hand, none of the headphones or speakers I've owned had ever had the manual tell me I'm supposed to burn-in, so I don't bother.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #98 of 150
Thanks to the OP and other posters for the links to the for and against evidence as to burn in. That has made this thread worthwhile for me.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #99 of 150
Burn-in is a myth in the way it's presented/understood by many audiophiles, as something that happens specifically within the drivers through playing back (specially crafted) sound.

Gradual degradation of drivers by environmental and wearer effects (sweat, etc) affecting the sound is not a myth. In terms of long-term ownership, it could be argued that you should use a phone (on-head will have far more effect that an off-head continuous playback for reasons which should be obvious) to get the true flavour of it's long-term-use character. As we know with some low-cost dynamic in-ear drivers, some give an accelerated example of this by degrading quite alarmingly with regular use, mainly through moisture absorption. The same, but to a lesser extent, happens with most headphones.

And neither is the psychological effects of listening to a headphone and 'normalising' to the sound of that phone a myth. This is the larger part of the equation IMO in most normal headphone use. And like most audiophile yardsticks, impossible to quantify if you're not taking a controlled approach to evaluation because everyone thinks their opinion is absolutely valid, regardless of the total lack of control in the evaluation.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #101 of 150
If burn in is due to a mechanical change why don't people find the sound continues to change due to any suspension plastic deformation? Wouldn't the changes continue after the 'burn in' period? They surely can't just suddenly stop?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #102 of 150
^ I'm going to stick my head out on an unpopular limb here.

The validity of burn-in etc. will always come up. Those tired of it can just ignore these threads. Those who choose not to ignore and then complain should seriously consider if they're tired of it or because of their long standing presence here are beginning to have an unjustified feeling of ownership/dominance that makes them inclined to want to stop threads that they're 'tired of' etc.

I can't fathom why burn-in, an issue central to headphones, would belong in a forum other than one for headphones.
confused.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #103 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If burn in is due to a mechanical change why don't people find the sound continues to change due to any suspension plastic deformation? Wouldn't the changes continue after the 'burn in' period? They surely can't just suddenly stop?

I don't think anyone would propose that they stop. More that it's less than it is as when the material is brand new. So much less, that it's inaudible or of much less significance.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #104 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'm going to stick my head out on an unpopular limb here.

The validity of burn-in etc. will always come up. Those tired of it can just ignore these threads. Those who choose not to ignore and then complain should seriously consider if they're tired of it or because of their long standing presence here are beginning to have an unjustified feeling of ownership/dominance that makes them inclined to want to stop threads that they're 'tired of' etc.

I can't fathom why burn-in, an issue central to headphones, would belong in a forum other than one for headphones.
confused.gif

My sentiments exactly. At least here, amongst the usual dross there is some actual evidence to be discussed. Shame such discussion cannot take place without others wanting to spoil it because they are 'bored' or whatever.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #105 of 150
If disbelievers want to feel frustrated we should say what swbf listed so they can feel justified.

This would be the one I use most
tongue.gif
-Is only saying such nonsense to save his life? Perhaps someone threatened them and they were forced to post it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back