building computer based recording rig
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wanderman

Headphoneus Supremus
What is a good sound card for building up a pc rig for primarily recording guitar (acoustic and electric). I want the rig to be pretty modular because I won't be able to get everything in one go and I want to change out cheaper components with relative ease. Do I need a mixer? What is phantom power? Would a condenser mic or dynamic mic be better?

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 8
-ARRGH I can't get rid of that smiley!

I'm going to try to cut the crap on some questions that could have massive answers. So this will be opinionated, but I've been home recording for a while and there's lots of debate. The opinions I express will be those not just of my own, but the general concesus from others involved.

Microphone types:
-Condensor, used generally on vocals, often on guitars and amps, for drum overheads and in a few other places, generally perceived as better sound quality
-Dynamic, used live, can take a lot more punishment in terms of volume and handling, not as delicate
-Ribbon, expensive but very nice sounding

You want an sm57 a dynamic microphone made by shure. This mic doesn't break, is ubiquitous (everyone has one), sounds good but never OMG fantastic, but certainly wont be the weakest link in your chain. Plus it's very good value for money. You can use it on drums, guitars, vocals etc and it works well live too (though it's nomnidirectional AFAIK meaning you may get some feedback). You could record a whole album on one. This should be your first buy. I have one, and i've dropped it, kicked it, accidently disconnected the transformer and the wires to poke about inside, resoldered it, spilt beer on it and it still works wonderfully.

48V phantom power is required for certain microphones i.e. condensors, not dynamics and can damage ribbons

Do you need a mixer? - For the moment no. Mixers are useful but I imagine you'll be recording track at a time and the soundcard you buy will have a couple of inputs, you don't need one just yet.

Soundcard - Buy an external one. The apogee duet sounds incredible (I've just ordered one) and is probably the best thing available under $2000, and it costs a quarter of that). That'll take mics, electric guitars, and line level signals. Unfortunately you can only use it with a mac.
So I'd say get one second hand (as long as it's core duo) to do everything audio you want. If you get a second hand mac it will come with garageband which you can record with straight away.

Alternatively you can go cheaper and go with a usb motu, or better yet a focusrite with firewire (your computer will need firewire - but a mac would have that). Avoid edirol or m-audio for S/Q.

I'm actually selling my Mbox 2, which doesn't have the best sound for the money, but has quite a lot of good features (it comes with pro tools, which is very good if not quite complex software). If you're interested let me know (but no hassle, I may just hang on to it).

Oh get everything you can second hand or off ebay!

The guys @ macrumors.com's forums (digital audio) will be happy to advise even if you're not using a mac. Unfortunately I'm banned from there (until I change my IP, lol) for calling someone an idiot and generally being quite opinionated etc. heh.

Good luck

PS
If you need any further advice on a particular interface, mic etc. I'd be happy to help. I'm not a professional recording engineer but I know my stuff from working as studio manager at my uni radio station (unpaid of course!).

Zak

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 8
wouldn't there be latency issues when using an external card? I really don't want to be limited to one os but I will look at the mac route. Would garage band be able to mix in effects or would have to use pedals?

edit: could use cable to turn xlr to 1/4inch jack and slap that in my sound card Esi juli@?

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Latency is present in all digital audio recording but is generally not an issue with a half decent (especially PCI and to a lesser extent firewire) interface and max os x. Latency can be set within recording software (even garageband) as to allow for low latency monitoring and upping the latency during mixdown and editing. A mixer can be used to give you the original analogue signal with whatever has already been recorded as the latency is associated with listening to something that's been in and then out of the system. Some interfaces allow you to do this with an inbuilt mix function.

Using a mac you actually have the option of using any other OS you like x via dual booting as opposed to a wintel when you're stuck with linux/windows. However you pay for the pleasure, but then again os x is the defacto standard in audio recording.

The quarter inch adapter would be fine, but a lot of mics produce a balanced low level signal and therefore the quarter inch input on your Esi juli@ must be able to take a TRS (that's a seperated tip ring sleeve) balanced signal, or that it can handle an unbalanced (unbalanced by a TS adapter) mic signal (which in theory will sound worse, though in practice balanced cables are more important on longer runs).

The card looks half decent, however I'm sceptical about all but the most high quality pci cards inside a specifically designed chasis with a specifically designed motherboard with a specifically designed PSU, otherwise I believe there is a strong chance of noise. However I've always used an external interface.

Using an external interface with an external power supply would do much to negate this, however I believe the power on usb/firewire on my mac to be quite clean.

May 11, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a good sound card for building up a pc rig for primarily recording guitar (acoustic and electric). I want the rig to be pretty modular because I won't be able to get everything in one go and I want to change out cheaper components with relative ease. Do I need a mixer? What is phantom power? Would a condenser mic or dynamic mic be better?

E-MU 1616/1616M PCI ... you'll get everything you need.
- excellent pre-amps
- Hi-Z instrument inputs
- excellent A/D & D/A converters

By getting the 02 CardBus Card (can be bought separate), you'll be able to use the MicroDock w/ a laptop system too (hope they release Express version later).

E-MU Systems - Digital Audio Systems

jiitee

May 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac OS runs on intel based systems now. There is no point to buy a mac, ever.

Mac OS X...
wink.gif

Strong enough point for me. ..and I am not alone.

May 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 8
x2 for E-MU 1616M, or if that hurts your wallet, the 0404 USB. It's not exactly 'robust,' and it only provides two microphone inputs at once, but it's portable and an extremely good value considering how many things it does well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back