Bundled software ripoffs
May 28, 2003 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
Bah, this is such ********.

Ok, here we go, two digital cameras, both with bundled software, both have the same asinine policies.

Olympus: we scratched the cd, wanted $30+ for a new copy of the software. The software is REQUIRED to transfer the images from the camera. We ended up buying a smartmedia reader for $10.

Canon: Straight up lost one of the software cds. THe important one, with a nice utility for joining images into a single panorama. Canon wants $20, plus $7 shipping for a new copy. What the ****? I paid $400 for this powershot s230, and I can take pictures of everything to prove that I own the damn thing.

Whatever happened to the concept of "replacement media"? I can call microsoft, or Seirra, or Macromedia and say "hey, the cd is broken, can you send me another?" and viola: $6 in shipping later I have a cd. Charging people again for something that they already have purchased (the license for the software) is absurd, anybody with me?

[/rant]

May 28, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 14
one word

STOPSCRATCHINGTHEDAMNCDS !

just kidding
biggrin.gif

most corporate sites have the software for download then just burn your own cd
cool.gif

May 28, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm with you all the way.

I especially hate the way
games require the cd
to be in your drive to
play the game (of course, there
are ways around this, but that's
beside the point). Handling the
cd's often increases your chances
of damaging them.

May 28, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
one word

STOPSCRATCHINGTHEDAMNCDS !

just kidding
biggrin.gif

most corporate sites have the software for download then just burn your own cd
cool.gif

Dammit, the canon cd just diapeared. I have no clue where it is, and it is the one I want, it had nifty features.

You think they would let you get it for free? Hell no, not when they can rip you off.

May 28, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 14
cannon,great products but knuckleheads just the same

(probably get sued for that one )

nothing for download at the site except for a driver update to fix certain conflicts

seems if you registered your camera you should get a copy for the cost of shipping

dunno

another option would be to have someone with the same camera burn you a copy of the cdrom

OR

the devious option

purchase ANOTHER damn cannon , copy the CD then return the camera/cd intact "jeez guys . it was a present for my father but mom already got him one which i had no knowl;edge of [your honor,I SWEAR !]"
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 14
the underhanded option: Go to best buy and demand that they replace the cd under the warrenty I bought from them, because the camera and accesories are covered. The software is... you guessed it: and accesory.

I cannot ask someone for a copy of the cd, jude and other message board admins would get a bit peeved, methinks.

May 28, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 14
i make it a personal rule to never ever use the bundled software anyway. this goes with computer hardware too. why use old video drivers when i can get the latest from the net? i always just download whatever driver i need from the website for a digital camera to work and copy the files over. then there's just photoshop for editing.

anyway, that sucks and i'd send you a copy of whatever you needed if i had that stuff laying around. sorry. :/

May 28, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 14
wellll....I wasn't really suggesting something underhanded but you DID actually purchase the product

and no one can say anything about private email correspondance
wink.gif

May 28, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 14
Grinch, same here, but this had a very very good program for stitching together multiple photos into a big panoramic. THe camera has a mode that lets you take a bunch of pctures, overlapping, and this program will merge them, with pretty damn good results.

I hadn't used it for a while, but I am goign to Hawaii tomorrow morning, and well... I think some panoramic shots may be in store.

May 29, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Capt, Quote:

I can call microsoft, or Seirra, or Macromedia and say "hey, the cd is broken, can you send me another?"

Not quite so easy.

You may still be able to copy a scratched CD. (I was able to copy a CRACKED CD (the crack went through the middle and didn't hit the outside. Guess the software part wasn't touched (inner part). I was afraid that the crack would cause it to break up into a million pieces when it was spinning).

So what does this teach you? To always backup any CDs you may have. Then put the originals in a SAFE place. Always backup your data on a computer. A 42x CD writer is now going for $20, on average. (Make sure it runs Nero)

oh, yeah. don't forget to label your copies. many people will just put a date and never list the contents. ever have to go through 100 cdrs to find that one utility, update, game save, document, or application? put the license numbers on the cd, too.

keep all the CD license material with the original (inside the manual). cut the barcode and on the box and staple it to the book. don't forget the original receipt. make copies of the receipt. (insurance reasons). write the date you bought a hard drive right on it. do not forget to register your product when you buy it. (like Grado headphones).

don't believe it?

quick, find your receipts for all the headphones you own. what do you mean you don't have all the recipts for all your music CDs?

and if you are playing your original CDs in your car, you are nuts. It was 111 degrees in Phoenix, today. In the direct sun, it was probably about 170 degrees.

May 29, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 14
SBomm, you may want to take your email off so that you don't get nailed by spammers. Oh yeah, you have an email concerning canon photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back