Building a Vinyl Rig
Jan 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jjhatfield

Frank
Well I'm very happy with my computer/CDP rig, and I am looking to build a vinyl rig for my "study" room (really just an empty room with an inclined writing table that I haven't received yet). I already own a few albums on vinyl, and other albums can be purchased so cheaply, this is looking to be like it could be an attractive obsession, what with the cleaning of the records, the playing of the records, etc.

What I already have:

Corda HA-2 MKII SE Headphone Amplifier: I'd start out with this, but no doubt eventually I'll end up with more tubes for this rig. But for the time being, I'll use this.

What I need:

Turntable: This is one thing I really think I'd like to buy new. I'm not willing to go poking around garage sales and thrift stores, and the idea of purchasing one on eBay and having it sent to me poorly packaged is a stress I'm not willing to take on. The immediately obvious choice is the Goldring GR1.2 from TTVJ. I know I'll get great service from Todd on this, which will give me piece of mind, and it is the most inexpensive turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo on his site. Does anyone have any experience with this turntable? Or can anyone give me any opinions?

Having said what I said about purchasing on eBay, I am willing to go vintage, but only if someone can recommend an online seller of vintage turntables who knows what they are doing.

Phono Stage Preamp or Vintage Receiver: I've got a few options here. I'm leaning towards getting a phono preamp, but the thought of being to listen to NPR or some tunes through a set of inexpensive speakers is an enticing one. Regardless, here are some I've come up with.

Phono Preamp:

TCC TC-760LC - $73.50
NAD PP2 - $139.00

I've heard the NAD PP2 can be had for $60-80 on eBay, but this one at the hefty price of $139 is the only one I can currently find. I've heard the TCC mentioned before around here, and I have a hard time not trusting someone who runs a site called www.phonopreamps.com, at least so far as the subject of phono preamps goes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Vintage Receiver:

I keep hearing Marantz, Marantz, Marantz:

Marantz 1515 - $69.00 BIN
Marantz 2226

Any other brands or model numbers I could search for on the bay?

Thanks for the advice the Head-Fi community has already given me in other threads, and thanks in advance for your feedback here.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I just got my dad an Audio Technica PL-50L over Christmas and I've got to say it's quite listenable and musical, even though it's only a truly entry level turntable. It's got an integrated (switchable out) phono stage and captive interconnects terminated in RCA, and includes two types of RCA to mini plug adapters.

He is using it connected through the integrated sound of his computer and they sound surprising good.

I've used Audacity to make 320 mbps MPEG3 and listened to them through an Apple iMac / optical / Benchmark DAC1 / Sennheiser HD650 and the ripped tracks, though not hi fi and with ticks and pops and other turntable distortions, still seems to be passing an inherently musical signal, with 30+ year old lps that were not well taken care of and just cleaned with the Discwasher D4+ system.

Seems like new Rega P1 is supposed to be good, and based on reviews I think the Pro-ject Debut III with Pro-ject Phono Box is also supposed to pass quite a musical signal.

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm not familiar with the Goldring, but I know the Rega P1 can be had for $350, new. Those are pretty good decks. Since it comes with a cartridge installed, setup is fast and easy.

That being said, don't be too afraid of used decks. I was worried about that when I bought my deck, but managed to find a great deal locally and picked it up. Setup really isn't that bad, either. Once I had all the parts together, it took about 15 minutes, including installing and aligning the cartridge. It's not that bad.

Also, that touches on why I like Rega decks so much. They're very simple and minimalist. There's very little that can go wrong and everything is easily installed and adjusted. Even better, there's a wealth of aftermarket parts for these decks. If anything breaks, or you want to upgrade, you can get anything you want.

For phono stages, I really like the PP2. It sounds good and the price isn't too bad, either. I'm still building a tubed phono stage, but this will fill in nicely until that one is done.

However, check out the old receivers. You can find out more about the Marantz and other decks here:

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com

My recommendation is to browse Craigslist, junk stores and thrift stores until one turns up. They always do, and you can often steal them for $10 or $20. It's better than eBay or other online sources, as these things are heavy and expensive to ship.

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my dad an Audio Technica PL-50L over Christmas and I've got to say it's quite listenable and musical, even though it's only a truly entry level turntable. It's got an integrated (switchable out) phono stage and captive interconnects terminated in RCA, and includes two types of RCA to mini plug adapters...

...Seems like new Rega P1 is supposed to be good, and based on reviews I think the Pro-ject Debut III with Pro-ject Phono Box is also supposed to pass quite a musical signal.

Wow, that PL-50 L can be had for $76 at amazon. I'll have to look into that. Thats so inexpensive it makes me suspicious.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the Goldring, but I know the Rega P1 can be had for $350, new. Those are pretty good decks. Since it comes with a cartridge installed, setup is fast and easy.

Thanks for letting me know about the Rega P1. Silly as it may sound, Rega is a brand name I am comfortable with; looks like a great deal.

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Based on my listening, I think that AT turntable (even with it's el cheapo integrated phono stage and captive interconnect) honestly sounds surprising musical, as long as you don't put it a very high resolution audio rig. Match it with a quality budget system and you may also be surprised at the music it produces (lack of high frequency extension may also mask the ticks and pops on poorly cared for lps).

It's all plastic, except for the aluminum platter and metal tonearm, but looks quite stlylish. It's truly plug and play and fully automatic.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 6
OMG.
blink.gif
Pardon the overused internet abbreviation, but I've just spent the last few hours searching and reading tons of threads on Rega's, Pro-Jects, Music Halls, and I am still no closer to clicking the buy button. I thought that purchasing an amp and a dac was difficult, MAN! The variety of opinions on different TT's and the companies that produce them is astonishing!

I'm going to have to sleep on this one, if anyone comes up with any brilliant advice for me overnight, I would appreciate it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back